Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: People Mover today - how would it be perceived?

Quote Originally Posted by hanshotfirst77 View Post
    It would be a great thing to reintroduce now, but I think it's still a safety issue. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see the People Mover come back, I just think guest safety is Disney's main concern.
    If it's so dangerous that it's a safety concern of Disney. Why does it operate in Florida?

Post# 1000
    Last edited by Quentin; 12-31-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm seeing safety brought up. So let's consider what made it unsafe back in the old days:

-not enough safety measures in the ride to stop when something or someone falls on the track.

-not enough cameras

-no safety restraints

-no good evacuation measures

I suppose for the outside tracks, they would need to add extra paths to walk on with handle bar rails… and multiple locations for stairs or ramp for our disabled guests. This is probably the most difficult aspect of an update.

Security cameras and sensors to brake the ride if something falls on the track should be standard.

Safety restraints would prevent guests from crawling all over the place.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

It wasn't a distraction; it was a good attraction and a fine example of "the park is the ride" concept. You sat down and got a rest from your weary feet while still seeing some of the park. Glimpses into most of the attractions of Tomorrowland and a few moments in the TRON speed tunnel which was awesome. Riding the PeopleMover was pleasant on a summer evening and of course the people-watching was part of the show. You could look down on the shiny glamour of Tomorrowland at night, back in the days when it was pulsating with motion, energy and life. And it was a demonstration of a possible transportation system of the future. Back in the late 1960s we really did think that this was what the cities of 2000 would look like. Though it never came to pass in the "real world" I still think they did right by showing something innovative to the public. As far as how it would be perceived if it were running today, well kids today are used to speed, thrills, high tech, violence and nonstop action, so the kids of today would be bored with it. If they were to ever start it up again they should extend the track to have a station in the corner of DCA; then it would actually serve as transportation.

Name:  tomorrowland2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  126.8 KB

• Hooterville, USA

It's funny that the monorail is still used today, and it doesn't go to any parking structure or even DCA for a stop. So why would the PM have to? It was moronic when they removed the PM, and it's moronic that they haven't brought it back!

If Innoventions has a place at DL, then bringing back the PM is a no brainer.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I would like if they brought it back, or put something on those tracks. The track need to be used or taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    If it's so dangerous that it's a safety concern of Disney. Why does it operate in Florida?
    I personally think if it's so amazing and people were riding it as much as the one in Florida (which is not really packed anyway), that it wouldn't have been closed. So, to me, safety seems to be the issue.

When I've looked up incident reports when it comes to the PeopleMover in the past (and right now to make sure I am correct), the only incidents/deaths I could find were from DL, not WDW. One incident, two deaths. I couldn't find anymore for either park.

So, as for why it operates in Florida and not California? Well, Floridians I guess don't typically like to play the game of "let's jump into one of the other moving carts" for fun.

• formerly very helpful

I would love to see it return, but I think they would have to jazz it up somehow. Much of what gave People Mover its enjoyment, I think, was not just how you were moving on a track, but what you were looking at, such as the views of Tomorrowland and ride previews. However, I don't think today's audiences would be satisfied to sit and watch Tomorrowland scenery go by. I would like to see them add animatronic tableaus showing a futuristic city and how people are living and working there. It would also, to my mind, do much to build up Tomorrowland as a living, thriving city, rather than the ghost town it seems to be today.

I would love if the peoplemover came back with a Wall-e theme! It could be based on a flight on the axiom. Inside of the show buildings they could have Wall-e show scenes using animatronics. It's a simple overlay on the same attraction.

• I'm not really here

Having experienced it in all its glory back in the day, I think that having it built (or re-built) now would force a lot of rose colored glasses to come off. It wasn't a great ride. It was a box that went slowly in a loop. There wouldn't be much of a line for it, not because it has a high capacity or anything, but because there would be no widespread general interest in it. It was a slow moving box that didn't look that cool, moved slowly and gave you views of the park. We already have 2 rides that do that in far more style, the train and the monorail. Steam trains are far more nostalgic, actually transport you around the park (4 stops). The monorail is far more futuristic looking, more efficient, faster, and actually transports you (2 stops). The Peoplemover just doesn't serve any real function. Even the function of addition kinetics to the land isn't a good enough argument. It because building it for building its sake.

Some may contend that it is still futuristic because we don't have them all over, but the fact of the matter is, it has been done before. Bringing it back isn't new or exciting or looking forward at all. That was a dream of the future from the 60s. I would rather they cook up a dream of the future from now. We have nearly 50 years of perspective and growth and learning and change since the Peoplemover was built. Let's put that to use instead of trying to return to a past 5 decades old.

I think if they tried to build this today, it would be busy initially from some curiosity, but mostly nostalgia seekers. Crowds would quickly dwindle and all that would be left would be the nostalgia riders who remember it fondly from their youth (nothing really wrong with feeling that way) and the sore footers needing a walking break. It's best left where it is now... our memories. It enjoys a far happier time there than it would in a modern reality.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Under that tree again!

People Mover would invoke a lot of Nastagia.

I'm not in the return people mover camp. I would like a similar ride to tour the land. I want Tomorrowland to almost be torn down and rebuilt so a new transport ride would require the same.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Having experienced it in all its glory back in the day, I think that having it built (or re-built) now would force a lot of rose colored glasses to come off. It wasn't a great ride. It was a box that went slowly in a loop. There wouldn't be much of a line for it, not because it has a high capacity or anything, but because there would be no widespread general interest in it. It was a slow moving box that didn't look that cool, moved slowly and gave you views of the park. We already have 2 rides that do that in far more style, the train and the monorail. Steam trains are far more nostalgic, actually transport you around the park (4 stops). The monorail is far more futuristic looking, more efficient, faster, and actually transports you (2 stops). The Peoplemover just doesn't serve any real function. Even the function of addition kinetics to the land isn't a good enough argument. It because building it for building its sake.

Some may contend that it is still futuristic because we don't have them all over, but the fact of the matter is, it has been done before. Bringing it back isn't new or exciting or looking forward at all. That was a dream of the future from the 60s. I would rather they cook up a dream of the future from now. We have nearly 50 years of perspective and growth and learning and change since the Peoplemover was built. Let's put that to use instead of trying to return to a past 5 decades old.

I think if they tried to build this today, it would be busy initially from some curiosity, but mostly nostalgia seekers. Crowds would quickly dwindle and all that would be left would be the nostalgia riders who remember it fondly from their youth (nothing really wrong with feeling that way) and the sore footers needing a walking break. It's best left where it is now... our memories. It enjoys a far happier time there than it would in a modern reality.

My favorite thing about the People Mover is that it "wasn't a great ride" as you put it. In fact, that's why it was great! I don't understand why everything needs to be some E-Ticket level attraction.

The People Mover is as great, in my opinion, as something like the Disneyland Railroad, Monorail, Skyway, Mark Twain, Columbia. They're "transportation attractions" in which it shows you different parts of the park from a different perspective. And in addition to that, you being on the ride becomes an attraction to those who are just walking by.

There's a lack of motion in Tomorrowland. When the Submarines eventually become extinct, there will be even less motion in the park. I think with the advent of Fast Pass, the People Mover would be more popular than it was in the early 90s. For me, it was a great way to stop and figure out what we're going to do next… all while enjoying the views of Tomorrowland.

I'm perfectly okay with a People Mover 2.0 that can also be updated to keep things fresh.

Totally agree with Mycroft.

It really wasn't that great..its so beloved now because of its nostalgia and because we DONT have it.

In all honestly, if it came back it would be popular at first but then fade off. I don't even want to see it be used as transportation to other parts of the resort. I much rather see the monorail add stops at the hotels and DCA, which Im sure would be more cost effective.

They need to either re-purpose the infrastructure (which they've already proved is a difficult task) or just tear it down. Its ugly and intrusive.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    My favorite thing about the People Mover is that it "wasn't a great ride" as you put it. In fact, that's why it was great! I don't understand why everything needs to be some E-Ticket level attraction.
    That's not what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that it wasn't event great at what you describe. A fair amount of the time was spent either in narrow dark tunnels with incredibly limited and short views through windows, behind trees, or duplicating views achieved from the monorail or railroad.

I agree, motion is sorely and desperately needed in Tomorrowland, but I think there are far better and more efficient uses of space, energy, design teams, etc, than bringing back any version (old or re-imagined) of the People Mover. The People Mover didn't really offer anything different. You sit in a box and see Tomorrowland. Monorail = sit in a different shaped box and see Tomorrowland (but you also see Fantasyland, DCA, Downtown Disney, and serves as multi-stop transport). Railroad = sit in a different shaped box and see Tomorrowland (but you also go around the entire park, and serves as multi-stop transport). So the People Mover is like a lesser version of 2 other rides. Despite seeing the same scenery on the Mark Twain and Columbia, the experience is vastly different as you have the below decks/deck guns, rigging, sails on the Columbia and the steam engine, paddle, etc, on the Twain.

Even re-imagined, I don't think the People Mover is a worthy attraction for Tomorrowland. They can do better. They should do better. The People Mover, in any form, shouldn't be an option on the table.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 12-30-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: additional clarification

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hooterville, USA

It needs to come back. Update it, plus it, or whatever the newest term is, but bring it back!!!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Even re-imagined, I don't think the People Mover is a worthy attraction for Tomorrowland. They can do better. They should do better. The People Mover, in any form, shouldn't be an option on the table.

That's where I disagree. In my mind, a People Mover 2.0 would not be just another "box" that you ride around in. It would be interactive to you and your surroundings. Not only would it be a current tour of tomorrowland like it once was, using digital technology it could also be varied with options to look into the past or what it used to be. Have a vehicle that can rotate directions, allowing the guests to control where they look. And those tunnels? Not dark anymore. Not in my head they aren't. There's lots of ways a People Mover could be returned in grand fashion and worth a trip every time.

In a vehicle for little kids? With a push of a button they can turn it into a "where's waldo" type game and aim a target to find hidden characters or whatever.

My point is, there's a lot they can do. It doesn't just have to be the same box.

That along with returning the Rocket Jets/Astro Orbitor up to the upper platform would make Tomorrowland a much better place indeed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast