Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 279
  1. #76

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes
    Posts
    114

    Sad Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The one about the woman dragging her son into the line for BTMRR reminds me of our family on a visit in 2003. My nephew was 4 at the time and was terrified of going on Pirates of the Caribbean. He was certain there were live pirates in there who would kidnap him. We tried to explain to him that they were all just robots and there were no real pirates and it was completely safe. But he still refused and made a scene in the line. I was willing to, and offered to, wait with him outside instead of going in, as I had been on it many times. But his mother refused to let him wait it out and insisted he go in. It almost seemed like we were physically dragging him through the line. Once inside, he liked the atmosphere and when we were finally in the boat and it was gliding through the bayou, he seemed to be enjoying it. But then we went down the drop. After the splashdown I didn't see him until I noticed he was lying face down on the floor of the boat. Despite my many attempts to coax him to get up and look at all the things to see, he would not budge. He spent the rest of the ride face down on the floor of the boat. Finally when it was time to exit the boat he got up. He was fine, but wet. I think it damaged him emotionally. Haunted Mansion was out of the question.
    aww oh no
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

  2. #77

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Last October my cousins met up with me in Disneyland. The little ones were only 8 and 6 at the time so our activities were pretty limited to Fantasyland and the Tiki Room, but my older cousin protested because she wanted to do Haunted Mansion to see the holiday overlay. The 6-year old was scared of it so she told us just to get in line for it and not tell him what we were getting in line for. It worked until we got into the stretching room. All I remember hearing was, "no! I told you I didn't want to do it!" and he just lost it. He spent the entire stretching room crying and screaming and did that until we got right next to the ride vehicles. I had a short talk with him about how none of it was real and he should just find the silly stuff in the ride, like Zero and the singing pumpkins. I sat with the 8-year old and she loved it but would only sit in between my mom and me. The 6-year old sat with his mom and my dad. When we got off the ride we asked him if he thought it was still scary and he smiled and made us get back in line.

    Luckily that turned out to be a good experience and I'm happy I got to do something other than Its a Small World and Winnie the Pooh all day.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  3. #78

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ozark MO
    Posts
    101

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    One memorable and scary event for me was riding Indy for the first time. I was wearing a web style belt with the slide buckle. We reached the front of the line, piled in, and buckled up. All was well until the end of the ride and I tried to get up. My belt buckle edge had caught the seat belt and had nearly cut clean through it over the course of the ride. There was but an 1/8" left of the seat belt holding me in.

  4. #79

    • Loving all things Disney!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    337

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Thank you to all of you who have shared! I love reading them! Keep the stories rolling!

  5. #80

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    125

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    I was in first grade back in 2003, so the Haunted Mansion movie had just come out.

    Some time in that year, my mom took me and my sister on what was the first real Disneyland trip that I have some sort of recollection of. She knew from the start she was going to take us on the Haunted Mansion. But... I was a first grader who was TERRIFIED of what I saw in the movie, particularly that scene in the mausoleum where the family attempts to retrieve the key. And whether or not I had seen the movie at that age, the "Haunted" in the name was enough to make someone of that age not want to ride it at all!

    I protested riding the ride from the very beginning of the trip. When we got to the ride, I kept trying to convince my family not to. As we got closer to the house, I guess my fear grew more and more evident, so one of the Cast Members asked, "Can I pull him aside for a moment?"

    My mom was okay with it, though I remember feeling TERRIFIED. Not wanting to go on a ride that claimed to be haunted, then letting one of its workers come talk to me?!

    But she pulled me aside out of the line for a quick second and said in a hushed tone, "It's not real!" as she shook her head, and the moment made me laugh. So while I was afraid of the Ghost Host and how the lighting went out, I remember what the CM told me. Once we were on the actual ride, I actually enjoyed myself and thought it was pretty cool!

    So if my mom had never pulled me into it, and that Cast Member never pulled me aside... I really don't think it would be one of my favorites to this day!

  6. #81

    • Mrs. J. Depp
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,070

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    I have a couple of fun stories that definitely stick out in my mind over the years:

    1) Maybe about 10 years ago, my friend and I took one of our bi-yearly off season trips to the parks. We got there around park opening and bee lined straight for Indiana Jones. There was hardly anyone else in that portion of the park, and certainly not anybody else in line for that ride. We went through the whole queue alone, complete with creepy sound effects and what not. We got to loading and were the only ones there (except for the CM's of course) and got a whole jeep to ourselves. Our jeep also stalled for a few moments in the blow dart room, which added to the scare factor. This will always stand out in my mind as the scariest but one of the most fun times I've had at either park. My friend took a tape recorder with her on the ride to record us screaming and freaking out. Good times.

    2) I'm just going to combine these next 2 since they happened with the same person. These were AP experiences and during off season as well. My boyfriend at the time and I would just jump up to the parks to spend an afternoon or evening sometimes and once we were riding Monsters Inc. near park closing when the CM's told us about the hidden mickeys in the ride. Since nobody was in line, they let us ride through 3 times looking for the mickeys, and we found them all with a little help. The next one is similar, we were riding the Storybook boats around closing and rode with other people and the CM told us to keep our eye out for hidden mickeys. We couldn't find any so after everyone got off the boat, we stayed on with the CM and got an un-narrated boat ride and also got shown where the hidden mickeys were. Pretty special times if you ask me. How could anybody not love these two parks?


    Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

  7. #82

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    125

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    This one in particular is really special to me.

    Earlier this year, I faced my first breakup... Not only that, but immediately after she went to someone I thought was a good friend, though it wasn't official at this point. Feeling lost, I didn't know what to do, so I thought to myself, "They say do what makes you happy." And for me, that was Disneyland!

    So I decided to skip the band's end-of-year banquet, where they would inevitably be, and just go to Disneyland after school. Even better, when I planned the affair, it just so happened there was no school that day, AND it happened to be the Monstrous Summer All-Nighter.

    In my planning, I thought I should write a thank you letter for the CM's for not only dedicating 24 hours out of their own lives, but for having dedicated all that time for eight years that I've been an AP. Honestly, I was almost reduced to tears in delivering it, because I couldn't trust anyone around my age or went to school with me about how I felt about anything anymore, but I was so willing to trust these strangers who just happen to work at my favorite place in the world. Their unison cries of "Awww!" was of no help either.

    So I went about the rest of my day, making friends at Racers, doing karaoke at Toon Town, and for once, forgetting about the rest of the world and only caring about me.

    So it made leaving all that much harder... And of course, while I was smiling for the rest of the weekend, the inevitable return to school (and seeing those two) was the first thing to break my smile. Although I already knew the answer, I went home wondering, "Why can't I just live there?"

    So I got home, to find my dad sorting mail, and he says there's something for me. Strange, because I never sent anything out, never ordered anything. But then I see my address in Mickey's handwriting. So I take it up to my room, lock the door, and open the envelope. It's a signed photo of the Fab 5 walking across the bridge, arm in arm. "Your pal, Mickey." "Donald #1" "Gawrsh, Luv Goofy" "Hugs and kisses, Minnie Mouse" and "Pluto" And to top it all off, in Mickey's handwriting, I see "Lorenz, Thank YOU!"

    Fast-forward to summer where I begin a summer-long depression BECAUSE they're official. And not only that, but I discover he's using her to get over an ex. All this after specifically telling me he would do nothing. So while a trip to Disneyland has me smiling, my thoughts sometimes waver back to her and I just... I just don't know what's wrong. So we wait in line for Mickey and the Magical Map, and I was the only one in my group who didn't see it prior.

    The whole "There's a feeling that you were meant to find"... I love that line, because at the time, it basically said to me, "You may be suffering now, but you'll discover something special one day." I was the reason we were there, and my sister said she didn't want to see it again, so in the middle of the show, I kept having to hide the fact I wanted to tear up. As cheesy as the show may be, it made me smile again.

    Twice at my loneliest, Disney made me feel welcome again. I downloaded the soundtrack and listened to it through all of summer. I sat down and looked at the photo when I felt lonely at all during that summer. And even though I listen to the soundtrack regularly, I haven't looked at the photo since.

    One day, when I began liking someone new, I was afraid. But then I listened to the music again... "If we all let go there's no way to know where a spark will take us..." And that's how I got over her.

  8. #83

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes
    Posts
    114

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    I have a few that aren't that interesting. Well to me what was a little bizarre was the last time I went to DCA. My family went on The Little Mermaid ride and I stayed outside because I had a stomach ache. It went away in a few minutes but they were still in the ride. So as I waited, there was this young woman walking around in like a Snow White kind of dressing. She was wearing a tight yellow pencil skirt with Mickey faces on it, a top that looked exactly like Snow White's top part of the dress (no cape, no collar though), she was wearing yellow flats that had little bows on them and had sparkles, and her hair was done exactly like Snow's with the red bow and everything. She wore sunglasses so I couldn't see her eyes but she did have red pure red lipstick on. It was stunning and I was amazed at the style and how well she pulled off the look. What I found funny was, as she walked by, every guy turned their heads XD. There was even a woman who elbowed her husband and sternly told him "Don't stare!"
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

  9. #84

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,749

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The one about the woman dragging her son into the line for BTMRR reminds me of our family on a visit in 2003. My nephew was 4 at the time and was terrified of going on Pirates of the Caribbean. He was certain there were live pirates in there who would kidnap him. We tried to explain to him that they were all just robots and there were no real pirates and it was completely safe. But he still refused and made a scene in the line. I was willing to, and offered to, wait with him outside instead of going in, as I had been on it many times. But his mother refused to let him wait it out and insisted he go in. It almost seemed like we were physically dragging him through the line. Once inside, he liked the atmosphere and when we were finally in the boat and it was gliding through the bayou, he seemed to be enjoying it. But then we went down the drop. After the splashdown I didn't see him until I noticed he was lying face down on the floor of the boat. Despite my many attempts to coax him to get up and look at all the things to see, he would not budge. He spent the rest of the ride face down on the floor of the boat. Finally when it was time to exit the boat he got up. He was fine, but wet. I think it damaged him emotionally. Haunted Mansion was out of the question.
    Your nephew was like me. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of Pirates when I was little. Mostly because of the drops.




  10. #85

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    312

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Guy Day sometime in the early 70's (I was around 11).
    After my grandfather had his heart attack, my grandparents used to vacation at the Disneyland Hotel since he was told not to fly. I thought it was strange since he lived in La Mirada (11 miles from Anaheim). But he said that it got him away from everything.

    We were getting ready for school and my dad was still home. Something was up. Then grandpa appeared at the door and said he would take us to school. Cool but still strange. My sisters and I were hijacked and taken to Disneyland. We were in the park before the 'rope drop' and my grandfather handed my sisters a couple of packs of tickets each. He told them to meet us at the hub at noon (my sisters are several years older then me).

    My grandpa and I then went for breakfast. I can't remember the place but it was on Main Street near the hub. During breakfast my dad showed up. My mom and grandma went shopping, my sisters were on their own, and it was 'guy day'.

    It was my first real memory of 'hanging out' with my dad and grandpa. Just us. The day was cool, the park was fairly empty and the lines were short. We stayed all day and had dinner at the hotel. Then just me and grandpa went back for the fireworks and a few more rides.

    You can't buy memories like that. As you've seen earlier in this thread, I took my niece and nephew to the park when they were about the same age. Just the three of us. Maybe that's why I love Disneyland the way I do.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

  11. #86

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,518

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by JanitorofSHIELD View Post
    This one in particular is really special to me.

    Earlier this year, I faced my first breakup... Not only that, but immediately after she went to someone I thought was a good friend, though it wasn't official at this point. Feeling lost, I didn't know what to do, so I thought to myself, "They say do what makes you happy." And for me, that was Disneyland!

    So I decided to skip the band's end-of-year banquet, where they would inevitably be, and just go to Disneyland after school. Even better, when I planned the affair, it just so happened there was no school that day, AND it happened to be the Monstrous Summer All-Nighter.

    In my planning, I thought I should write a thank you letter for the CM's for not only dedicating 24 hours out of their own lives, but for having dedicated all that time for eight years that I've been an AP. Honestly, I was almost reduced to tears in delivering it, because I couldn't trust anyone around my age or went to school with me about how I felt about anything anymore, but I was so willing to trust these strangers who just happen to work at my favorite place in the world. Their unison cries of "Awww!" was of no help either.

    So I went about the rest of my day, making friends at Racers, doing karaoke at Toon Town, and for once, forgetting about the rest of the world and only caring about me.

    So it made leaving all that much harder... And of course, while I was smiling for the rest of the weekend, the inevitable return to school (and seeing those two) was the first thing to break my smile. Although I already knew the answer, I went home wondering, "Why can't I just live there?"

    So I got home, to find my dad sorting mail, and he says there's something for me. Strange, because I never sent anything out, never ordered anything. But then I see my address in Mickey's handwriting. So I take it up to my room, lock the door, and open the envelope. It's a signed photo of the Fab 5 walking across the bridge, arm in arm. "Your pal, Mickey." "Donald #1" "Gawrsh, Luv Goofy" "Hugs and kisses, Minnie Mouse" and "Pluto" And to top it all off, in Mickey's handwriting, I see "Lorenz, Thank YOU!"

    Fast-forward to summer where I begin a summer-long depression BECAUSE they're official. And not only that, but I discover he's using her to get over an ex. All this after specifically telling me he would do nothing. So while a trip to Disneyland has me smiling, my thoughts sometimes waver back to her and I just... I just don't know what's wrong. So we wait in line for Mickey and the Magical Map, and I was the only one in my group who didn't see it prior.

    The whole "There's a feeling that you were meant to find"... I love that line, because at the time, it basically said to me, "You may be suffering now, but you'll discover something special one day." I was the reason we were there, and my sister said she didn't want to see it again, so in the middle of the show, I kept having to hide the fact I wanted to tear up. As cheesy as the show may be, it made me smile again.

    Twice at my loneliest, Disney made me feel welcome again. I downloaded the soundtrack and listened to it through all of summer. I sat down and looked at the photo when I felt lonely at all during that summer. And even though I listen to the soundtrack regularly, I haven't looked at the photo since.

    One day, when I began liking someone new, I was afraid. But then I listened to the music again... "If we all let go there's no way to know where a spark will take us..." And that's how I got over her.

    And THAT, fellow MCers, is what Disneyland is all about. And why we love it so.

    "Grab your coat and get your hat
    Leave your worries at the Main Gate
    Life can be so sweet
    On the DISNEY side of the street.

    If I never had a cent
    I'd be rich as Rockefeller
    Pixie dust at my feet
    On the DISNEY side of the street."
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  12. #87

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    125

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Kinda continuing on with the stories about Disney and love... When my girlfriend and I went pretty recently, something in me knew one of us would drop the "L" bomb for the first time. And something in me also knew THIS would be the trip I FINALLY got a Duffy Bear, after years of wanting the little guy.

    When I imagined it, I imagined I'd do it after the fireworks and when it started snowing, but we skipped out on the fireworks. So I planned to do it after Winter Dreams, IF the ending was something slow and sentimental like Believe, but anyone who's seen it can tell you it's almost the opposite of Believe.

    So I decided, "You don't have to force it here. You don't even know if she's ready to say it yet." (Little did I know, she wanted to say it at the tea cups, but we didn't get around to those.)

    We took advantage of the extra shopping hour so I could finally get my Duffy. But I was panicking because I'd go broke if I bought him, and my parents are CONSTANTLY on me about money. But because her mom isn't as stingy as mine, she brought a lot more to the park than I did. I initially protested against it, but she had no problem getting him for me.

    So as we exit the shop, I give her a very excited "Thank you!" But instead of "You're welcome", what does she say? "I love you."

    While I was a little disappointed I couldn't get to do it first, I was also very relieved because I'm always the one admitting it first, and it's never reciprocated until that point. So the specialty of Main Street has shot up by tenfolds for me.

  13. #88

    • Loving all things Disney!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    337

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Fantastic stories! Thank you to all who have shared thus far!

  14. #89

    • "Always On The Move..."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Over the summer, my sister and I were in the bathroom across from the exit of Space Mountain. Suddenly Belle comes out of the handicapped stall. She was in her gold ballgown, full makeup, and hair done. We watched her walk over, wash her hands and then exit out the door. In full character the entire time. We at first thought it was a guest who had changed into the outfit in the bathroom, but about 20 min later we came face to face with the same Belle at the meet and greet. There was no doubt it was the exact same person. Weirdest experience with a character we have ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!


    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6


  15. #90

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,878

    Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by JanitorofSHIELD View Post
    Kinda continuing on with the stories about Disney and love... When my girlfriend and I went pretty recently, something in me knew one of us would drop the "L" bomb for the first time. And something in me also knew THIS would be the trip I FINALLY got a Duffy Bear, after years of wanting the little guy.

    When I imagined it, I imagined I'd do it after the fireworks and when it started snowing, but we skipped out on the fireworks. So I planned to do it after Winter Dreams, IF the ending was something slow and sentimental like Believe, but anyone who's seen it can tell you it's almost the opposite of Believe.

    So I decided, "You don't have to force it here. You don't even know if she's ready to say it yet." (Little did I know, she wanted to say it at the tea cups, but we didn't get around to those.)

    We took advantage of the extra shopping hour so I could finally get my Duffy. But I was panicking because I'd go broke if I bought him, and my parents are CONSTANTLY on me about money. But because her mom isn't as stingy as mine, she brought a lot more to the park than I did. I initially protested against it, but she had no problem getting him for me.

    So as we exit the shop, I give her a very excited "Thank you!" But instead of "You're welcome", what does she say? "I love you."

    While I was a little disappointed I couldn't get to do it first, I was also very relieved because I'm always the one admitting it first, and it's never reciprocated until that point. So the specialty of Main Street has shot up by tenfolds for me.

    Nice story!
    I can't even remember how that all went for us - it was a long time ago!
    Best of luck on ​your journey.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Disney World Visitors - May I Have A Few Moments Of Your Time?
    By Barbaraann in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. What are YOU gonna spend your time doing with your VMK Pass?
    By WDWGirl in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
  3. MiceChatters: I need a little bit of your time
    By KDR in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 11:27 AM
  4. So how did you spend your time, before there was MiceChat?
    By Barbaraann in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 09:05 PM
  5. Food and Star Wars lovers, your time is here!
    By Captain Zissou in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •