Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    Several years ago, I was walking out of Tomorrowland with a friend. We were right about even with the entrance to Astro Blasters, walking and chatting, when we heard what sounded like glass hitting the ground and breaking, followed quickly by a loud S**t!! We looked up to see a grown man standing there, staring at one of those giant swirly lolipops that he had just dropped, and which had shattered into a million pieces.

He then yelled g******t! Then, proceeded to throw an incredible child like tantrum over the loss of his lolipop, stomping, whining, the whole nine. His fellow adult friends were just staring at him in what appeared to be horror and/or disbelief. As was everyone close enough to witness it.

It was tragic and beautiful all at once. Nothing like a little spontaneous magic at Disneyland
    Wow
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I also witnessed a mother yelling at her small child over the lack of bacon inside Disneyland. I was waiting for Fantasmic and I heard a woman yelling, "they don't have bacon! what am I supposed to do about it!?" Her son, who couldn't have been older than 5, was in tears saying, "but mama, my heart loves bacon!"
    Dobby wants to know why a place that doesn't even have bacon would be so important to me...

Obviously one should pack the bacon bits in the knapsack next to the sunscreen and the spare pair of sox.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

I have a bunch of stories! I hang out with Esmerlada from the Penny Arcade and Shrunken Ned from Adventureland and have fun when the park closes. My stories are on my own thread (click the link in my signature below)
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• Under that tree again!

So I am behind this dad with an 4-5 year old son getting off the train at the New Orleans Square station. We both head right because we both were looking for the restroom. Only they stop short and the dad lifts the boy up so his child can water the hedges. This is roughly opposite the Mint Juleps window, which is about 30 feet short of the men's room in NOS.

I've also seen this on the Big Thunder Trail and a few times on TSI.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

This August my son and I were in the line at Monsters, Inc. There was a family in line behind us with a middleaged man in a wheelchair being pushed by a middleaged woman, we later saw the same family in a different area of the park but the middleaged man was now pushing the middleaged woman in the wheelchair.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by atavuss View Post
    This August my son and I were in the line at Monsters, Inc. There was a family in line behind us with a middleaged man in a wheelchair being pushed by a middleaged woman, we later saw the same family in a different area of the park but the middleaged man was now pushing the middleaged woman in the wheelchair.
    I have seen similar things. Like older people in ECV's that are letting their grandchildren drive them because their feet are tired. The older guest seems to have no issue walking around. They just get the vehicle to take turns driving it.

• formerly very helpful

I can actually accept that someone only needs the wheelchair part of the time. for example, years ago, when my wife was only in her 20s she had trouble with arthritis in her legs. After a week in Florida's humidity and full days of walking around WDW, she needed a chair. Later in the day her legs were feeling better so she wanted to walk. I'm sure many people thought she was faking. I have no idea about the people you described, since I wasn't there and don't know their situation. For all I know, they were abusing the wheelchair use. However, sometimes it is obscenely blatant.

A number of years ago I was in line for Indy. A group of young people behind us (20s and teens) had a wheelchair. We noticed them because the chair kept hitting me in the back of the ankles. Bad enough. But then we noticed that every so often there was a different person in the chair. This went on the whole line. Then, when it was time to board the ride vehicle, the person who was most recently in the chair put on the biggest act like he could barely walk and had to be supported like he was about to collapse as he passed to the vehicle. I tried reporting such a blatant abuse of the wheelchair use, but the castmember told me there was really nothing he could do.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    A number of years ago I was in line for Indy. A group of young people behind us (20s and teens) had a wheelchair. We noticed them because the chair kept hitting me in the back of the ankles. Bad enough. But then we noticed that every so often there was a different person in the chair. This went on the whole line. Then, when it was time to board the ride vehicle, the person who was most recently in the chair put on the biggest act like he could barely walk and had to be supported like he was about to collapse as he passed to the vehicle. I tried reporting such a blatant abuse of the wheelchair use, but the castmember told me there was really nothing he could do.
    At least they waited in the queue.

There are too many for me to tell (good, bad, ugly, and whatever else), but one that springs to mind all of a sudden, in the category of good, is when I saw two toddler princesses walking nearly side-by-side on the Big Thunder Trail (coming toward me). One was a white girl dressed in a Tiana costume and the other was a black girl dressed in a Snow White costume. See, we CAN relate to characters regardless of their race/ethnicity/nationality.

The tableau was so cute that I almost snapped a photo, but I was close when I noticed and felt awkward about doing that or stopping them and asking, so I didn't. If they were part of the same group and had planned it, then that would be one thing, but they seemed to be from separate groups, which would make this quite a coincidence.

Another under the good category was when I was in the Star Trader and saw a cast member buy a gift for a child. The boy was on the verge of tears because his mother said that she didn't have the money for the toy right now, but she promised to buy this one for him later. I saw a cast member, a young guy, talk to the cashier, who rang him up. Then he told the young guest that he could keep the toy, which totally made his day. Questions regarding whether this was the right thing to do in this situation aside, I thought it was a kind and generous gesture to make for complete strangers so that a child wouldn't feel disappointed while visiting the happiest place on Earth.

There are plenty of bad and ugly stories I have to tell, too, but I've told enough of those here as it is.

• Indiana Scott

It was 1988 and I was at the park with my brand new wife. The day before we got there we got terribly sun burned so our time in the park was a mixture of joy and pain. I was the worst but I was OK as long as nothing jarred me. So I stayed away for the rougher rides.
    Now I had not been to the park since about 1968 so when I saw the "train" ride at the back of the park I remembered how slow and calm the ride was. Little did I know this "slow" ride had gone from Natures Mine Train Through Wonderland to BTMRR.

I pretty much screamed like a little girl through the whole ride since it felt like my flesh was being ripped away.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    It was 1988 and I was at the park with my brand new wife. The day before we got there we got terribly sun burned so our time in the park was a mixture of joy and pain. I was the worst but I was OK as long as nothing jarred me. So I stayed away for the rougher rides.
    Now I had not been to the park since about 1968 so when I saw the "train" ride at the back of the park I remembered how slow and calm the ride was. Little did I know this "slow" ride had gone from Natures Mine Train Through Wonderland to BTMRR.

I pretty much screamed like a little girl through the whole ride since it felt like my flesh was being ripped away.

As a fair skinned ginger type myself, I can certainly relate. OUCH!!

• Indiana Scott

One more:
    Background story; 20 years or so before this story takes place, I injured my back. It had since healed but my spine is forever very sensitive to touch...

So I'm walking through the park alone and I suddenly feel this intensely sharp pain in the middle of my back. Now I'm the farthest thing from being a violent person but in my mind this can only be an attack of some kind so with an angry look and hands at the ready to protect myself I real around and who do you suppose I come face to face with!?
    Captain Hook. And while I can't see his "real" face I get the feeling he's as shocked as I am. After a few seconds of not being sure what to do he turns and scampers off. At the same time my adrenaline is wearing down and I can 't help but start to chuckle. I'm pretty sure he just tapped me with his hook but how silly must it have looked for a grown man to be all serious and eye to eye with a Capt Hook!

• Loving all things Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    So I am behind this dad with an 4-5 year old son getting off the train at the New Orleans Square station. We both head right because we both were looking for the restroom. Only they stop short and the dad lifts the boy up so his child can water the hedges. This is roughly opposite the Mint Juleps window, which is about 30 feet short of the men's room in NOS.

I've also seen this on the Big Thunder Trail and a few times on TSI.

Oh my goodness! Only 30 feet from the restroom? He really couldn't hold it for 30 feet longer!?!?!

Close enough to the DLR to keep me satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    And when they were taking photos of themselves, the CMs kept telling them to not do so, and she stated that she then snapped back at them, "If you don't want people to take photos, then you shouldn't make us and our children walk back here."
    When we went back there, I remember my dad asking the CM directing traffic if it would "ruin the magic" if we went backstage and he told us "oh of course not!!" If it wouldn't ruin the magic, why weren't we able to take pictures...?

• Loving all things Disney!

I've seen this too... What's even more frustrating is when young adults/teens take turns "using" the wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I can actually accept that someone only needs the wheelchair part of the time. for example, years ago, when my wife was only in her 20s she had trouble with arthritis in her legs. After a week in Florida's humidity and full days of walking around WDW, she needed a chair. Later in the day her legs were feeling better so she wanted to walk. I'm sure many people thought she was faking. I have no idea about the people you described, since I wasn't there and don't know their situation. For all I know, they were abusing the wheelchair use. However, sometimes it is obscenely blatant.

I would have been so upset! Not only blatantly abusing the system but also hitting you in the ankles...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    There are too many for me to tell (good, bad, ugly, and whatever else), but one that springs to mind all of a sudden, in the category of good, is when I saw two toddler princesses walking nearly side-by-side on the Big Thunder Trail (coming toward me). One was a white girl dressed in a Tiana costume and the other was a black girl dressed in a Snow White costume. See, we CAN relate to characters regardless of their race/ethnicity/nationality.

The tableau was so cute that I almost snapped a photo, but I was close when I noticed and felt awkward about doing that or stopping them and asking, so I didn't. If they were part of the same group and had planned it, then that would be one thing, but they seemed to be from separate groups, which would make this quite a coincidence.

Another under the good category was when I was in the Star Trader and saw a cast member buy a gift for a child. The boy was on the verge of tears because his mother said that she didn't have the money for the toy right now, but she promised to buy this one for him later. I saw a cast member, a young guy, talk to the cashier, who rang him up. Then he told the young guest that he could keep the toy, which totally made his day. Questions regarding whether this was the right thing to do in this situation aside, I thought it was a kind and generous gesture to make for complete strangers so that a child wouldn't feel disappointed while visiting the happiest place on Earth.

There are plenty of bad and ugly stories I have to tell, too, but I've told enough of those here as it is.
    How cute! I love too see little girls dress up like their favorite princess in the park! It's just too adorable!!

All I can say is, OUCH!!

One more:
    Background story; 20 years or so before this story takes place, I injured my back. It had since healed but my spine is forever very sensitive to touch...

So I'm walking through the park alone and I suddenly feel this intensely sharp pain in the middle of my back. Now I'm the farthest thing from being a violent person but in my mind this can only be an attack of some kind so with an angry look and hands at the ready to protect myself I real around and who do you suppose I come face to face with!?
    Captain Hook. And while I can't see his "real" face I get the feeling he's as shocked as I am. After a few seconds of not being sure what to do he turns and scampers off. At the same time my adrenaline is wearing down and I can 't help but start to chuckle. I'm pretty sure he just tapped me with his hook but how silly must it have looked for a grown man to be all serious and eye to eye with a Capt Hook!
    The people around you probably thought that you were just acting along with Capt Hook!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast