Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Millennium Falcon already designed for Disneyland?

According to a source close to production, the iconic Millennium Falcon has already been built for 'Star Wars: Episode VII' and it could be bigger than ever.

"A full-scale 1:1 Millennium Falcon has been built as well as the interiors of the ship for filming," they explained. "The Falcon is done - inside and out. The sets were built off-site, ready to move when Lucasfilm/Bad Robot were ready to move into Pinewood."
    The Star Wars News Roundup - 12.6.13 - ComingSoon.net

Do you think the Millennium Falcon could be already designed for the parks since it has been built for the film.

• Minion

Re: Millennium Falcon already designed for Disneyland?

We don't even know yet if this project is happening.

What's this to do with Disneyland?

• No Disassemble!

It's going to cost money to transport, mount, and ADA-safe the whole thing. The company's not interested in making these kind of investments at the moment even though it would come at a value to the park's budget.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Callaghans View Post
    What's this to do with Disneyland?
    It's been rumored that the Millennium Falcon would appear in Tomorrowland as part of a major re-furb but plans have been cancelled due to financial issues.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I have a friend who is a freelance set builder for various Hollywood productions, and the new Star Wars is one of the sets he was working on. This would have been about a year ago. He didn't mention working on a Millennium Falcon, but he was working on walls and such.

I am thinking the Millennium Falcon will be CGI and the interiors would be individually built sets. If an actual Falcon was in fact built I highly doubt they would put it into the park because it wouldn't be durable enough to withstand years of exposure to the elements. Movie sets are rarely built to last.

•   
    • Minion

I doubt one has been built for the parks at all. If it ever happens I would think it's all an art concept currently.

• The doctor is in

There was no confirmation this was happening in the first place so the rumors of Star Wars Land being canceled or put on indefinite hold are just that... rumors.

I won't believe anything regarding any of the rumored park refurbs/updates until Disney announces it. As for the Millennium Falcon, I think it would be silly to place a full size ship in Tomorrowland just as a walk through attraction, but that might just be me.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Where did you hear that plans where canceled due to financial issues?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerfan3224 View Post
    According to a source close to production, the iconic Millennium Falcon has already been built for 'Star Wars: Episode VII'… and it could be bigger than ever.

"A full-scale 1:1 Millennium Falcon has been built as well as the interiors of the ship for filming," they explained. "The Falcon is done - inside and out. The sets were built off-site, ready to move when Lucasfilm/Bad Robot were ready to move into Pinewood."
    The Star Wars News Roundup - 12.6.13 - ComingSoon.net

Do you think the Millennium Falcon could be already designed for the parks since it has been built for the film.
    The realities of building for a film set - room for camera crews (plus directors, ADs etc.), room for lighting, access for cable runs - is a much different set of requirements than building for theme park use by customers. The Disneyland MF would have to be built with ADA tolerances, stronger setpieces that would see abuse daily from thousands of customers, would have to be built to meet CA building code standards (sets are normally built to be torn down, and not meant as permanent structures).

I just can't see it being a direct import. By the time they got done tearing it apart, reinforcing it, changing out fragile practical effects pieces for customer friendly approximations etc. you'd probably be looking at a more expensive and labor-intensive build than simply starting from scratch.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I just can't see it being a direct import. By the time they got done tearing it apart, reinforcing it, changing out fragile practical effects pieces for customer friendly approximations etc. you'd probably be looking at a more expensive and labor-intensive build than simply starting from scratch.
    Playing devil's advocate a bit, there would be just as many complications with building a full 1:1 replica just to use as a film set. There are far too many benefits to just building it piece meal on a sound stage than building it full size. Any exterior shots would require a boat load of CGI anyway, so why not just do the whole thing in CGI? It seems that building a full size replica would be an expense that isn't needed at all for the film.

On the other hand, if they were building it specifically to go into the park from the get go, and getting to use it for filming the movies turned out to be a happy circumstance, then this rumor would make a whole heck of a lot more sense to me.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    ... As for the Millennium Falcon, I think it would be silly to place a full size ship in Tomorrowland just as a walk through attraction, but that might just be me.
    Or for any other reason actually. It is not just you. Many think an over expansion of the Star Wars presence in Tomorrowland is a bad idea.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I could see them showing parts of the set of the Millenium Falcon in Innoventions when the movie comes out, sort of like what they did when Iron Man came out.

• Minion

Half of the Falcon was built for the first film in 1977 (which I will always call "Star Wars") and a full-size version was built for "The Empire Strikes Back" but scrapped after "Return of the Jedi" so it's not unlikely that a 1:1 Falcon was built for the new film, even though they could easily get away with limited (or no) physical set. It would be fun if they parked it somewhere at the DLR, even if you couldn't board it. It wouldn't be as jaw-dropping as the full-size Star Trek Enterprise that downtown Las Vegas wanted to build in the early 1990s, but still.

• Not the Hawkguy

I could see it being a full 1:1 Falcon skeleton built for outdoor shots (and by outdoor shots, I mean any shots taking place outside the ship like they had in Empire on the asteroid) and have the interior built into different soundstages. No way this is even close to the rumored walk-through Falcon that would be built for Disneyland, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast