Thread: Blockout dates

Blockout dates

My annual pass is up for renewal on jan 15th. However, I plan to go to disneyland on dec 29th (a black out date for me). If I renew my pass on 12/29 at the ticket counter can I enter that day without a blackout ticket?

Re: Blockout dates

Yes, if you purchase an annual pass on a blackout day, you can still visit both parks on that given day

Thank you. I thought so but when I called to ask they said it was too early to renew my pass (2 weeks) so I would have to either buy a whole new pass or blockout ticket. But that info seemed wrong.

yes, you get the day that you renew your pass.

I've never heard that before. Usually you can renew starting 30 days prior to expiration, but the whole "get in the day you buy the pass" I thought only worked with a new pass. If you renew, your new pass won't be valid until the old one expires, which means any blockout dates in effect on your existing pass will still be in effect. It used to be once you renewed your new pass became active and you weren't supposed to use the old one any more, but this year when I renewed at the ticket counter they made a big deal about how I had to use the old pass until it expired and the new one afterward.

I'm not super familiar with the ticketing system they use, and it's entirely possible they have some custom code that'd trigger your existing pass to be valid on the day because you renewed, even though neither pass would otherwise have been valid that day, but outside of some custom logic to do so, I would not have expected the renewal purchase to affect the valid/blockout dates on the previously issued pass.

I realize it is past the 29th when th OP was going, but I want to add we do this very thing every year. My wife and I go to DL every year for our anniversary (our once a year without the kids!), which is within 30 days of our pass renewal. We go on a Saturday, which would be a blockout day, renew our passes at the ticked booth, and receive a blockout ticket to use with our existing passes for the day. Now you don't even have to worry about old pass vs new pass because starting last year the new cards are not dated and are reused every year.

I have a SoCalSelect that expires in Aug. Last June I wanted to go to DL on a blackout date. I purchased a park hopper. At the end of the day, I went to the ticket booth and told them I wanted to use my ticket as credit to renew my AP. Even though it was outside of the 30 day renewal window they gave me credit for the ticket and my pass now expires in August of 2014. I was given a new pass.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post
    I've never heard that before. Usually you can renew starting 30 days prior to expiration, but the whole "get in the day you buy the pass" I thought only worked with a new pass. If you renew, your new pass won't be valid until the old one expires, which means any blockout dates in effect on your existing pass will still be in effect. It used to be once you renewed your new pass became active and you weren't supposed to use the old one any more, but this year when I renewed at the ticket counter they made a big deal about how I had to use the old pass until it expired and the new one afterward.

I'm not super familiar with the ticketing system they use, and it's entirely possible they have some custom code that'd trigger your existing pass to be valid on the day because you renewed, even though neither pass would otherwise have been valid that day, but outside of some custom logic to do so, I would not have expected the renewal purchase to affect the valid/blockout dates on the previously issued pass.
    you can renew your pass and go into the park on that day, but if you renew it before your expiration date, be aware that you will be resetting your expiration to that NEW date. So you could potentially loose some use of your pass, if say you were trying to renew 30 days prior to your expiration, you would loose 30 days of use.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

That's interesting because I did not lose any days when I renewed 60 days early. Was it because I bought a ticket first then renewed at the end of the day? I remember discussing this with the CM at the ticket booth. I just looked at my old pass and my new pass expiration date (on my DL profile) and I didn't lose any days. Maybe I was just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    you can renew your pass and go into the park on that day, but if you renew it before your expiration date, be aware that you will be resetting your expiration to that NEW date. So you could potentially loose some use of your pass, if say you were trying to renew 30 days prior to your expiration, you would loose 30 days of use.
    Incorrect.

I renewed my pass on a blockout day and didn't lose a single day on my pass.

For those wondering, here are the rules of blockout dates:

Blockout dates don't apply:

-First day of AP use.

-Upgrading a ticket or AP to an AP that is blocked out.

- Renewing within 40 days of your expiration date OR 30 days after your expiration date. Both of these options have to be done in person. If you renew after your expiration date, your pass will be backdated.

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Incorrect.

I renewed my pass on a blockout day and didn't lose a single day on my pass.

For those wondering, here are the rules of blockout dates:

Blockout dates don't apply:

-First day of AP use.

-Upgrading a ticket or AP to an AP that is blocked out.

- Renewing within 40 days of your expiration date OR 30 days after your expiration date. Both of these options have to be done in person. If you renew after your expiration date, your pass will be backdated.
    Sorry for being redundant here, just want to make sure I'm clear regarding upgrading an AP. If, for example, I wanted to upgrade a SoCal Select pass to a SoCal pass, could I go on ANY given day (say, a Saturday which is a blockout day for both SoCal passes), upgrade my pass from Select to SoCal, and receive admission on that (typically blocked out) day as well?

My head is spinning, but thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Sorry for being redundant here, just want to make sure I'm clear regarding upgrading an AP. If, for example, I wanted to upgrade a SoCal Select pass to a SoCal pass, could I go on ANY given day (say, a Saturday which is a blockout day for both SoCal passes), upgrade my pass from Select to SoCal, and receive admission on that (typically blocked out) day as well?

My head is spinning, but thanks for your help
    Yes, you would be allowed into the parks that day.