Thread: Why no Dash???

Why no Dash???

Why is Dash not in the Pixar Play Parade??? I think it is weird. I tell the kids he went by so fast we could not see him.

This one time on Friends . . .

Re: Why no Dash???

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner View Post
    Why is Dash not in the Pixar Play Parade??? I think it is weird. I tell the kids he went by so fast we could not see him.
    I've seen him in it multiple times. I'm thinking maybe he was under the weather that day Good cover story though, I would have told them he was off on a misson!

That is great to hear. Is he on the float or does you ride on the scooter things? pics??

This one time on Friends . . .

• Minion

I'm pretty sure he isn't and has never been in the parade

• Loving all things Disney!

I've seen the parade many times, and don't recall ever seening him. Haven't realized he was missing until now... That's just weird.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    I'm pretty sure he isn't and has never been in the parade
    He hasn't. They only added Violet to the back of the float when they had to move Jack-Jack from the top to the front so the float would fit under the trolley wires.

It really strikes me odd. And as the middle child in my own family, I'm slightly offended!

In reality though, I really don't know how they'd incorporate his power. Mr. I, Elastigirl, and Frozone are a given, since they're the main meet-and-greet characters. Jack-Jack can be done with the flamethrower and they can use Violet's force field. But Dash??? It's kind of odd to me.

They could do him as a puppet (i.e. the MU characters) with movable legs that are manipulated by a pupeteer on rollerskates or something.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JanitorofSHIELD View Post
    It really strikes me odd. And as the middle child in my own family, I'm slightly offended!

In reality though, I really don't know how they'd incorporate his power. Mr. I, Elastigirl, and Frozone are a given, since they're the main meet-and-greet characters. Jack-Jack can be done with the flamethrower and they can use Violet's force field. But Dash??? It's kind of odd to me.

They could do him as a puppet (i.e. the MU characters) with movable legs that are manipulated by a pupeteer on rollerskates or something.
    Or just make a meet and greet character for him

Why no Remy? (I know, the Ratatouille float got cut.)

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Or just make a meet and greet character for him
    They might as well, but for some reason, Disney seems to enjoy making fun puppets for parade use than they do actual meet and greet characters (Case-in-point, Smitty, Needleman, George, and the CDA Agents were replaced with the MU students with members of Oozma Kappa coming out of their backpacks).

• Rock Star Minion

A valid reason is that he's a lot smaller, scalewise, than the others, and it would take a "small" person to portray that character.

But, yeah, "He went by real fast" is a better answer. If only they could recreate that sensation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• the rum is always gone

There is a big difference between having a character in a parade and having a character interact with guests. Mostly it has to deal with the safety of the performer of the character. With performers on a parade float, they do not have to be able to see where they are looking. Their moves are choreographed and set to music. If they are strapped into a seat, all they have to do is wave, and move their head to the music.

With characters doing meet and greets, they have to be able to see. They have to shake hands with guests, sign autographs, pose for photos and not bump into any guests who are moving all around them. Sight is very important for performers doing meet and greets.

That is why the Jiminy Cricket and Dumbo characters are rarely seen doing meet and greets, but are sometimes included on parade floats. Even when Roger Rabbit was briefly out for the Easter "bunny hop" he had a cast member right by his side the entire time.

Additionally, some characters do not translate well in meet and greets. Characters like Smitty and Roz are hard plastic static parade units. They cant sign autographs and they aren't very articulated nor interactive. Mike W is the same way - he's not very articulated and cant sign autographs - but he exists because he is critical to the Monster's universe and is the sidekick of Sully (who also cant sign autographs - but is articulated and interactive). Plus, some of the characters look decent from a distance (during a parade) like Remy, George, and the Cinderella Mice, but when you actually get close to them during meet-and-greets you can see the flaws in the design of the character. The George character design has always bugged me. He looks like George, but where the legs attach to the body is awful, along with his feet and his "locked in place elbows" look odd and dysfunctional.

There also needs to be a high demand to see the character. I'm sure that Disney has a lot of characters in storage (see Long Lost Friends), but the demand for meet-and-greets with them is not as high volume as it is with the Fab 5 or the Princesses.

Name:  tumblr_kzjrg9yfiD1qb4x0go1_500.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  105.0 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    A valid reason is that he's a lot smaller, scalewise, than the others, and it would take a "small" person to portray that character.
    It's never been a problem with Cinderella and her mice, Pocahontas and Meeko, Pinocchio, Gepetto and Jiminy Cricket, Alice and the White Rabbit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    There is a big difference between having a character in a parade and having a character interact with guests. Mostly it has to deal with the safety of the performer of the character. With performers on a parade float, they do not have to be able to see where they are looking. Their moves are choreographed and set to music. If they are strapped into a seat, all they have to do is wave, and move their head to the music.

With characters doing meet and greets, they have to be able to see. They have to shake hands with guests, sign autographs, pose for photos and not bump into any guests who are moving all around them. Sight is very important for performers doing meet and greets.

That is why the Jiminy Cricket and Dumbo characters are rarely seen doing meet and greets, but are sometimes included on parade floats. Even when Roger Rabbit was briefly out for the Easter "bunny hop" he had a cast member right by his side the entire time.

Additionally, some characters do not translate well in meet and greets. Characters like Smitty and Roz are hard plastic static parade units. They cant sign autographs and they aren't very articulated nor interactive. Mike W is the same way - he's not very articulated and cant sign autographs - but he exists because he is critical to the Monster's universe and is the sidekick of Sully (who also cant sign autographs - but is articulated and interactive). Plus, some of the characters look decent from a distance (during a parade) like Remy, George, and the Cinderella Mice, but when you actually get close to them during meet-and-greets you can see the flaws in the design of the character. The George character design has always bugged me. He looks like George, but where the legs attach to the body is awful, along with his feet and his "locked in place elbows" look odd and dysfunctional.

There also needs to be a high demand to see the character. I'm sure that Disney has a lot of characters in storage (see Long Lost Friends), but the demand for meet-and-greets with them is not as high volume as it is with the Fab 5 or the Princesses.

Name:  tumblr_kzjrg9yfiD1qb4x0go1_500.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  105.0 KB
    Cinderella's mice do meet with guests and so does Mike W in WDW and Remy in Paris. I don't really understand your argument about characters needing to see in meet and greets since I was talking about adding a Dash character to the parade. Anyway there are plenty of characters that do meet and greets that have horrible visibility. And for having high demand, again I was talking about the parade and there are plenty of characters in parades that would not be high demand to meet.
    Last edited by ssaamm; 01-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Yeah, I'd imagine Terri and Terry having HORRIBLE visibility, though I just wish the parade performers' outfits were a bit more inspired. The Finding Nemo performers, for instance, are the puppets from the WDW musical.

But in my post, I wasn't saying characters exclusive to parades should do meet and greets, I was saying Disney might as well make fuzzy characters specifically FOR parade use, such as the Monsters, Inc. characters, but they've been opting out of that. Maybe it's a cost thing, but I still wish the way they depicted the MU characters was just as inventive and imaginative as the rest of the parade, and I wish they depicted Dash at all.