Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Possible Frozen Ride?

While we're throwing around ideas for new rides, I'd like to put in for a classic, FL-style Cinderella darkride (talk about significant movie with no park representation), and Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride using the Peter Pan-style suspension system.

Alnog with Adventureland, FantasyLand is the most idea-rich, space-poor area of the park. Great idea about expanding it north into the Big Thunder space. My favorite idea is expanding east from Alice, taking over what is now the northern half of Autopia.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    I heard that Sleeping Beauty Castle will be re-themed to the castle in Arendelle, and that a scale model of Elsa's ice palace will be added to the Matterhorn. Somebody at WDI reportedly commented "For the first time in forever, these Disneyland icons will receive much-needed thematic upgrades. Wow, am I so ready for this change!" I swear that every word of this unsubstantiated rumor is true.
    Why are you Making certain words in your posts bold?

Frozen is the highest Disney grossing film behind the Lion King now. If youre gonna make a ride based off a movie now is the time. llol sorry I just love this movie.

• Not the Hawkguy

If you go by worldwide numbers, yes that's true.

Adjusted for inflation, though, and it has a long way to go.

• Minion

• Disneyland Dreamer

I must say, it was a hell of a movie. I can see why it cleaned up at the box office. Best Disney movie in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    While we're throwing around ideas for new rides, I'd like to put in for a classic, FL-style Cinderella darkride (talk about significant movie with no park representation),
    Well, at least Cinderella has a miniature castle (complete with pumpkin coach) in Storybook Land in Disneyland, as well as a couple of namesake castles in Magic Kingdom (WDW) and Tokyo Disneyland. It's not a dedicated ride, but it's a nice reminder in a ride (or rather two). Some animated features have it worse. For example, Bambi has been completely snubbed, as has Lady and the Tramp, I think. Those are some major ones, but I guess trying to represent even only the really classic/famous/popular ones would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    and Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride using the Peter Pan-style suspension system.
    I wish (great idea!), but if they didn't go for such a system and the brilliant conceptual design of the original ride that was based on The Little Mermaid, then I suppose they probably never will do something like that (but who knows--things always change).

Now that's some staying power! Counting the weekend totals, Frozen started at #2, went to #1, then #2, then #3 (it dropped in rank because of new releases), and then climbed back to #2 and is now #1--like the eternal winter hanging over much of the country, it just won't go away!

And to think that given the way the movie was advertised, I was concerned from early on. While there have been sporadic complaints and expressions of disappointment about the movie being completely different from what the teaser seemed to indicate (and the teaser was the only ad that many people saw), they've been drowned out by the positive response of audiences who got more than they expected.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Why are you Making certain words in your posts bold?
    The emphasis is to distinguish between movies or attractions (but not areas) and character names or ordinary words, sort of like how book titles are underlined (I do that, too). It's not always needed, but I've been doing it for years (since I was on Disney Usenet newsgroups) and continue to do so out of habit and to be consistent. Coincidentally, it also makes it easy to see which movies or attractions I'm talking about when a thread involves many. I hope it's not annoying or bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I must say, it was a hell of a movie. I can see why it cleaned up at the box office. Best Disney movie in 20 years.
    I would say that Frozen is the best in 22 years. Not the best in every way, as even Disney's last two major releases have somewhat "tighter" stories, but like Beauty and the Beast it really stands out, in my view anyway. But then again I'm weird because of the six animated features that have grossed more at this point (non-adjusted), I only like The Lion King (but consider it highly overrated nevertheless) and Toy Story 3 (but from that year I like Tangled a lot more)--the rest I don't care for at all (although Finding Nemo has its high points).
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 01-05-2014 at 07:27 PM.

• Artistic integrity

I love these topics - Every time there's a new film out - the new movie is accompanied with "ride" topic.

I shouldn't be too sarcastic ... if there was a Peoplemover Movie that came out - or a Adventure Thru Inner Space Movie ... I'll be the first one to post a topic about a ride based on those those movies with more enthusiasm than anyone could imagine!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Queen Elsa

They said it is only second place top Lion King. How much did Lion King made to be the top Disney movie and how much more does Frozen need to take to be the all time leader of Disney movies.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    They said it is only second place top Lion King. How much did Lion King made to be the top Disney movie and how much more does Frozen need to take to be the all time leader of Disney movies.
    It depends on what we're talking about.

If we're going by just grossed total, Lion King made $987.5 million worldwide, while Frozen currently sits at $639.9 million.

However, if we adjust those figures for inflation (using just domestic figures), Lion King made $698.9 million, while Frozen sits at $297.8 million domestically, sitting behind other Disney movies like Fantasia, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Bambi, and others.

The other figure you have to account for is multiple runs in theaters. Lion King has been re-released once (2011), and the money it grossed there are normally added to figures, so for example that $987.5 million I put up above does include those re-releases. If you're wondering, domestically non-inflated, the first run of Lion King grossed $312.9 million, with the non-IMAX re-release grossing in another $94.2 million.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post

If we're going by just grossed total, Lion King made $987.5 million worldwide, while Frozen currently sits at $639.9 million.

However, if we adjust those figures for inflation (using just domestic figures), Lion King made $698.9 million, while Frozen sits at $297.8 million domestically, sitting behind other Disney movies like Fantasia, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Bambi, and others.

The other figure you have to account for is multiple runs in theaters. Lion King has been re-released once (2011), and the money it grossed there are normally added to figures, so for example that $987.5 million I put up above does include those re-releases. If you're wondering, domestically non-inflated, the first run of Lion King grossed $312.9 million, with the non-IMAX re-release grossing in another $94.2 million.
    Well what they said on the news is it's only second behind the Lion King so I would have to say it has to be worldwide.

• Disneyland Dreamer

If they are still doing a frozen M&G in Feburary, my daughters are going to flip out. They sang and "froze" everything last night after we got home from the movie. I can think of a few really "cool" effects which could be incorporated into a ride, and the ice palace (in small scale) as a backdrop to Fantasy land could really work.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    The last thing the Norway pavilion needs to be is Princessland Epcot Edition. And as good a movie as Frozen was and for all the Norwegian culture showcased in the film's design, it's just something Disney made up when looking at a Danish fairy tale and got too caught up with the title character that doesn't get much screentime and chose to ignore the actual story which would have made for a good Disney road movie. The other fairy tales and characters meeting in World Showcase have some connection to their countries, even Aladdin and Morocco (which at first glance is basically "Meh, closest thing to the Middle East") makes more sense once you find that the Cave of Wonders is somewhere in North Africa in the original story, but Frozen's connection to Norway is a smidge hollow compared to the rest.
    Agreed. Yes, the NOrway pavilion needs to replace Maelstrom. And having an attraction based on a Norwegian fairy tale would be a nice replacement.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't want to see an attraction based on Disney's Frozen. That would take it out of the Norwegian realm and into Disney's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post

I really don't care for the use of grosses to provide a film's value. It should be based on the number of tickets sold. Even taking inflation into account, there can be no real comparison if it's based on the financial take.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast