Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: People Mover today - how would it be perceived?

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Of COURSE they'd get a better reaction - there'd be noone around who could remember the ride or what it was.
    I don't think it prudent to assume that "new" must equal a "better reaction" in this scenario. One can never say, with absolute certainty, "OF COURSE" when it comes to DL audience reaction. Tastes change, as do standards and perception.

Personally, I don't see much of a best case scenario. Just lesser evils. All realistic options aren't very attractive, IMO. And it looks like I'm not the only one--the Park has been stuck in this PM/RR Limbo for a quite some time, now.

In any case, hopefully Disney will either fish or cut bait soon, and make the PM part of DL's future or its past, once and for all.

The real reason the Peoplemover closed was because of the half-baked TL98 upgrade. Rocket Rods wasn't clearly thought out and upgrading the track removed the PMs legacy status with Cal-OSHA. After RR closed, the PM couldn't be restored until it met all of OSHA's requirement as a new ride system, not to mention the RR stressing out the original track.

To bring back the PM will require a rebuilding of the tracks, widening all openings into buildings and a ridiculous standard for emergency exits. It could be done but it would have to be during a Tomorrowland overhaul where every show building could be closed.

Personally, I think it should come back in a different incarnation; A little faster and smoother but not a roller-coaster. Adding a few show elements in each building or even it's own show building could be done during the overhaul.

The people who don't miss the PM are usually those who never rode it or didn't like it from the beginning as too boring.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    The real reason the Peoplemover closed was because of the half-baked TL98 upgrade. Rocket Rods wasn't clearly thought out and upgrading the track removed the PMs legacy status with Cal-OSHA. After RR closed, the PM couldn't be restored until it met all of OSHA's requirement as a new ride system, not to mention the RR stressing out the original track.

To bring back the PM will require a rebuilding of the tracks, widening all openings into buildings and a ridiculous standard for emergency exits. It could be done but it would have to be during a Tomorrowland overhaul where every show building could be closed.

Personally, I think it should come back in a different incarnation; A little faster and smoother but not a roller-coaster. Adding a few show elements in each building or even it's own show building could be done during the overhaul.

The people who don't miss the PM are usually those who never rode it or didn't like it from the beginning as too boring.
    That's definitely a generalized opinion on people who don't miss the PM.

I do like the idea of a sped up version of the ride, but I might take it a step further: have it be a ride with variable speeds. Specifically, have it slow down when giving a glimpse into a ride or coming up on some static setpiece, and speed up at other parts.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    That's definitely a generalized opinion on people who don't miss the PM.

I do like the idea of a sped up version of the ride, but I might take it a step further: have it be a ride with variable speeds. Specifically, have it slow down when giving a glimpse into a ride or coming up on some static setpiece, and speed up at other parts.
    I believe the Disney World version does this to some extent.

• Artistic integrity

How would the PM be perceived today?

That's not hard.

All one has to do is look at it's run in WDW.

Where it remains popular to this day.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

I'm not so certain this is a good indicator of what its reception at Disneyland would be.
    Also, so many people list this as a good attraction to ride on crowded days, which would seem to indicate it isn't super popular (even factoring in capacity), but just there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Donald's #1 Fan

I rode the DL and WDW PeopleMover when I was a kid, and WDW's as an adult.

From my memories... I really enjoyed WDW's PeopleMover as an adult - the relaxed pace and the views were unbeatable. As a kid, though, it was more of a rest stop while between rides. I never thought of it as a proper ride.

How wrong I was...

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    How would the PM be perceived today?

That's not hard.

Is it really that popular? It always seems to be a walk-on ride with 0 wait, and is considered more of a way to pass time between rides than anything.

And at the same time, how would you measure popularity? I think Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is an extremely popular ride, but people continually want to bring it up as a ride that should be gotten rid of.

I think we really look at the PM through rose-colored glasses, and I feel at the end of the day it shouldn't be brought back in any form. Take the entire track down and you can do some interesting things with the newly-available space. I know people love the idea of People Mover adding to a more kinetic Tomorrowland, but I'd love to see the land move in a different direction, if only to differentiate it from WDW Tomorrowland.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post

I like this idea. A bridge between People Mover, which many thought was too slow and boring, with the Rocket Rods, which was just…. not a good idea with that execution.

What would be neat if there was a section of the People Mover that displayed all that was officially announced and coming to the Disneyland resort. Kind of a different sort of "Blue Sky Cellar", but always looking into the future. That would be just one way the ride will always be fresh and worth checking out.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Re: The People Mover can be updated for today's audiences

Buzz Lightyear is staying unless Tomorrowland gets a complete makeover and removes the ride entirely as part of it. The ride itself is phenomenal at whpat it does, providing an interactive experience for guests while giving the park a popular (it always has at least a 15 minute wait, rarely has a walk-on) high-capacity ride. And the Star Wars rumors for the park are only rumors, and rather far-fetched ones at that.

As for the 3D things, let me put it more bluntly: 3D is a gimmick that is already present in 2 spots in the land (Star Tours, Magic Eye Theater). What makes 3D work is the novelty, and putting another attraction in the same area that utilizes 3D would burn people out and cause diminishing returns.
    Note: 3D is being heavily invested in throughout all the Disney parks in the world, so I don't know why you think your broad opinion on the issue could possibly be remotely accurate

Care to place a wager on this and also be willing to eat your words in the process?

Your predictions couldn't be anymore off-base from the reality of WHOM Disney is currently designing these rides for. Hint, its not you.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage View Post
    Note: 3D is being heavily invested in throughout all the Disney parks in the world, so I don't know why you think your broad opinion on the issue could possibly be remotely accurate

Care to place a wager on this and also be willing to eat your words in the process?

Your predictions couldn't be anymore off-base from the reality of WHOM Disney is currently designing these rides for. Hint, its not you.
    ???

• Not the Hawkguy

Yeah, I'd be willing to place a wager on that. Here's what I bet:

IF the People Mover ever comes back (which I honestly doubt at this point) it wouldn't have a 3D component. Any scenes the ride would have outside of showing queues would be either static show scenes or something similar to the former Speed Tunnel/TRON Tunnel, which is just projections.

• Singing Drinker

Yeah, I'd be willing to place a wager on that. Here's what I bet:

IF the People Mover ever comes back (which I honestly doubt at this point) it wouldn't have a 3D component. Any scenes the ride would have outside of showing queues would be either static show scenes or something similar to the former Speed Tunnel/TRON Tunnel, which is just projections.
    They're getting pretty good at "glassless" 3D - it's still VERY dependent on the angle of the viewer though.

I highly disagree that a 3D component including glasses would be a good fit for any system like this - Transformers is an interior building and they lose glasses out the side of the cars frequently, and frequently not accidentally (I've watched people throw them). This problem would not be helped by it happening over the Lagoon or even - god forbid - into the face of a tourist walking underneath.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Who are they designing the rides for? I always find it insulting when people use this silly argument. Well, if you don't like something, tough, they don't give a crap about you anyways. If this were true it would lead to certain failure.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Who are they designing the rides for? I always find it insulting when people use this silly argument. Well, if you don't like something, tough, they don't give a crap about you anyways. If this were true it would lead to certain failure.
    Uncle Bob, I'd bet my HOUSE that you and Nirya are not the target demographic for Disney's current ride design parameters. You were at ONE time in the past, but I'm sure you are no longer the target group for future ride design. Its no coincidence that Disney's park rival, Universal, has so many 3D rides. Disney WILL FOLLOW SUIT to compete for market share. Note my argument is not about whether 3D is "good" or "bad". I just feel its a highly likely design route for any future revamp of Tomarrowland. To think otherwise is sheer stupidity.

As I said, this is a "wait and see" issue. By the time anyone here is proved "right" or "wrong" the thread will be long forgotten anyway.

Here are some articles for you to read and learn from:

http://www.whitehutchinson.com/blog/...cking-twitter/

http://dialog.scarborough.com/index....usement-parks/
    Last edited by momosgarage; 01-03-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast