Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Editor's Note about TL and Soarin

Baby Steps. I just wish they took measures like this years ago. It's time for grown-up steps now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    BLAB is a child's playtime fantasy. It has nothing to do with future vision. The whole attraction's storyline is centered around recovering stolen AA batteries.
    Valid point. But it's arguably more futuristic than most every other attraction there before it, especially the ones Walt installed.

CirCarAma was a 360 movie of contemporary 1950's America, designed to sell Nash and Rambler automobiles. They actually had new Ramblers parked in the auditorium of the movie! Not exactly subtle, but it paid the bills.
    Name:  55+Circarama+screens.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  26.2 KB

CircleVision was a 360 movie of contemporary 1960's America, designed to sell second bedroom phones and upgraded service packages from Bell Telephone.

American Journeys was a 360 movie of contemporary 1980's America, but the sponsorship was even less relevant. Sponsored by PSA, a small regional airline that didn't fly to any of the national locations featured in the movie.

I hate to admit this, but the only truly "futuristic" attraction to occupy that space in the last 58 years was the Paul Pressler approved Rocket Rods queue and NASA exhibit in the old post-show area. From 1998 to 2000 there was at least a plotline and show that foretold a possible future transport system, and spoke of man's future in outer space.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Agreed. Tomorrowland has a history of not delivering the future. BLAB is certainly no more an egregious departure than many other TL attractions of the past and present.

It would be interesting to review all the TL attractions of bygone years and the current ones as well, and see how many (and which ones specifically) could be said to really support the theme of the land. The results might be surprising.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    It would be interesting to review all the TL attractions of bygone years and the current ones as well, and see how many (and which ones specifically) could be said to really support the theme of the land. The results might be surprising.
    Not to mention how many of them were essentially commercials for the company sponsoring them...

I loved the NASA exhibit, but it was also less about the future and more "look how awesome we've been and how awesome the rover we built is"
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Finally a proper back story for Tomorrowland. No more "HERE IS FUTURISTIC STUFF WITH NO RHYME, REASON, OR SUBTLETY."
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Considering the array of attractions that are there, the spaceport theme does make the most sense. Of course that still leaves the issue of the Submarine Voyage and Autopia in the northern part of the land. If they are not torn down or rethemed, perhaps they should be part of a new land...a land of what, I have no idea.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Considering the array of attractions that are there, the spaceport theme does make the most sense. Of course that still leaves the issue of the Submarine Voyage and Autopia in the northern part of the land. If they are not torn down or rethemed, perhaps they should be part of a new land...a land of what, I have no idea.
    A re-theme of the sub/autopia area would be awesome to create a new land and preserve those attractions somehow. I would be for a complete tear down and re-design of that area but I fear my ideas would be very costly for WDI I would like the lagoon preserved but redo the whole sub ride to be more like the TDS one 20000 leagues. As for autopia you could redesign the vehicles to be more of a clockwork look to fit the theme of the new subs. Package that up with a restaurant and shop for a new subland. There is a lot of land in the north part of the park that could be re-used if they were willing to dump a lot of money and time into it. This would free up TL for Star Wars ideas if they really want to go through with them (Innoventions building, Space mountain, EO, BLAB, pizza port, tomorrowland terrace) I would hate to see Space mountain re-themed though I would just leave it but they could re-theme buzz to Star Wars pretty ez IMO and the two restaurants.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    ...but they could re-theme buzz to Star Wars pretty ez IMO and the two restaurants.
    Imagining the final fall of Darth Vader from Scary Villain to Comic Relief - when he's a standup target wailing ineffectual threats at an endless line of children and adults using him for target practice.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

If I were in charge I would theme it to be rebel pilots target training. You could have different vehicle designs. A, b, x,y wing that the riders sit in and then obviously imperial targets to fire upon. Then babe the option to print out a picture with score and your rebel alliance pilots card or something.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    If I were in charge I would theme it to be rebel pilots target training. You could have different vehicle designs. A, b, x,y wing that the riders sit in and then obviously imperial targets to fire upon. Then babe the option to print out a picture with score and your rebel alliance pilots card or something.
    When they were first (miceage that is) pushing the SW remake rumors, this was one of the things I kinda wished had made it into PM discussions. Set up "gunner" positions and create practical animatronic effect targets a la MIB's shooting gallery along the route, sell it using the theme you discuss.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Former Churro Jockey

Although I am 100% against adding more Star Wars to Tomorrowland, IF they were going to make it Star Wars land, then it seems like Buzz could easily be turned into a ride with the gunner seats from the Milennium Falcon that Luke and Han use to shoot tie fighters from the original Star Wars.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Although I am 100% against adding more Star Wars to Tomorrowland, IF they were going to make it Star Wars land, then it seems like Buzz could easily be turned into a ride with the gunner seats from the Milennium Falcon that Luke and Han use to shoot tie fighters from the original Star Wars.
    What's sad and this is all speculation of course is Disney would probably oversee the opportunity to even do something with Buzz to fit it in a Star Wars theme. If they did indeed go down the route of a dominate Star Wars theme in TL

• Pilot EdForceOne

Iger has tapped Lucas to remake Tommorrowland into a Tommorrowland Special Edition...

He will create new props spread around the land and redecorate things under the guise that the original TL was not complete and cut short due to budget. This will set the stage for the TL sequels... where a special Mickey AA will be added to the end of Space Mountain screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Minion

I agree that the AO needs to move from its current spot where it creates a bottleneck at the entrance to Tomorrowland. However - and I'm in the minority here, I know - I would be incredibly sad if it went away forever, or was turned into a Star Wars spinner. The ride itself is beautiful and thoughtfully designed, from the rockets to the spinning planets, and I would hope that they'd find another home for it.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Pilot EdForceOne

They could retheme the rocks and AO to be a jawa spinner... as a way of explaining why the junk (aka planets) never work
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast