Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• I'm not really here

Re: People Mover today - how would it be perceived?

Not sure why you bring this up. My opinion hasn't really changed very much. I don't think the PM should come back as it was, I do think the land is missing motion above the entrance (not the Astro Orbiter which blocks the entrance). As for what should be put in exactly, what I said 8 years ago can't seriously be used to challenge my view now. As for the look, that doesn't preclude any ride system or type. It's just an aesthetic. And whatever is put in should match whatever the land will be.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Can't they bring it back and expand the track to DCA to help with the crush of people who hit the gate when the fireworks start?
    Since DCA and DLR have separate gates you really can't move the PM or Monorail to both parks. You would have to have a one-gate structure to two parks.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It's just an aesthetic. And whatever is put in should match whatever the land will be.
    More to the point, what it should be:

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements.... A step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals, the atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful and unified world."
    - Walt Disney's Tomorrowland Dedication Speech - July 17, 1955

and, from an audio tour of Tomorrowland:

"Now it is time for a preview of the World of Tomorrow. We step into the future and find fantastic atomic-powered machines working for us. The world is unified and peaceful...outer space is the New Frontier. We walk for a time among the strange mechanical wonders of tomorrow, and then blast off on a Rocket To The Moon."
    - 1958 Audio Tour of Disneyland by Walt Disney

TL attractions have always been a bit chaotic; a mix of tomorrow's innovations, science-fiction, fantasy, today's tech, and sponsored informercials. But in the past, it seemed like TL was focused on US, humanity, and our role in the future; how WE would be affected by the future, and how WE would, in turn affect it.

The PM, like many TL attractions of the past, was a concept that centered on the problems of the human condition, and offered a hopeful futuristic view that showcased our triumph over adversity. The PM's concept was terrific (though the execution was spotty, IMO). But, I don't think people are really interested in this kind of drama anymore. It just fails to capture, for one reason or another.

In essence, the Peoplemover of old, both literally and figuratively, fails to move people in great numbers nowadays. It's a shame.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 01-07-2014 at 10:22 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Not sure why you bring this up.
    Just showing that we were talking about this same subject 8 years ago! The gears of Disney grind slowly.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm not really here

Just showing that we were talking about this same subject 8 years ago! The gears of Disney grind slowly.
    Ah. Indeed they do. Better to do nothing than do something not worth doing if you ask me though.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    The PM, like many TL attractions of the past, was a concept that centered on the problems of the human condition, and offered a hopeful futuristic view that showcased our triumph over adversity.
    I don't know if I would describe the PeopleMover in quite that flowery or prosey a manner. It was a ride built to showcase an interesting concept for public mass transit. I don't think it was ever as "meta" as the human condition or triumph over adversity. Not as a ride anyway. As a small part of the much larger Tomorrowland concept, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    The PM's concept was terrific (though the execution was spotty, IMO). But, I don't think people are really interested in this kind of drama anymore. It just fails to capture, for one reason or another.

In essence, the Peoplemover of old, both literally and figuratively, fails to move people in great numbers nowadays. It's a shame.
    I agree 100% here though. I think it is absolutely to capture that hopeful, triumph over adversity, overcoming human difficulties, etc, feeling in many different thematic versions of Tomorrowland. Changing the land to a spaceport doesn't mean it can't be the kind where humanity has overcome many of the problems we face, spread out into the universe, etc. And having that element of hope to Tomorrowland doesn't preclude the types of rides and attractions that interest people these days. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Blind to His Own Faults

^ I am not completely closed-minded to the spaceport angle. As I've said in other posts, at least they are once again considering theme via advancements in space travel. But, if the spaceport turns out to be Mos Eisley, or Coruscant, or Endor, I don't think it will be Tomorrowland anymore, and attractions with the concept of bettering the human condition,like the PM, would have no logical place (if they even can be said to have a place today, in any event).

• I'm not really here

^Right with you on that. I could live happily with a concept in which the Star Wars universe is out there, and so has access to our spaceport (Star Tours set up a local branch here), characters from that universe visiting, etc... but the space port needs to be distinctly human and positive in nature and look. Clean, prosperous, happy. Not Mos Eisley. There can be elements of Star Wars, but the port should not be a Star Wars theme. My 2 cents.

• Not the Hawkguy

The PM is still futuristic much like the monorail. Can't they bring it back and expand the track to DCA to help with the crush of people who hit the gate when the fireworks start?
    Every time I see people bring this idea up, I just think of what a logistical nightmare this would be. You'd in essence create a ride that only people with Park Hoppers could ride, or hope that customers wold be forthcoming on whether they can get off at the separate stations, and good luck with that (this is also my issue with people suggesting more Monorail stations, which is basically impossible in its current form).

The People Mover concept itself can still work, but I don't know if it's spot is in Tomorrowland anymore. Put it to a more practical use transporting people from parking lots like Mickey and Friends and Pumbaa, and actually make good on that promise of the future.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Put it to a more practical use transporting people from parking lots like Mickey and Friends and Pumbaa, and actually make good on that promise of the future.
    This is an excellent plan. Actual transportation. Put plenty of vehicles on the track, ability to add/remove them as demand requires, and you have a much more efficient system than the trams. Also instead of having huge tram loads of people arrive at security all at once you have a much more steady stream. The same applies at end of night. People constantly loading rather than in fits and starts.

• terrifiednerds.com

The Peoplemover was the perfect attraction to relax on when you were hot and tired and the lines were long. Lots of nice scenery. A really fun ride. Plus, it was like stepping into the future--the REAL future--not some Star Wars, Pixar future.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Every time I see people bring this idea up, I just think of what a logistical nightmare this would be. You'd in essence create a ride that only people with Park Hoppers could ride, or hope that customers wold be forthcoming on whether they can get off at the separate stations, and good luck with that (this is also my issue with people suggesting more Monorail stations, which is basically impossible in its current form).

The People Mover concept itself can still work, but I don't know if it's spot is in Tomorrowland anymore. Put it to a more practical use transporting people from parking lots like Mickey and Friends and Pumbaa, and actually make good on that promise of the future.
    No different than the entrance to the monorail in DTD. People man the gate and check tickets. Boom, solved.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Not the Hawkguy

No different than the entrance to the monorail in DTD. People man the gate and check tickets. Boom, solved.
    Monorail only goes to one park, though, so you can get away with only one spot that they check tickets at (notice how they don't check tickets inside Disneyland?). For a multi-park system to work, you'd need ticket checkers at every station, plus a way to make sure that people take advantage of it (for example, a single park user taking a People Mover from Disneyland and getting off in DCA). And even THEN, where would you put the DCA station that would make sense? It just doesn't make sense to me.

• Minion

Had the People Mover never been removed in the first place I don't think we'd be having much of a discussion about it at all because I really don't think there would be much controversy about it still being there. IMO I don't think it would be perceived all that badly. It was a harmless attraction that wasn't really in the way.

I will say that as a Tomorrowland attractions guy, it did have the tendency to go 101. And unless it got super expensive to keep it maintained, I don't see why it had to be termed.

If it were still with us though, would there really be that many people saying they should take it out? Well, perhaps some.

But it was up there and out of the way. I think it was perfectly fine, and would continue to be fine until that time that it did get in the way of something else being built. And the way things have been going in Tomorrowland since it was taken out, there would have been no threat of it getting in the way of anything.

At the end of the day, I still don't think that there would be all that many people critiquing it still being there. Are there a lot of regulars to the Florida park who think theirs should be taken out for something else? Again, maybe there are some, but I doubt it's a high number of people.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567