Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Editor's Note about TL and Soarin

Editorís Note:

• January 3, 2014: Star Wars-ish: Just before Burbank executives left town for their Christmas vacations, TDA was given the greenlight on a few modest budget items breaking the full-stop on most WDI projects back in November. The aesthetic re-skin of most Tomorrowland facades for 2014 into a new "Spaceport" theme has now been approved and funded. No new rides are involved, and the Astro Orbiter gets torn out to await its rebirth as part of Star Wars Land, but the remnants of New Tomorrowland 1998 in the front half of the land all get removed. The big Soarin' HD rehab is still a go this winter, but the plans for the 60th didn't fare as well as they will go with a cheaper celebration for '15 that's heavy on nostalgia and light on substance.

From the front page of mice chat. What does everyone think? Not real big news unfortunately. I hope the 60th get's more than this but I am not holding my breath.

• film975

Re: Editor's Note about TL and Soarin

Again I regard all this as speculation until Disney makes an official announcement.

•   
    • Minion

Yeah I do too but it's always fun to speculate and have a discussion. I treat all news the same but still offer opinions even on rumors.

• Chief Troublemaker

Well, if it means getting rid of that ugly rock planter thingy near the hub I'm all for it! And nothing is mentioned about a start date, so 'approved and funded' could mean for the year 2025 and a 'Spaceport' paint job (or whatever) could just as easily NOT be SW in nature, as far as that goes. And I'm all for relocating the AstroOrbiter, IF they put it back where it belongs! And that's my contribution to the speculation.

I think it'll be a shame if Disney lets its 'Diamond Anniversary' go by without a major celebration. I don't think they need to go all out with something brand new, just celebrate the 'original' attractions by sprucing them up, maybe having the entry turn stile randomly popping out 'diamond tickets' (FOTL pass) at the main gate to allow a guest (& their party) to ride a preselected original attraction as many times that day as they want. I think that would be kind of cool and wouldn't really cost Disney anything. There are what, maybe 13-14 actual original attractions left? How much of an impact on daily operations would it be to have one party able to ride Peter Pan or the Mark Twain over and over?

I agree, it can be fun to speculate as long as people don't get all het up about it. If you just keep a 'Well, you might be right….but I don't think so' attitude about it.
    Last edited by Stormy; 01-03-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Again I regard all this as speculation until Disney makes an official announcement.
    Noted.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I'm all for making Tomorrowland look futuristic again, so if that's all we can get, then I'll take it. And I'm VERY happy that it's not going to be a Star Wars theme. I think Astro Orbiter had to go even if it was a popular ride. The parks are so crowded now and it's just such an obstacle for people wanting to get into Tomorrowland. During parades and fireworks it really is a nightmare trying to get into Tomorrowland from Main St. They need to really open up that space and have as large of a walkway as possible into Tomorrowland.

I'm definitely looking forward to a new Soarin film. I hope it's places that are maybe not as well known that people haven't seen hundreds of times before in movies. Maybe something like Machu Picchu, Ha Long Bay, the Nazca Lines, the Galapagos, a wildabeast migration in Africa, etc.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I'm all for making Tomorrowland look futuristic again, so if that's all we can get, then I'll take it. And I'm VERY happy that it's not going to be a Star Wars theme. I think Astro Orbiter had to go even if it was a popular ride. The parks are so crowded now and it's just such an obstacle for people wanting to get into Tomorrowland. During parades and fireworks it really is a nightmare trying to get into Tomorrowland from Main St. They need to really open up that space and have as large of a walkway as possible into Tomorrowland.

I'm definitely looking forward to a new Soarin film. I hope it's places that are maybe not as well known that people haven't seen hundreds of times before in movies. Maybe something like Machu Picchu, Ha Long Bay, the Nazca Lines, the Galapagos, a wildabeast migration in Africa, etc.
    I don't mind them moving it just hope it's sooner than later. Would be completely lame to take it out and have it gone for a couple of years. It does have a good line usually. It will definetely open up TL of course without the PM movign above it I think it may look plain.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I don't mind them moving it just hope it's sooner than later. Would be completely lame to take it out and have it gone for a couple of years. It does have a good line usually. It will definetely open up TL of course without the PM movign above it I think it may look plain.
    I'll take plain over bottleneck crowds any day!!!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I am all in favor of a heavily-themed Space Port and improving pedestrian flow. Mos Eisley is a backwater space port on a fringe world -- we can do better.

I've just started Sam Gennaway's book and realized that during the time McDonnell Douglas sponsored the Moon Rocket my father worked for them. I grew up in a household with glossy 8x10s of rockets hanging in the den. As did many children of the 1960's I expected regular space traffic within our solar system during my lifetime as promised by that eminent duck, Dr. Ludwig von Drake. Now, with the help of Disney Imagineering, I can finally look forward to pretending I'm on the journey to Uranus that caused such giggles when I was seven.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

Tomorrowland would look so much nicer without the Astro Orbiter and those French Fry rocks clogging up the entryway.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I am all in favor of a heavily-themed Space Port and improving pedestrian flow. Mos Eisley is a backwater space port on a fringe world -- we can do better.

I've just started Sam Gennaway's book and realized that during the time McDonnell Douglas sponsored the Moon Rocket my father worked for them. I grew up in a household with glossy 8x10s of rockets hanging in the den. As did many children of the 1960's I expected regular space traffic within our solar system during my lifetime as promised by that eminent duck, Dr. Ludwig von Drake. Now, with the help of Disney Imagineering, I can finally look forward to pretending I'm on the journey to Uranus that caused such giggles when I was seven.
    Uranus jokes are still gold.

I am not sold on the whole spaceport make-over, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt. Considering that more than half of TL has little or no connection to any futuristic vision at all (BLAB, Autopia, Finding Nemo, Innoventions), I am at least pleased that thought (even cursory) is once again being given to theme.

I hope the new TL will be more about mankind's future rather than stock futures. But we'll see.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Uranus jokes are still gold.

I am not sold on the whole spaceport make-over, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt. Considering that more than half of TL has little or no connection to any futuristic vision at all (BLAB, Autopia, Finding Nemo, Innoventions), I am at least pleased that thought (even cursory) is once again being given to theme.

I hope the new TL will be more about mankind's future rather than stock futures. But we'll see.
    BLAB at least can fit into the idea of a Spaceport (flying a ship out to an alien planet) and the other attractions would need some rethinking, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

I have to disagree with you. I think a Star Wars themed area of the land (from Star Tours to the subs) would be a good idea because every decade or so, Disney tries to make TL more futuristic.Imagine the possibilities: an interactive Cantina/restaurant to replace Pizza Port and ( I'm afraid of the comments this next one will create) replacing Innoventions,Autopia,and the subs for a new E-Ticket attraction involving speeders.And yes, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, and Astro Orbiter will be left out of this.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    BLAB at least can fit into the idea of a Spaceport (flying a ship out to an alien planet) and the other attractions would need some rethinking, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for the land.
    BLAB is a child's playtime fantasy. It has nothing to do with future vision. The whole attraction's storyline is centered around recovering stolen AA batteries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    BLAB is a child's playtime fantasy. It has nothing to do with future vision. The whole attraction's storyline is centered around recovering stolen AA batteries.
    Agreed, BLAB does not belong in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast