Will MDE inevitably lead to two classes of tickets

A similar thread was on the WDW board, but that board is not nearly as frequently visited as this board. Is MDE and fast pass plus going to inevitably lead to two classes of tickets? A normal ticket that gives you 3-4 e-fast passes and a "premium" ticket that offers unlimited fast passes. Some have guessed that perhaps Disney will allow guests to purchase extra fast passes on an individual basis, but I think this would be hard to manage logistically. Whereas a premium ticket would be easier to manage, simply sell x percentage of estimated total attendance. I gotta assume that Disney is pretty darn good at estimated park attendance by now. Obviously the premium ticket would have static pricing and be pricier on busier days that would offer the most value. Six Flags does it, USH does it, even the two local amusement parks in the SF area do it. Ive always admired the fact that Disney hasn't done it...yet. I like the level playing, the idea that everyone is equal once they enter the park. Yes, some people are able to enjoy the more expensive dining options or buy more souvenirs that others can't, but these factors aren't as big of a deal to most people as line times are...especially on busy days.

That said, I can envision myself springing for the unlimited fast passes once my boys are old enough to take advantage of it if we were there during high season. But, I would rather Disney didn't do it... But they inevitable will... because people like me would buy them :-/ Yes, I realize I'm part of the problem.

Funny thing, when I did a search on micechat for fast pass+, a thread started back in 2010 popped up about a rumor that Disney was going to sell "unlimited fast pass" tickets at a $150 premium. Now, I doubt it will be that expensive, but MDE certainly seems like the first step in that direction.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Will MDE inevitably lead to two classes of tickets

They already have unlimited fastpasses... I could easily see them selling them piecemeal.

Once they move to fast pass+ and get rid of the current fast pass system, which it seems they are moving towards, one wouldn't have unlimited fast passes. And even now, you don't get unlimited fast passes...there are restrictions limiting when you can get them and for which rides/attractions. I'm wondering if it will eventually be like USH where if you pay more you can stand in a shorter line for most attractions? Your MDE wristband or card could just give you access to every fast pass line.

Not necessarily with FP, but yes, I can see this leading to a couple of tiers with some people getting a better shot at things. One of the things I see with MDE is that those of us like myself who hate planning ahead will wind up unable to get into things like restaurants. Disney World was already bad about that a few years ago on a visit I had. I found a place for lunch, but only with a wait, and only because I was solo. Even a small group would have been turned away.

And who says the day-trippers would have equal access to fastpasses?
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Under that tree again!

I think that the parks are a different beast it may be more likely in DLR. Give a perk to the resorts guests in DLR that they pay for as part of their room. Thus getting more from and giving more to a small contingent.

In WDW it's the opposite where onsite guests are there in sizable numbers so they would almost all have the perk.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Unlimited FastPasses would be a complete nightmare. I believe Universal and Six Flags are able to sell FP's or provide unlimited front of the line services because they do not receive nearly as many guests as Disney Parks do. With park admission already high, I don't think Disney would try to monetize by selling different classes of tickets that would lead to a crowd control nightmare. Disneyland also recently began to enforce strict 1 hour fastpass return windows so giving unlimited Fastpass access to guests that could show up at any time they wanted wouldn't make sense on their part. The fastpass system works great as it is, Disney please don't sell FP's!

• Hooterville, USA

If everyone paid for unlimited FastPasses, how's that any faster?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The doctor is in

I'm surprised FastPasses are still free, tbh.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Unlimited fast passes are indeed sold already. The price point is just so high that only the extremely well to do take advantage of it. Just look for the human unlimited fast passes walking around... they are wearing plaid and followed by groups of high-spenders.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Unlimited fast passes are indeed sold already. The price point is just so high that only the extremely well to do take advantage of it. Just look for the human unlimited fast passes walking around... they are wearing plaid and followed by groups of high-spenders.
    I assume you're talking about this:
    " While Fastpass and Fastpass+ are free to visitors, Disney also offers a paid solution to skip its lines, and it's much less complex. Simply hire one of its tour guides, and you'll have no-wait access to almost all attractions and shows in the parks. With Disney's VIP Tour Services, you can hire a guide who not only will get you into the attractions of your choice, he or she will offer expert insight to the resort, including its history and behind-the-scenes information about its operations, if you're interested. Prices start at $315 per hour for on-site hotel guests and $340 an hour for those not staying on-site. Prices are per guide, not per guest. Your tour group can include up to 10 people, but everyone has to have theme park admission tickets, which are not included in the tour guide price."

-Theme Park Insider

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    If everyone paid for unlimited FastPasses, how's that any faster?
    USH and Six Flags limit the no-wait tickets that they sell everyday assuring the no-wait lines are always relatively short and often times substantially shorter than the normal line.

Quote Originally Posted by DonadsMissingPants View Post
    Disney also recently began to enforce strict 1 hour fast pass return windows
    Could be the first move in a dramatic system change for fast pass. By enforcing the one hour windows they can create and manage a full daily schedule of fast passes and have a much better idea of when people will use their fast passes. The opportunities for up charges are endless! Want a PM RSR fast pass, that'll cost ya extra. Want a midday splash mountain fast pass, that'll cost ya extra.

I really really hope Disney doesn't nickel and dime their guests like this... But the possibilities are there and I can't help but think that that's the whole point of MDE and FP+. It's definitely a play by Disney to get the planners and occasional Amusement park travelers and a kick in the butt to AP holders and last minute travelers. At least that's my interpretation. Maybe Disney is finding that the once-every-year-or-two visitor is more valuable than AP holders and frequent guests?
    Last edited by Amahal420; 01-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Ala Cart Pricing for FP... Hmmm... If done right, I think it could work. So... you just walked up and want an immediate FP for Indy....$50/head....willing to wait an hour $30/head.... want it at closing time....$10/head.

They would have to drop general admission to make it work though, and this isn't much different than the ticketbooks of yore when they could meter how many rides you could ride without adjusting cost simply by altering the composition of the ticket books and what rides were in which class.

This is well beyond Disney's current technology though as they can't even get simple stuff right these days. I should start my own consulting firm and offer to do it for them.

Looks like paper fast passes at WDW are history. Is DLR next?

Say goodbye to paper Fastpass tickets at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

I must agree that, with the exception of RSR, the current system works just fine. Seems like an unnecessary and very costly change. A new WDW attraction (cars land?!?) would have been a better investment IMO, but hey, I'm no fortune 100 CEO.