Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

People Mover today - how would it be perceived?

The People Mover. Many new Disneyphiles may not know it, but it was an attraction I rode an awful lot in my youth. I would even ride it 2 or 3 times each visit. Sure it did get a little boring but it offered great views of Tomorrowland and a nice rest away from the crowds.

A little bit of discussion was brought up in another thread, about whether or not bringing it back would bring value to the park. And not just short-term value, but long term. Would guests love it at first and then become like Captain EO? Empty and unloved?

I honestly wouldn't know.

But, it's something I think about often. Would it be a welcome return to Disneyland past, now that the crowds are insanely crowded and filled with bodies taking advantage of fast pass? I open the floor to hear your thoughts or memories or desires of what was The People Mover.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Re: People Mover today - how would it be perceived?

I would perceive it as a life-saver on a crowded day.

• Rock Star Minion

It is not very Tomorrowy.

I'd rather see a souped-up version (going at 30-40mph) taking guests to and from the new ARTIC train station and the ball park and the Pond.

But in Tomorrowland? They'd probably have to make the tunnel areas randomly-generated entertainment.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

"What is this? So it doesn't take me to my hotel?"

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

It seems to me that, for many folks, nostalgia has turned the Peoplemover into something it never was; namely, a great attraction. It was really more distraction than attraction, IMO. But, it was a welcome distraction and a pleasant one, nonetheless.

I believe the Peoplemover served its purpose remarkably well, but its time has passed. It appears to me that any quasi-faithful reconstruction of an updated version would not only be hampered by restrictive modern code requirements, but it would also be a significant investment in time, effort and money. To my mind, an investment with a questionable rate of return

I say knock the existing skyway down, free up some space, and continue to remember it the way most of us already do: as being better than it really was.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 12-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, The Magic Kindom still has one and it's almost always a walk-on, and frequently the vehicles travel around empty. On the other hand, I'm guessing it has a ridiculously high guest capacity, so that doesn't mean it's not somewhat popular. Apparently it's popular enough that they aren't going to close it at The Magic Kingdom, but not popular enough to spend the money to bring it back to Disneyland.

However, Disney is going to be needing a lot more parking, and is probably going to have to build several sattelite parking lots, and I do think an above-ground People Mover from the various lots to a central hub would be the best way to quickly and efficiently transport people from the various parking lots to the park without clogging up the side streets even more. And, it would be really cool to take something that was in Tomorrowland that once was supposed to be in our future and bring it into practical use in the present where it really is transporting people from one place to another and no longer just a ride.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

"Why are we being dragged through tunnels with nothing to see and everything boarded up? Oh wait, now we're in the open air and can see Autopiaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!! We're going to collide with those trees that have overgrown the track! OUCH!!! ARGH!!!! I'm going to sue Disney!"
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, The Magic Kindom still has one and it's almost always a walk-on, and frequently the vehicles travel around empty. On the other hand, I'm guessing it has a ridiculously high guest capacity, so that doesn't mean it's not somewhat popular. Apparently it's popular enough that they aren't going to close it at The Magic Kingdom, but not popular enough to spend the money to bring it back to Disneyland.

However, Disney is going to be needing a lot more parking, and is probably going to have to build several sattelite parking lots, and I do think an above-ground People Mover from the various lots to a central hub would be the best way to quickly and efficiently transport people from the various parking lots to the park without clogging up the side streets even more. And, it would be really cool to take something that was in Tomorrowland that once was supposed to be in our future and bring it into practical use in the present where it really is transporting people from one place to another and no longer just a ride.

If Disney opens up a third gate and/or eventually buys out Gardenwalk, that would be a nice thing to have to get folks from Downtown Disney/Disneyland to there.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Minion

It depends on how it was brought back. I always liked it for the perspective it gave you. I also liked the TRON section a lot and would still like to see an attraction based off that franchise. I will have to go to Shanghai I guess for thast!

Even when I go on it at the Magic Kingdom I enjoy the picture taking advantage point. I think overall people would like it still. It's hard to tell how popular it is I think in MK since it probably does have a good guest capacity.

Keep in mind that capacity doesn't equal throughput. It's only potential throughput.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• MaliBOOMer

It would probably be similar in popularity as the one in Florida is.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

I think that if the PeopleMover actually WENT somewhere useful, like the parking lot or the public transportation hub, everyone could credit Uncle Walt with being a future seer like H.G. Wells or Jules Verne for yet another brilliant idea...

But as an "attraction" it is basically a moving bench.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

It would be a great thing to reintroduce now, but I think it's still a safety issue. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see the People Mover come back, I just think guest safety is Disney's main concern.

• Not the Hawkguy

I think the People Mover could come back....but not in Tomorrowland. The idea behind the ride is sound, and it does a great job of taking guests off the pathways, but there was a reason it got shut down in the first place. It just wasn't popular enough. Others have pointed this out, and I agree with it, that the People Mover system could be used to bring people to and from the resort to parking structures (though I wouldn't go so far as to say all the way to Angel Stadium/ARTIC Station/etc.).

There wouldn't be any questions like this if they hadn't removed it to begin with.

I think it would pack them in, especially on the (frequent) crowded days.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast