Tall Street Trees along Main Street, U.S.A.

Were these street trees added just for this advertisement, or did Main Street have street trees this tall in 1980?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Tall Street Trees along Main Street, U.S.A.

Can't remember but I have pics that I can check for you.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Monorail Minion

I believe so... They seem to replace the trees every so often to keep them from ruining scale. Those were certainly pushing the limit.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

thank you for sharing the commercial. Isn't interesting that as we wait for the new 2013 coke commercial for Christmas that the Glade air freshener commercial has taken on that role. And as I stop and talk to neighbors on my daily walk and share holiday greetings I share with them to view the Christmas apple commercial. After just returning from Disneyland and not crying during the fireworks, the apple commercial brought brought this old man to tears.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

Were these street trees added just for this advertisement, or did Main Street have street trees this tall in 1980?
    The original Olive trees around the hub were replaced several years ago because they got too big. Disneyland was going to cut them down, but Tony Baxter intervened and was ably to save three (I think) of them and had them moved to his house in Anaheim Hills. It was a major and costly effort, but I think they are all thriving.

What is it with the three palm trees from the estate of the original land purchase? The bus driver shared that fact and every time the train entered into NOS I was always trying to find them in midst of the jungle berm.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

Here is an old postcard i found online. They are around the same time period as the commercial. 1970/1980

-> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    What is it with the three palm trees from the estate of the original land purchase? The bus driver shared that fact and every time the train entered into NOS I was always trying to find them in midst of the jungle berm.
    Yes, The Dominguez tree. Also, those bus drivers are usually wrong about a lot of stuff. Katela is not named after the Disney children, yet they use that all the time as a trivia question.

Fresh Baked Disney Disneyland Secret #1 - The Dominguez Tree - Fresh Baked Disney

thank you brian, very interesting, i am saving all those fun features to look for when i turn into an old man and can only ride snow white and the puppet next door. All things made of wood would be interesting to see and share with folks standing by wondering why indy isnt open.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Yes, The Dominguez tree. Also, those bus drivers are usually wrong about a lot of stuff. Katela is not named after the Disney children, yet they use that all the time as a trivia question.
    how did Katela get its name? please tell me the story of how Katela got its name. also please provide proof that I can share with my bus driver friends so they can be more accurate with their trivia

Quote Originally Posted by donaldduckfan#1 View Post
    how did Katela get its name? please tell me the story of how Katela got its name. also please provide proof that I can share with my bus driver friends so they can be more accurate with their trivia
    Katella Avenue is a combination of the names of Kate and Ella Rae. Kate founded the Anaheim Red Cross Chapter, and Ella was the first chairperson of the library board.

Source: City of Anaheim:
    http://www.anaheim.net/article.asp?id=216

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I believe so... They seem to replace the trees every so often to keep them from ruining scale. Those were certainly pushing the limit.
    I remember they took out a bunch of trees around the Matterhorn (sometime around 1994-1995) because they were getting too big and making the Matterhorn look smaller.

I have no idea what happened to the trees.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Parmageddon Jim

I was a sweeper at Disneyland in 1980, I remember the novelty of Main Street being covered in snow for the Coke commercial, and I remember when they replaced the trees that had become too tall. It was actually pretty shocking to me, these nice old trees, on nice old Main Street, that provided shade being ripped out and replaced with saplings! It took a while for me to wrap my head around the concept of "scale." I remember thinking, "But trees don't have scale!" Now, I tend to think of Main Street being perennially "new," and the newly planted trees just make sense.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by donaldduckfan#1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Katella Avenue is a combination of the names of Kate and Ella Rae. Kate founded the Anaheim Red Cross Chapter, and Ella was the first chairperson of the library board.

Source: City of Anaheim:
    http://www.anaheim.net/article.asp?id=216
    In 2010, Werner Weiss at Yesterland wrote a great piece on the Katella Avenue Myth.

TL;DR
    John and Margaret Rea and their daughters Kate and Ella moved to Anaheim in 1896. Their walnut ranch needed a name, but John wanted a more memorable name than Rea Ranch.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Donald's #1 Fan

I can't even remember any trees on Main Street! Are there any right now? I may remember them near the hub, but not lining the street!