View Poll Results: Rate 2013 at the Disneyland Resort.

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • “E” Ticket – Outstanding year

17 24.29%
  • “D” Ticket – Not bad, just not the best

26 37.14%
  • “C” Ticket – Average, will forget about in a few years.

20 28.57%
  • “B” Ticket – What were they thinking? Very disappointing.

6 8.57%
  • “A” Ticket – Fail at all levels

1 1.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Rate 2013 at the Disneyland Resort.

C for me. The park didn't materially suffer from massive neglect as it has in some years, so there's that - the neglect tended to be more spot related and not systemic. No new offerings, but nothing major permanently shuttered. No real major investments in the park, but again, no major retractions.

Nothing that will make the year stand out in any real way down the road other than obscure trivia answers such as "What year did Disney's short/medium/longterm greeting area "Princess Fantasy Faire open? - this is a hard one, fifty points..."
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

C Ticket. Maintanence and sanitation seems to be slipping a little bit. I'm hoping that the maintenance was just a factor of BTMRR being closed longer then they expected and all of the new saftey railings taking away from their regular routine and that in 2014 things will be back up to standard. Cleanliness might be due to larger then expected crowds, so hopefully they'll have a better feel for what staffing levels custodial needs next year to keep the park pristine at all times.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

D, for sure. At least we got some new offerings.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    D, for sure. At least we got some new offerings.
    Actual question - what was newly added? I was racking my brains trying to come up with something and the closest I got was the Fantasy Faire (consolidating previous offerings from around the park into one static location, nice but I have a hard time calling it "new") and the Magic Map show, which is basically just another show in the Wonderbra.

Did I forget something?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

E-Ticket!

I thought 2013 ruled personally.

The addition of Jingle Cruise, Holiday Magic, Viva Navidad were nice suprises to the holiday season

Also Mickey and the Magical Map is an amazing show that you don't even have to wait in like for!

• Indiana Scott

I can't rate it because it was so bad during 2012 when I was there last, we decided to skip a year. Maybe more.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Carsland is an E+ addition - easily the best themed land of them all (Yes, Disneyland included). I was blown away by it and I'm just glad Disney went ahead and built it. It's a dream come true for a car / Cars fanatic like me. The "We are just getting started" Disney statue on California Adventure gave me goosebumps. The entire California Adventure is now... not just great. It's beautiful. Really beautiful. A true companion to Disneyland.

This year I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary on the Lilly Belle. Really. Can I top that experience? Hard to say. E+ year.

But as long as Tomorrowland is in that sorry state, I just can't think the resort is completely OK. Yeah, I'm picky. I just want to see Tomorrowland the way I did the first time I went to the resort - back in the late 80's.
    Last edited by fjhuerta; 12-31-2013 at 04:49 PM.

• "Always On The Move..."

Not good. Last time I was there (October) I slipped on mud/water at the hotel and broke my ankle in two places, resulting in surgery. Haven't been able to be back since. Hoping 2014 sees a better trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

As far as I'm concerned, they still haven't topped 1990 (35th celebration) or 2005 (50th celebration) since.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• MaliBOOMer

It was a good year.
    "D" ticket.
    Made it to DLR twice in 2013, once in March and once at the end of August. Things were good, Space Mountain is in sad condition and there were no ride openings but some cool things did happen. Projection added to Indiana Jones was nice, even though the Mara voice is no longer as deep and booming. As long as that horrible voice they first changed it to never comes back things will be ok. The extremely abused GAC is now gone and DAS appears to be working smoothly. I am very happy about that, it's what makes the D ticket rating for me.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, they still haven't topped 1990 (35th celebration) or 2005 (50th celebration) since.

Hah. You mentioned the two "big" celebrations I actually attended. Loved the 35th, but the 50th made me cry over and over again during "Wishes". It was, quite simply, Peak Disneyland to me.

In my eyes, it was a pretty lousy year for the park:

--Disney Gallery, with its rotating exhibits, was a personal favorite of mine. To see it further shrink is a major disappoint.

--I believe the unadvertised, non-monetized corners of the park that offer pure atmosphere and sense of place (without something to be sold shoved in one's face) are what make the place special and sophisticated. These have steadily been reduced/converted over the years, so the loss of public access to Court of Angels is a huge, permanent blow.

--The OSHA debacle continues to mean the disharmonious addition of walls and railings, some of which are glaring (e.g., Alice, Casey Jr.), others of which are better integrated. How did we survive for so many decades without these railings?

--Over-thinning of the berm. Parking structure now visible from the Mark Twain when not long ago the thick growth could easily pass for the endless frontier forest.

--Retiring of the Billies. Any loss of non-IP-based, in-theme live entertainment is a move in the wrong direction.

--Continued aborting of the theme-ing of BVS. BVS is the unsung hero of the DCA turn-around... it creates a compelling sense of place that the DCA 1.0 entrance area never provided and gets the visitor into the "this is someplace special" mindset. The in-period window dressings were icing on the cake: the attention to little details that has made the Disney parks so successful. Filling them up with the standard DisneyParks, made-in-China t-shirts, plastic mugs, etc., is tragic.

--Loss of Market House.

There were some good things to mention:
    -- Fantasy Faire was pretty nicely executed.
    -- Stage show returns to the FL theater.
    -- Some of the live, limited-time events.
    -- Projection mapping in Indy and wisely correcting the awful New Mara Voice 1.0.

Sadly, the negatives far outweigh them (IMO). B-ticket year.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 01-01-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Our first visit to Cars Land AND our first Christmas time visit AND our first stay at the DL Hotel made for a PERFECT 2013 trip! We loved Cars Land so much that we are going back as soon as our little guy hits 40 inches so we can ride RSR (we all skipped it this trip because we felt guilty riding it without him). We loved the magic of a Disney Christmas so much that we are booking a week at WDW in 2014. Staying at an on-property hotel keeps you in the Disney bubble for your whole trip, I can't imagine staying off-property now that we've seen the other side.

Like I said, for us, Disneyland in 2013 was PERFECT!

My one complaint is the bastardization of Pirates of the Carribean. It was not necessary to incorporate the movie characters. I know this happened a while ago, but it really bothered me on this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I rated it a D-Ticket.

Here's why: There were no new rides but there were so many other things that it more or less made up for it.

-Fantasy Faire, a nice little land opened

-Thor and Frozen meet & greets were pretty impressive set-ups, not just a standard locale (like Princess and the Frog)

-Jingle Cruise, Viva Navidad! and Winter Dreams, great new holiday offerings

-Mickey and the Magical Map is a great show that brings Fantasyland back to what it should be with entertainment offerings

-Limited Time Magic - too many to list really

So there you have it. And I guess you can throw the new Starbucks Markethouse into the mix but I'm personally not as happy about it (ex-Markethouse cast member here). There was a lot of things that made 2013 memorable. It doesn't always have to be a ride.
    My reasoning exactly! well, except for the addition of Starbucks to Market House. I loves me my Starbucks!
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I ranked it on my first trip since 2011. For me, it was an E ticket and then some.

Lilly Belle
    Club 33
    Cars Land
    LOW crowds

All around best year ever for us.
    Same and then some. I don't know how I'll ever top this year!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast