Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Goofy

Re: Plastic Bags in Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Regulation should be kept at the bare minimum however. Over regulation is a VERY bad thing. Look at DL. It would NEVER be built today with today's regulations. Are all those regulations NECESSARY? Absolutely not. Regulation is a self sustaining prophecy.

regulations is especially killing everyone now days.

Weird...I must have typed in the wrong web address. I thought this was a site about Disney.

No deposit for glass/aluminum/plastic here in AZ. Our roadways are still clean. Just sayin' Behavior is the problem, not the material used. Change the behavior not the inanimate object. Its nearly as bad as "gun" laws.
    How much of that material ends up in landfills because people have no incentive to return them for recycling? I venture a guess that places with deposits end up with higher percentage of people recycling said material, money creates incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Material IS a problem. In this case, it uses finite resources, it damages the oceans, and it fills up landfills. Even if every single person threw their bags away, they would clog the landfills. If every single person brought their bags back for recycling, then you're wasting time/money/manpower on that which could be spent elsewhere. Transitioning from plastic bags to reusable or paper ones really isn't that big of a deal, and it does a lot of good. I will applaud the day Disney does away with them, whether that is by their own choice or OC mandate.
    For sure, material is a major issue, my town limits our trash, we are allowed 1 container twice a month for trash, they wont take more then 1 container every 2 weeks. Recycling is picked up weekly. They do make it easy by not requiring anything to be sorted, they do all the sorting after pick up, but a good 99% of what I use in a month can be recycled, its amazing how recyclable everything really is.

Basically the only thing that ends up in the trash are things like razors, tooth paste tubes, styro-foam, even food scraps are placed for composting in a separate container.

When you can no longer throw unlimited trash away, its amazing how much gets recycled.

• Nerd

In the long run to get back on topic. It seems as though the bans on bags is a city by city ban (at least for now) so that being said. I can't see Anaheim doing something that would majorly inconvenience its biggest business partner in the community. Besides - I don't have that many "Disney" bags under my sink and I don't see them blowing all over the streets of Anaheim or floating in the ocean.

On the other hand, when I run into 7-11 to grab a bunch of cokes, chips and powdered donuts, I would like to be able to have the guy put it in a bag for me to carry out to my car. The ban is HB is still a stupid feel good law in my opinion.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    On the other hand, when I run into 7-11 to grab a bunch of cokes, chips and powdered donuts, I would like to be able to have the guy put it in a bag for me to carry out to my car. The ban is HB is still a stupid feel good law in my opinion.
    Grocers and convenience store workers will still bag stuff up for you if you bring your own. I leave a reusable bag in my car for convenience and when I use it, it goes back in my car the next time I drive somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Grocers and convenience store workers will still bag stuff up for you if you bring your own. I leave a reusable bag in my car for convenience and when I use it, it goes back in my car the next time I drive somewhere.
    Just remember to wash your reusable bag regularly with Disney Detergent. Those bags breed a lot of really bad bacteria, especially when left in a hot car.

Reusable Grocery Bags May Present Health Risk, Study Says | NBC Southern California

When I was in San Francisco, the Disney Store charged 10 cents for a nicely themed Mickey Mouse bag. A similar gift bag would probably have cost at least $2 at the store. Needless to say, I reused it as a gift bag. The Walt Disney Family Museum did not charge for their bag. I wonder if non-profits are exempt.

Personally, I don't mind the ban. Having traveled internationally, I know many countries already have had the ban for years. What I would like to see is for more people to use cloth bags. You just throw them in the washing machines and then the dryer. The sturdy plastic bags that are popular here are cheaper, but very hard to clean and dry properly.

At Disneyland, the bags they usual use for purchases are more or less used as a "souvenir" for some people. DH & I sometimes will bring a reusable Disney tote bag for our purchases but not always. We've had quite a bit of the bags you get at the shops inside the park that we end up using them for garbage bags when we traveled to there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Just remember to wash your reusable bag regularly with Disney Detergent. Those bags breed a lot of really bad bacteria, especially when left in a hot car.

Reusable Grocery Bags May Present Health Risk, Study Says | NBC Southern California
    Ooh, thanks for the article! I hadn't even considered that, though I've made an effort to put meats in plastic bags (gasp, I need to buy more reusable bags). I'll throw my bag in the wash next time for sure.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

CA legislators are weird.
    From the guy who lives in a state where Steven Seagal is considering running for governor.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    From the guy who lives in a state where Steven Seagal is considering running for governor.
    Anybody can try, however he wouldn't have a chance. I mean c'mon.. like we would elect a moviestar... or in CA's case... multiple times...

I'll keep personal freedom state. Would love to live in CA's climate and locales... could never deal with the lack of rights/freedoms.

Bump!

Looks like a statewide plastic bag ban might be coming to CA soon:

Statewide ban on single-use plastic bags, fee for other bags proposed - latimes.com

Both houses of our state reps seem to support it but I dont know if Gov. Brown has said if he would sign it once it gets to his desk.

• Minion

I work at a mall in a city that hasn't enacted this yet (thank god). But whenever I get customers from Seattle or Bellingham they are hesitant to let me bag their purchase. I often point out that if I were going to charge them for the bag I'd have asked about a bag before they know the price. I'm glad it hasn't been used because my family uses them as liners for our individual garbage cans.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by philosofy View Post
    Bump!

Looks like a statewide plastic bag ban might be coming to CA soon:

Statewide ban on single-use plastic bags, fee for other bags proposed - latimes.com

Both houses of our state reps seem to support it but I dont know if Gov. Brown has said if he would sign it once it gets to his desk.
    that is awful realistically nobody can afford that. I hope it does not happen.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast