Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

"Lost attractions" thread

I was wondering about this.. I read about something called the "Plantation" at Disneyland.

Was this a real building? What was it? I had never heard about it (sounds a bit like a slave thing, actually - am I wrong?).

How many other attractions have become "lost" (in the sense that nobody remembers them anymore?).

• Under that tree again!

Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Re: "Lost attractions" thread

I never hear a lot about the Viewliner, which led way to the Monorail.

• Minion

All of Holidayland and the circus that used to be in Fantasyland.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Donald's #1 Fan

Thanks! I know about both sites, but seldom visit Daveland, since Yesterland looks so much tidier and I enjoy more its contents. That's the reason I had never head about the Plantation - somehow, I don't think it's on Yesterland! I REALLY enjoyed the Daveland link - thank you so much.

• Chief Troublemaker

It seems to me that there was another train somewhere near where Innoventions is now and towards the TL RR station. It was a smaller scale that the current DLRR and I don't think it went all around the park. I also seem to remember that there were 2 Autopias at one time. I'm talking about back in the late '50s/very early '60s. I would have been only 3-5 years old so I may be 'misremembering' things.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It seems to me that there was another train somewhere near where Innoventions is now and towards the TL RR station. It was a smaller scale that the current DLRR and I don't think it went all around the park. I also seem to remember that there were 2 Autopias at one time. I'm talking about back in the late '50s/very early '60s. I would have been only 3-5 years old so I may be 'misremembering' things.
    There were two Autopias, before the big one we have today. Midget Autopia, Junior Autopia and now the TL Autopia.
    Midget Autopia at Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Thanks! I know about both sites, but seldom visit Daveland, since Yesterland looks so much tidier and I enjoy more its contents. That's the reason I had never head about the Plantation - somehow, I don't think it's on Yesterland! I REALLY enjoyed the Daveland link - thank you so much.
    That train you are thinking of is the Viewliner that frollofan mentioned.
    Werner Weiss puts out a new article every few months. No rush to catalogue every change at once. He does put really good detail into what he writes about. There is a sentence about it in the "other" attractions part of TL on Yesterland. There are a lot of pictures of Walt driving it such as this one.

Be Cool Stay in School!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There were two Autopias, before the big one we have today. Midget Autopia, Junior Autopia and now the TL Autopia.
    Are you counting the "twin autopia" years of the separate Fantasyland/Tomorrowland Autopias in there?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

Bring these guys back! Winnie the Pooh is only a 5 minute wait most of the time. I think the Country Bears would bring back more spirit in Critter Country. Of course, there is Splash Mountain, but Max, Melvin, and Buff have waited.

-> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Are you counting the "twin autopia" years of the separate Fantasyland/Tomorrowland Autopias in there?
    Yes.

Midget Autopia was a tiny attraction that I think backed against the side of the Storyland Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Across from that was the Junior Autopia on what is now the sub building. The TL Autopia when the subs reopened a decade ago as Nemo used the land it originally used plus the Jr Autopia that loaded in FL. So we lost one, then the other but the third grew.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Yes.

Midget Autopia was a tiny attraction that I think backed against the side of the Storyland Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Across from that was the Junior Autopia on what is now the sub building. The TL Autopia when the subs reopened a decade ago as Nemo used the land it originally used plus the Jr Autopia that loaded in FL. So we lost one, then the other but the third grew.
    Just as a clarification, Junior Autopia closed in 1958 when they built the Subs, as you mentioned. But it was replaced by a full-blown FL Autopia. So the latest version of Autopia used the land of the twin FL and TL Autopias as they had stood since 1959.

• Chief Troublemaker

Thanks guys! I clearly remember the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland Autopias. I seem to remember that the 'roads' kind of entwined or intersected with each other, but I must also have vague memories of the Midget one, too, as I remember a barn door opening as part of the 'drive', but don't remember the Midget as a separate, 'third' Autopia.

The Viewliner must be the train I remember, but isn't it funny that my memory sees that 'little' train as more along the lines of an enclosed, less 'circusy' Casey Jr rather than as a futuristic train.

I am really enjoying this thread & others like it on MC. I've been going to DL since 1955 (as a baby) and it's amazing at times the memories these types of threads evoke. Sometimes it brings back memories of long forgotten attractions, sometimes it's 'so THAT'S what that was. I'm not crazy!'

I have some 8mm home movies that we put on VHS taken at DL back in '55 (one bit may have been opening day, my mom can't remember any more). Maybe 10 minutes or so total. I keep nagging my DH to put it on a CD so I can upload it. One of these days…...
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Yes, please nag your DH some more to put those movies on Youtube... maybe letting him know how many people would enjoy watching them would help.

I love reading about the obscure, little-known, forgotten, lost attractions, shows and features of Disneyland. Anyone remember “Papotin’s Revue” which played in the Fantasyland Theater in the summer of 1963 only - and required an E ticket to get into?

Name:  Midget Autopia Postcard 2.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  60.0 KB

Above is a photo of Midget Autopia, and yes it was next to Storybook Land Canal Boats. On the other side of the fence at left is the canal, and I believe in the background at right is the Fantasyland train station. You can see video of the Midget Autopia on Youtube; for example at 5:30 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecfu1YogD8 . The location today seems to be just landscaped pathways and trees with a couple of concession stands.

The "Nature's Wonderland" area where Big Thunder Mtn. RR now sits has seen as many as 4 attractions operating at once (from 1956-1959 the Conestoga Wagons, Rainbow Mountain Stage Coaches, Rainbow Ridge Mule Pack and Rainbow Caverns Mine Train all operated in that area simultaneously). I couldn’t find a photo that shows all 4 of them in one photo, but you can find plenty of photos of them individually. And you can see a Disney-made film showing them at Frontierland in Color (part 1) - YouTube and Frontierland in Color (part 2) - YouTube

Name:  NATURES-WONDERLAND-TIMELINE-2 2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  55.5 KB

(The above chart timeline not include the Big Thunder Ranch or Festival of Fools, which also operated in that area of the park. )

Name:  55Yellowstone 2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  200.1 KB

There is also this yellow horse-drawn surrey, which for a short time, used the same trails that the Stagecoach and Conestoga Wagons used. From what I have read, it operated only during the park’s first year or so, and was called the “Yellowstone Coach.” It was different from the Stagecoach (which had doors) and the Conestoga Wagon (which was bigger and had a fabric top). Above is a picture of it going through Frontierland in 1955. I can’t find much information about it. There were similar horse-drawn surreys operating on Main Street, but those were black.

Name:  cd0fdec7c6350c80_large.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  133.6 KB

Above is a photo of possibly the ultimate “lost attraction,” at least in my mind, the Buckboard, which apparently operated very early in the park’s history, but I can’t find any records of any tickets for it, or it being listed on any park publications. Maybe it was a brief demonstration attraction that they decided not to continue. It is shown crossing some kind of stream or maybe an inlet from the river. I’m sure Disney’s lawyers today would have a ball with this attraction. There are more photos of it at http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...ures-of_7.html
    Last edited by Bob Weaver; 01-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.

I love the sarcastic copy for Yesterland's descriptions of the DCA stuff.

• Blew By You

Aspects of attractions have been altered or disappeared. Like Switzer Falls of the Jungle Cruise has been dimished from a full on falls to what it is currently. And the burning cabin of the Rivers of America has had its storyline changed several times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast