Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Possible Frozen Ride?

On a more serious note, they now have a reason, should they choose to use it, to explain why Sleeping Beauty's castle becomes covered with snow during the less-than-freezing Southern California winter. "The holidays are here and look what Queen Elsa's done to the castle!"

• Minion

The last thing the Norway pavilion needs to be is Princessland Epcot Edition. And as good a movie as Frozen was and for all the Norwegian culture showcased in the film's design, it's just something Disney made up when looking at a Danish fairy tale and got too caught up with the title character that doesn't get much screentime and chose to ignore the actual story which would have made for a good Disney road movie. The other fairy tales and characters meeting in World Showcase have some connection to their countries, even Aladdin and Morocco (which at first glance is basically "Meh, closest thing to the Middle East") makes more sense once you find that the Cave of Wonders is somewhere in North Africa in the original story, but Frozen's connection to Norway is a smidge hollow compared to the rest.
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 01-04-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• failure for lunch

I'm still waiting for an e-ticket based on the aristocats!!!!!!!
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    I heard that Pixar's Dia De Los Muertos film is getting an attraction in Frontierland, guys. Is this true?
    Only if Disney is granted a trademark on the holiday itself....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    On a more serious note, they now have a reason, should they choose to use it, to explain why Sleeping Beauty's castle becomes covered with snow during the less-than-freezing Southern California winter. "The holidays are here and look what Queen Elsa's done to the castle!"
    Good one (really, I like your idea), but unfortunately the castle will be covered with snow throughout the year from now on because Frozen takes place during July anyway (saves on having to undo and redo the overlay). Right back to snarky sarcasm, per the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    And as good a movie as Frozen was and for all the Norwegian culture showcased in the film's design, it's just something Disney made up when looking at a Danish fairy tale and got too caught up with the title character that doesn't get much screentime
    If there must be a connection between the fairy tale and the country, then at least the original Snow Queen's palace is located in Norway (Spitsbergen), which makes it one of the countries in which the fairy tale is set. I guess this makes Frozen about as good of a fit for Norway as Aladdin is for Morocco, with the added bonus of Disney's movie being focused on a region of Norway specifically.

and chose to ignore the actual story which would have made for a good Disney road movie.
    This may well be what they had attempted to do on several occasions, but finally chose instead to go with what they considered the best movie they could come up with. For whatever reasons, the road trip storyline never panned out for them (and it's been done--they would have changed it a lot anyway, as usual).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post

"Disney's not going to make the mistake they made with "The Little Mermaid" again. They're not going to wait 20 years to get a ride," Hill went on to explain, referencing the Ariel's Undersea Adventure attraction that opened in Disney California Adventure on May 26, 2011 and in the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland on October 12, 2012, more than 20 years after "The Little Mermaid" debuted in theaters. Hill went on to address the advanced timetable: "There will be something in the next 18 months. Supposedly there's something larger in the works for Disneyland but that's in line behind the Marvel and the 'Star Wars' stuff."
    What puts Frozen in a category that it must turn into a ride? Didn't the Magic Kingdom lose numerous dark rides based on classic Disney animation? I would certainly like to see them return a few closed rides.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    If there must be a connection between the fairy tale and the country, then at least the original Snow Queen's palace is located in Norway (Spitsbergen), which makes it one of the countries in which the fairy tale is set. I guess this makes Frozen about as good of a fit for Norway as Aladdin is for Morocco, with the added bonus of Disney's movie being focused on a region of Norway specifically.
    I thought her palace was in Lapland
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    What puts Frozen in a category that it must turn into a ride?
    I imagine that in general it must depend on a number of factors, including how inspirational WDI finds a particular movie as well as opportunity. I'm not sure why a ride based on The Little Mermaid was delayed for so long because it could (and should) have been built in Disneyland, but nevertheless an opportunity and need (from WDI's perspective, not necessarily ours) arose in DCA, so that's why it finally got done. Frozen's box office success may have something to do with it, but as we can see with the weak representation of The Lion King in Disneyland, while Song of the South is well represented in Splash Mountain, popularity alone is not enough (and that's a good sign)--sometimes it may just be that nobody at WDI can come up with a worthy attraction that fits, or in the case of Beauty and the Beast's snub during the last major Storybook Land update, likely whatever they could come up with was too similar to what was already there (just my guess). Another example of opportunity was Tarzan, and while I realize that a great many of us are not happy with the loss of the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and the design of its replacement, some folks at WDI felt very inspired by the movie (whatever we may think of it individually) and took the opportunity to re-theme an old attraction.

Assuming for the sake of argument that a potential Frozen attraction really is a hot topic in WDI and Disney management right now, as rumored, then it's probably because of all the possibilities they see in the snow and ice theme, as well as certain aspects of the story that seem to lend themselves readily to theme park attractions. Or maybe somebody or other inside WDI just happened to come up with a brilliant concept that made everybody think "OK, we HAVE to do this now!" (one can always hope). Who knows why this hasn't happened with many other movies, but creativity and design at this level often consists of cases of "lightning in a bottle" where you can't predict when the most worthy ideas will come along and for what--it takes a combination of the right material and the right individuals who happen to be in the right place at the right time. Of course, all of this is speculation regarding what may be going on in this case, but I'm really addressing how I view the general case anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Didn't the Magic Kingdom lose numerous dark rides based on classic Disney animation? I would certainly like to see them return a few closed rides.
    I'm not sure why those rides were closed in the Magic Kingdom at WDW, but there is room in Disneyland to add a dark ride or two, in Fantasyland, without removing existing attractions, depending on the size--it's the old Motor Boat Cruise area, which yields up to approximately an acre.

I thought her palace was in Lapland
    It depends on which abode. The fairy tale is a bit vague about it. Here is an excerpt that mentions Spitsbergen (as "Spitzbergen"--different spelling, same place):

"What is that you say up there?" cried little Gerda. "Where did the Snow Queen go to? Do you know anything about it?"

"She is no doubt gone to Lapland; for there is always snow and ice there. Only ask the Reindeer, who is tethered there."

"Ice and snow is there! There it is, glorious and beautiful!" said the Reindeer. "One can spring about in the large shining valleys! The Snow Queen has her summer-tent there; but her fixed abode is high up towards the North Pole, on the Island called Spitzbergen."
    So supposedly the Snow Queen spends her summers in Lapland, but Kai (or Kay--different spelling, same character) spent at least one winter with her, and I presume it must (or just might?) have been in Spitsbergen (or else why even mention it?), which is a part of Norway. Clearly Gerda's destination at the end, where she finds Kai, is in the Finland portion of the Lapland region, and that abode is much more than the reindeer makes it out to be, but a part of Norway is in the story somewhere. Granted, this may not be nearly enough by your standards, though.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 01-04-2014 at 09:04 AM.

• Minion

I imagine that in general it must depend on a number of factors, including how inspirational WDI finds a particular movie as well as opportunity. I'm not sure why a ride based on The Little Mermaid was delayed for so long because it could (and should) have been built in Disneyland, but nevertheless an opportunity and need (from WDI's perspective, not necessarily ours) arose in DCA, so that's why it finally got done.
    As I recall, they had a Little Mermaid concept for Disneyland Paris (the cool one with the individual hanging shell vehicles a'la Peter Pan) in the 90's, long before they came up with the cheap DCA version.

I think they did a virtual version of the DLP ride as an addition to the Little Mermaid DVD.

• Minion

Another example of opportunity was Tarzan, and while I realize that a great many of us are not happy with the loss of the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and the design of its replacement, some folks at WDI felt very inspired by the movie (whatever we may think of it individually) and took the opportunity to re-theme an old attraction.
    Actually, Tarzan was added to the treehouse in an effort to save it. Paul Pressler determined that the treehouse was in a perfect "crossroads" location for a potential merchandise stand. WDI (and Tony Baxter specifically) was able to sell TDA the Tarzan's Treehouse concept merely in an effort to ensure that it wasn't torn down in favor of merch. I wouldn't say that Tony was incredibly inspired by the film, but rather used the tie-in a leverage to protect the treehouse itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    As I recall, they had a Little Mermaid concept for Disneyland Paris (the cool one with the individual hanging shell vehicles a'la Peter Pan) in the 90's, long before they came up with the cheap DCA version.
    I'm aware of that and have viewed the "ride-through" video, but they didn't build the ride either there or here, despite having conceptualized it to a significant degree (and well). The question in this thread was basically "Why Frozen?" (if the rumors have any truth) and my point is that it's not just about the movie itself (although that is a factor, depending on how those in WDI view it), as there are other reasons certain attractions get built or do not get built (and when and in what form, in the case of The Little Mermaid).

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Actually, Tarzan was added to the treehouse in an effort to save it. Paul Pressler determined that the treehouse was in a perfect "crossroads" location for a potential merchandise stand. WDI (and Tony Baxter specifically) was able to sell TDA the Tarzan's Treehouse concept merely in an effort to ensure that it wasn't torn down in favor of merch. I wouldn't say that Tony was incredibly inspired by the film, but rather used the tie-in a leverage to protect the treehouse itself.
    Well, Tony Baxter claimed that he was, anyway, for what it's worth. I don't know what others around this forum think, but I think it's a really good movie, myself--the attraction, however, not so much (which may help prove your point about the lack of inspiration in reality). In any case, it still shows that it's not just about the movies, their popularity, or how certain individuals in WDI may view them--usually many factors have to line up for anything to get done, apparently including opportunities to save some infrastructure, such as the submarines, which apparently leveraged the overwhelming popularity and box office success of Finding Nemo (both inexplicable to me, as I don't like this movie much), as well as that of Pixar, to sell the project to those who sign the checks. Each case is different, and the choices won't always make sense to the rest of us.

Now, if the question is why WE want rides based on certain movies, obviously big fans of certain movies are going to be excited about the prospect--it happens every time with every well-liked movie (especially animated features) Disney comes out with. Personally, I'd love for there to be a Beauty and the Beast or Frozen attraction of some sort in Disneyland because I'm particularly fond of these movies (Tangled, too, and several others), but only if what WDI is able to come up with is really good, of course.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 01-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.

• Not the Hawkguy

If you're asking the question of "Why Frozen?", then it probably helps that WDI had already done a ton of concept work on an Ice Queen ride since the early days of the park. The idea is obviously an older one, and Frozen's success could provide them the reason to finally follow through.

• Heavy Breather

We still don't have a Beauty and the Beast attraction.
    That should be priority one in terms of dark rides based on animated films.

Rumors said that the old Fantasyland Skyway Station was coming down in the first part of this year...that seems like it would create enough space if they didn't want the expense of filling in the motorboat lagoon. Also, is there any reason that the space just east of IASW can't be used (aside from parades)? What about where they have the Merida m&g?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    If you're asking the question of "Why Frozen?", then it probably helps that WDI had already done a ton of concept work on an Ice Queen ride since the early days of the park. The idea is obviously an older one, and Frozen's success could provide them the reason to finally follow through.
    Yes, it may just finally be time (maybe--I'm not saying that anything will necessarily happen anytime soon). The same principle applied to the idea of adapting The Snow Queen into a Disney animated feature, which had been tossed about in the studio for decades. It finally happened when the decision was made to go with a different story (only loosely inspired rather than adapted), and it was one that enough people, including those in charge (namely John Lasseter these days), liked enough to green-light. If a movie tie-in is all that was needed for the go-ahead for a ride (and with every other factor falling into place as well), then that's what they have now, and it's a big one in terms of box office performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    We still don't have a Beauty and the Beast attraction.
    That should be priority one in terms of dark rides based on animated films.
    I agree in principle, at least. This movie is too significant to Disney (beyond my own fondness for it) to not have some kind of physical representation in Disneyland, in my view. Disneyland Paris and now the Magic Kingdom in WDW at least have something beyond characters in shows and parades. Well, DCA has a walk-through exhibit based on the movie in the Sorcerer's Workshop portion of the Animation Building, so at least there is something in Anaheim (I'm not that thrilled about it, though).

Quote Originally Posted by lasttuesday View Post
    Rumors said that the old Fantasyland Skyway Station was coming down in the first part of this year...that seems like it would create enough space if they didn't want the expense of filling in the motorboat lagoon.
    That's not a lot of space--not even enough for a small dark ride and its queue--unless they encroach into the Big Thunder Ranch area, which is a possibility. Accessing an attraction through this area would allow for it to be a part of Fantasyland without having to walk through a long tunnel like we have to with Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by lasttuesday View Post
    Also, is there any reason that the space just east of IASW can't be used (aside from parades)? What about where they have the Merida m&g?
    That space is the aforementioned Motor Boat Cruise area. The Monorail and what's left of the old ride will present some challenges, but there is nothing that can't be solved, I think. These two areas (this one and Big Thunder Ranch) would be great for a Beauty and the Beast ride and a Frozen ride (both large dark rides, even potentially E-ticket rides)--I wouldn't mind that. And for future Fantasyland expansion, they could always demolish Toontown.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast