Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

The people glued to their phones at all costs always confuse me.

Not DL, but this past year at Universal Hollywood's HHN we were gifted with VIP tickets which included a backstage "tour" complete with walking through sets and a little themed scare bit.

One woman apparently just wasn't feeling it? The ENTIRE tour - from the moment this woman got in line for the shuttle until the moment she left our sight - she was on her smartphone, glued to it for texting or griping at her friends about how much this all sucked and how much she got ripped off. This would include while walking through the USH backlots on a perfect moonlit night.

*sigh*

I get that everyone's allowed to do what they want within legal reason, but seriously? Over $200 just to endlessly whine? Why not just stay home and pretend you're there, still complain bitterly, and then do something ENJOYABLE with the money?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Re: Any "Interesting" Stories of Your Time at the Parks? (The Good, Bad, or the UGLY!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post

Not DL, but this past year at Universal Hollywood's HHN we were gifted with VIP tickets which included a backstage "tour" complete with walking through sets and a little themed scare bit.

One woman apparently just wasn't feeling it? The ENTIRE tour - from the moment this woman got in line for the shuttle until the moment she left our sight - she was on her smartphone, glued to it for texting or griping at her friends about how much this all sucked and how much she got ripped off. This would include while walking through the USH backlots on a perfect moonlit night.

*sigh*

I get that everyone's allowed to do what they want within legal reason, but seriously? Over $200 just to endlessly whine? Why not just stay home and pretend you're there, still complain bitterly, and then do something ENJOYABLE with the money?
    That is just crazy. Universal's HHN is ridiculously fun. I don't know why people pay for an activity and then sit glued to their phone the whole time. It's a waste of life and living in the moment.

One of my fun memories of DL was when Cruella Deville hit on my husband HARD, there wasn't much of a line to see her and she spent a lot of time messing with him. I believe she may have even had him down on his knees at one point. I haven't seen him blush like that in years.

• Former Churro Jockey

Working at the parks we met all kinds of interesting people from various backgrounds. One of the most consistant complaints I would get working on popcorn wagons was from European tourists who wanted "sweet" popcorn rather then salt. Apparently in Europe they put sugar on their popcorn. We actually tried to sell Cracker Jacks on Popcorn wagons for about two weeks or so specifically because we had so many requests for sweet popcorn, but someone from Orville Reddenbaccher saw that and made us stop (they pay for the popcorn wagons). Sor for about two weeks in 1998 we sold large boxes of Cracker Jacks for something like $3.75 per box. So if you have one, who knows, maybe they're a collector's item!!!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Working at the parks we met all kinds of interesting people from various backgrounds. One of the most consistant complaints I would get working on popcorn wagons was from European tourists who wanted "sweet" popcorn rather then salt. Apparently in Europe they put sugar on their popcorn. We actually tried to sell Cracker Jacks on Popcorn wagons for about two weeks or so specifically because we had so many requests for sweet popcorn, but someone from Orville Reddenbaccher saw that and made us stop (they pay for the popcorn wagons). Sor for about two weeks in 1998 we sold large boxes of Cracker Jacks for something like $3.75 per box. So if you have one, who knows, maybe they're a collector's item!!!
    Well there goes my dreams of buying both lemonade and cracker jacks from the Casey Jr. themed cart.

Some of the carts currently sell both caramel popcorn and regular salted popcorn. It's not Cracker Jack, but it's similar in taste. Just no peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    Some of the carts currently sell both caramel popcorn and regular salted popcorn. It's not Cracker Jack, but it's similar in taste. Just no peanuts.
    Someone's missing out on a great opportunity on Kettle Corn. DCA and Frontierland are just the spots for a kiosk.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Yes, me too.

I know that now, at the movie theater, there will be a commercial for popcorn and a request to shut off the phone; a commercial for taking one's trash out when one leaves and a request to shut off the phone; previews of coming attractions and a request to shut off the phone.

Personally, being a Luddite and extremely slow to adopt technology, I have only an emergency lifeline sort of free phone for poor disabled folks which can text or make phone calls and that's it.

Is the ambiance of the attractions being disturbed by phone use?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I remember just last year, it my last day at Disneyland and my sister and I were in line for Tower of Terror. We were in the room where they play the video. And like usual, I started quoting the video because well, who doesn't? Anyways, I got probably 2 sentences in before the cast member said to me "Can you not do that please?". So I stopped and just stood there; I wasn't even doing it that loud, just kind of whispering to my sister. I've never had a cast member tell me that...usually they have no problem with it because a lot of people life to quote the video. It's just a thing. Well when we exited the room, I told her she shouldn't be working at Disneyland.

• Loving all things Disney!

Kettle corn sounds good to me!!!

Sorry, hollyray, but if I'd been in the room at the time, after I went home I would've written a complimentary email to the resort saying that CM had made my day.

• Chief Troublemaker

Sorry, hollyray, but if I'd been in the room at the time, after I went home I would've written a complimentary email to the resort saying that CM had made my day.

And I would happily co-sign that email!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
    • Minion

Agreed!

That's a huge pet peeve of mine. For those of you who watch Youtube videos of Disneyland rides or go to Disneyland a lot, memorize all the dialogue, then proudly recite everything to ruin it for others, I side with the CM. Now, I too watch Disneyland videos on Youtube (that's how I survive the long months or years until my next trip), but I never take over the attraction by reciting the ride's dialogue or loudly tell anyone in my party or someone else's party what's going to happen. I feel for the CMs who have to endure a lot of annoyances. I have watched a couple of Youtube videos of the Haunted Mansion and everyone in the stretching room feels it's their right to play Ghost Host. Whatever happened to being quiet and listening to what's going on?

It's not so much that she asked me to be quiet but how she did it. Her tone obviously doesn't translate through text but she was very rude about it. I paid to get in the park, I can have freedom of speech. I've been in a room where most everyone recites the words so it's not like there are other people who do it.

And same thing with Thunder Mountain or Indiana Jones (in which the words are sometime on the screen). I wasn't even being openly annoying. Like I said, I was just whispering to my sister, not shouting the thing to everyone in the room. I guess I just believe in freedom of speech.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    It's not so much that she asked me to be quiet but how she did it. Her tone obviously doesn't translate through text but she was very rude about it. I paid to get in the park, I can have freedom of speech. I've been in a room where most everyone recites the words so it's not like there are other people who do it.

And same thing with Thunder Mountain or Indiana Jones (in which the words are sometime on the screen). I wasn't even being openly annoying. Like I said, I was just whispering to my sister, not shouting the thing to everyone in the room. I guess I just believe in freedom of speech.
    Other people do it, yes...and it's a nearly universal pet peeve of those who have to listen to it.

The other guests in the ride paid their admission too and they had a right not to be disturbed. Maybe there was someone there who had never been on ToT before. If the CM could hear you, so could other people. I'm sorry, but your First Amendment right to freedom of speech is about your right to express your views freely without being arrested - it doesn't cover this.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast