Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensation?

How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensation? The minimum wage will be $9hr effective July1st, 2014 and $10hr effective January 1st, 2016. Will Disney use this as an excuse to raise prices? Will Disney raise cast member pay with the new hike? Does anyone have any insight?

Sorry, I thought the first hike was in January of 2014, but its July of 2014. Only reason why I started the thread.
    Last edited by rob3gd; 12-26-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: First hike is July 2014 not january

Re: How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio

Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio? The minimum wage will be $9hr effective January 1st, 2014 and $10hr effective January 1st, 2016. Will Disney use this as an excuse to raise prices? Will Disney raise cast member pay with the new hike? Does anyone have any insight?
    I would be very surprise if DLR is paying many of its employees minimum wage

• Can Only Wish For More!

Re: How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio

How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio? The minimum wage will be $9hr effective July 1st, 2014 and $10hr effective January 1st, 2016. Will Disney use this as an excuse to raise prices? Will Disney raise cast member pay with the new hike? Does anyone have any insight?
    Bold is the corrections. July 1st, 2014 and January 1st, 2016.

Disney SHOULD give the CM's a raise, SHOULD, but it is completely up to management to do so.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Can Only Wish For More!

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Just above, back when I was working there.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Many of their employees make at or very near minimum wage and work part time. They've long relinquished the "decent paying starter job" mantle to In-'n'-Out burger, by decades even.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Hooterville, USA

Disney doesn't need a reason to raise ticket prices.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disneyland Dreamer

How will CA's new minimum wage hike effect DLR prices and Cast Member compensatio? The minimum wage will be $9hr effective January 1st, 2014 and $10hr effective January 1st, 2016. Will Disney use this as an excuse to raise prices? Will Disney raise cast member pay with the new hike? Does anyone have any insight?
    First off, its not an EXCUSE for raising prices if the labor costs go up, its an unfortunate byproduct of labor rates being artificially raised. Disney will indeed raise CM pay for anybody currently below the new minimum wage. Will those currently at or above it get raises? Probably not. Says a lot when you bust your butt to work your way up and the .gov steps in and devalues your work with a stroke of a pen, huh?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Disney doesn't need a reason to raise ticket prices.
    Exactly. They will annually raise prices just because they can.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    First off, its not an EXCUSE for raising prices if the labor costs go up, its an unfortunate byproduct of labor rates being artificially raised. Disney will indeed raise CM pay for anybody currently below the new minimum wage. Will those currently at or above it get raises? Probably not. Says a lot when you bust your butt to work your way up and the .gov steps in and devalues your work with a stroke of a pen, huh?

Whats the alternative? I would not want to live in a world without a min. wage in place.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Whats the alternative?
    A mutually agreed upon hourly wage/annual salary to the employee for an agreed amount of hours/service delivered to the employer.

I would not want to live in a world without a min. wage in place.
    Why not? I worked for min wage several times. Was I worth my pay that first week? Nope. Did I quickly advance beyond min wage both times? Yep.

• Singing Drinker

...and thus begins another political fight over low wages.

To the actual topic:

It will affect DLR prices exactly as much as DLR wants them to. They MORE than cover their bottom line on wages (otherwise the parks wouldn't be as profitable and you'd very likely see the end of the seasonal hire rush). Prices will likely gradually rise, but that won't be a matter of "otherwise DLR goes in the red" so much as "otherwise, profits and bonuses would be a small fraction of a percentage lower".
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

All I know is this summer at Disney World, college program was making 7.79 an hour... I was lucky due to my location and got about 8.75.. Not sure what Disneylands wages are..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

A VIP Tour charges $355 an hour. The VIP Tour Guide running that tour receives $11 an hour....
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    All I know is this summer at Disney World, college program was making 7.79 an hour... I was lucky due to my location and got about 8.75.. Not sure what Disneylands wages are..
    Current min wage in California is $8 per hour. No wonder why the college program at WDW is so much more popular than at DL.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    A VIP Tour charges $355 an hour. The VIP Tour Guide running that tour receives $11 an hour....
    just sad....I make 14 and hour and I don't make my company 355 an hour

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast