• Nutty about Disney parks

Housing developments near Disneyland

Kind of a silly question to ask but I've always wondered why there is so much housing development near Disneyland. I'm certain most of it did not exist when DL opened in '55. But wouldn't the value of your home go down being that close to a place like that with so much area traffic and fireworks going off every night?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Singing Drinker

Re: Housing developments near Disneyland

It does tend to be low income housing - a LOT of the area includes apartments and converted condo complexes.

The up side is that there's also a large concentration of low income workers for Disney to hire.

As to why it's there - presumably the commercial speculators buying out the orange fields around Disneyland felt there was no need to continue purchasing past a certain distance, and the residential developers (rightly) felt there would be a need for housing in the area. I don't *believe* zoning was really a concern at that point, but could be wrong.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

I don't sell homes nor do I own one in that area, but I am willing to be that its close proximity to a lot of jobs is a major factor in building houses there.

• Nerd

Anaheim is actually very centrally located between Los Angeles and Orange County right on the 5 freeway which is a main artery north and south, so it is a perfect place for lots of homes, condos, apartments etc. If you look at some of the history of why Disneyland was build there, it was due to the fact that this was considered a huge future growth area in the 50's. Seems like that prediction came true.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The houses near Disneyland, while expensive are not that expensive by OC standards. The more expensive homes tend to be farther away.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I live about a block or two from the park, the city is trying really hard to renovate the surrounding area. There are a lot of historic old homes just north of the park in between Anaheim and Fullerton. Anaheim's "Downtown" area is in the process of a major overhaul with new apartment complexes, shopping areas, and housing tracts being built like crazy. There is a weird patch of a not-so-great area (also where the last standing orange grove is) sort of in the middle there between Downtown Anaheim and Disneyland. It appears to be getting a little smaller the more the city builds though.

I think the reason for the building initially, like CMHusband said, is because Anaheim is a super centralized and ideal location. I am 20 minutes from the beach, 20-30 (traffic depending) from LA, an hour or so from the mountains, and so on. It makes sense as to why it's grown the way it has.

As a small child living in Orange County from 1960 through the early seventies, I saw how development took down orange groves and farmland between Santa Ana and Los Angeles over the years.

Based on my desire to spend my "Golden Years" near a Disney park, this makes Anaheim sound like it's preparing for my return...

As soon as they get that space port built so I can return from the moons of Endor...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    As a small child living in Orange County from 1960 through the early seventies, I saw how development took down orange groves and farmland between Santa Ana and Los Angeles over the years.

Based on my desire to spend my "Golden Years" near a Disney park, this makes Anaheim sound like it's preparing for my return...

As soon as they get that space port built so I can return from the moons of Endor...
    Good to hear.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Kind of a silly question to ask but I've always wondered why there is so much housing development near Disneyland. I'm certain most of it did not exist when DL opened in '55. But wouldn't the value of your home go down being that close to a place like that with so much area traffic and fireworks going off every night?
    It wouldn't go down.

It already is down.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Anaheim is actually very centrally located between Los Angeles and Orange County right on the 5 freeway which is a main artery north and south, so it is a perfect place for lots of homes, condos, apartments etc. If you look at some of the history of why Disneyland was build there, it was due to the fact that this was considered a huge future growth area in the 50's. Seems like that prediction came true.
    I seriously doubt that the future growth of the area was a driving element in building Disneyland there. I think the major reason was because there was a lot of available land at a reasonable price.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It wouldn't go down.

It already is down.
    If you call $500,000 for a 3 bedroom fixer shoe box "down".
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Hooterville, USA

Exactly. If anything, it's up because of Disney's influence in Anaheim.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Plop that same unit in the middle of Irvine and the price would easily be $200,000-$300,000 more.