Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio

They sell it more because it's cheaper for them? I only could do WDW program as I am International... But I was lucky to get a higher paid location... My friends worked Main Street Ops all summer and only made 7.79 an hour... Can't imagine. Minimum wage up here is 10.25.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Re: How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Whats the alternative? I would not want to live in a world without a min. wage in place.
    The problem with the constant ballooning of minimum wage is that many corporations do not increase wages for others that are already past the minimum.

What at does happen is that corporations have to make up the difference in the wage hike so they make it up by raising pricing on their products. It is especially noticeable where many employees are near or on minimum wages like supermarkets or you corner fast food place.

now you have a more expensive product that EVERYone has to pay for. That raise in wage has become worthless now. People above minimum wage are still working the same for a devalued wage and now spending more. The constant minimum wage hike only benefits a minor group and it's main purpose is defined in this simple sentence

P. Henry -- Lawndale, Calif: "It should also be pointed out that by raising the minimum wage, more money flows into the federal and state treasuries in the form of increased tax revenues from the higher incomes."

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    All I know is this summer at Disney World, college program was making 7.79 an hour... I was lucky due to my location and got about 8.75.. Not sure what Disneylands wages are..
    The minimum wage in Florida is going up by a whopping 14 cents next year. So now if you go back, you'll get $7.93! I here that Castmembers really hate the College program and that its nothing more than a cheap labor program disguised as an "Internship." That's another subject though.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The problem with the constant ballooning of minimum wage is that many corporations do not increase wages for others that are already past the minimum.

What at does happen is that corporations have to make up the difference in the wage hike so they make it up by raising pricing on their products. It is especially noticeable where many employees are near or on minimum wages like supermarkets or you corner fast food place.

now you have a more expensive product that EVERYone has to pay for. That raise in wage has become worthless now. People above minimum wage are still working the same for a devalued wage and now spending more. The constant minimum wage hike only benefits a minor group and it's main purpose is defined in this simple sentence

P. Henry -- Lawndale, Calif: "It should also be pointed out that by raising the minimum wage, more money flows into the federal and state treasuries in the form of increased tax revenues from the higher incomes."
    If I recall there is no state income tax in Florida, so that further gives Disney the incentive to market their college program more heavily in Florida than in California. It's simply less expensive for them over there.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    A mutually agreed upon hourly wage/annual salary to the employee for an agreed amount of hours/service delivered to the employer.

Why not? I worked for min wage several times. Was I worth my pay that first week? Nope. Did I quickly advance beyond min wage both times? Yep.
    That would only work in a perfect world. Companies have proven over and over they can't be trusted.

Its also not possible at all companies to move up, no matter how hard one works. While I make above min. wage by 3 dollars, no amount of hard work will see me move up, why? Because its a small hotel owned by 1 person, we have no management positions or anything above entry level.

If only a minor group are affected by min. wage increases then it should only have a minor affect on price increases, everytime there is a min. wage hike somewhere, people come out and cry the sky is falling, and it never does.

Around here no grocery store pays min. wage, a good chunk are union, and others just pay more then min.. wage, hell not even Wal-Mart starts at min. wage.

But those places who do start at min. wage are mostly fast food franchises and offer pretty much no opportunity to grow since they are owned locally by families and not corporations.

Just because the sign says Mcdonalds, doesn't mean anything, a lot are just owned by individuals who offer their employees no opportunity for advancement.

Only jobs that seem to be min. wage in my area are food service, and I'll pay a bit more for that since its not something I do daily, and has a minimal effect on me if menu prices go up a few cents.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 12-27-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Everything will go up in price everywhere. Then the government will probably lower the value of the dollar by printing more money, your money in the bank will buy less, so just buy your season pass now.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Either that or the company will cut down or minimize their staff. Trust me there's nothing worse than working someplace that has a constant issue with under-staffing.

• Disneyland Dreamer

That would only work in a perfect world. Companies have proven over and over they can't be trusted..
    Can't be trusted to do what?

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Can't be trusted to do what?
    Pay reasonable wages. Too soon people have forgotten what it was like before min. wage laws. There is a reason we have the laws we have now, companies treated employees horribly when left to their own with little regulation from the government.

Its nice and fun to think we can all negotiate a wage that allows people to provide housing and eat, but its not reality, reality is companies wont negotiate or treat low level employees with any respect or fairness.

How many companies will negotiate a wage with their employees? I've yet to work for one, all I have worked for it was a take the wage or leave, someone else will work for it, there was no wiggle room to try and get more.

I've worked for companies large and small, and none negotiated wages, they told you what the pay was, and you either accepted it and got the job, or you declined the wage and continued looking for a job.

High level employees and middle management may have negotiating room for wages, but most employees do not.

Around here if skilled workers like nurses have no negotiating pay, the health systems have pay scales with the unions and they are set based on employment length.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    All I know is this summer at Disney World, college program was making 7.79 an hour... I was lucky due to my location and got about 8.75.. Not sure what Disneylands wages are..
    Add a couple bucks to that to start in Attractions, and the pay scale rises quicker over the first five years on the job. Plus a contract bonus of up to $1,000, with additional money for those with more than 10 years seniority. Stores CM's are 50 cents to a dollar more than Attractions. Add an extra dollar or two on top of Stores for Foods and Guest Relations and Custodial CM's, and a few more dollars on top of that for Security Host/Hostesses.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Pay reasonable wages. Too soon people have forgotten what it was like before min. wage laws. There is a reason we have the laws we have now, companies treated employees horribly when left to their own with little regulation from the government.

Its nice and fun to think we can all negotiate a wage that allows people to provide housing and eat, but its not reality, reality is companies wont negotiate or treat low level employees with any respect or fairness.

How many companies will negotiate a wage with their employees? I've yet to work for one, all I have worked for it was a take the wage or leave, someone else will work for it, there was no wiggle room to try and get more.
    That's how employment works. Its a mutually agreed upon contract between employer and employee. Nobody is "entitled" to a wage which allows people to provide housing and eat. They are "entitled" to do X task/service/duration for Y compensation. Nothing more. If someone is only worth $5/hr in contribution, but the .gov mandates $10/hr in compensation, you are either subsidizing the under performer from other areas of the business or you simply don't have a business. Min wage jobs aren't intended to support oneself or a family on, they are temporary working situations with high turnover, minimal barrier to entry, and low/no skill required. As one acquires skill/knowledge/experience, one moves on from said vocations.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is, frankly, disgusting. Minimum-wage and maximum-hours laws increase aggregate demand and economic growth while improving socioeconomic mobility. The policy is win-win.

•   
    • Minion

This is the truth of it. People like to complain about things like OSHA, sexual harassment laws, minimum wage, mandated breaks, etc. but the fact is that when they're policing themselves, many if not most companies cannot be trusted to treat their workers fairly, safely and ethically, make safe products (see "The Jungle"), offer equal protection under the law, etc. The laws wouldn't be there if the companies didn't make them necessary.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The amount of misinformation in this thread is, frankly, disgusting. Minimum-wage and maximum-hours laws increase aggregate demand and economic growth while improving socioeconomic mobility. The policy is win-win.
    For every study you can cite, I could cite a contradicting study.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast