Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

World of color gone

Has anybody else noticed that world of color has not be scheduled to perform from January 7-17 on the Disneyland calendar?

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: World of color gone

I assume it has to do with a planned bit of maintenance done while the show switches back to the original version.

And considering how the only entertainment options being run during this time are the non-holiday parade in DCA and Aladdin, it makes sense that they're just switching everything out.

Yeah, I'd imagine a show of this scale would take a lot to re-program, which is probably what they're doing, which probably fuels to the rumors of things being added to the original show.

I for one, hope the added Fun Wheel and Screamin' lights stay on for the regular show.

• Disneyland AP

I'm praying they bring back the opening night version. No Brave or Pirates 4 and Hunchback restored.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

They're probably just switching it back...
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

Regular WoC returns on the 17th so it seems like the downtime is just to switch things back.

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    I'm praying they bring back the opening night version. No Brave or Pirates 4 and Hunchback restored.
    On Steve Davison's facebook page, he said that the return of Hellfire is unlikely

They're probably doing fountain maintenance with all the corrosion and maybe some other items that need to be replaced or fixed. Programming is usually done at night or on computers so it shouldn't require actual downtime. The show is technically supposed to be able to switch between shows almost instantaneously so that they can even run different shows on the same night.

I'm very curious as how the original show will change after it returns. The thing i like about WoC: WD is that there aren't any real flat segments where its just a clip projected on water. (yes, like the marlin and dory sequence) Also I enjoy Olaf who seems to tie the whole thing together. I hope that WDI will go back and do some tune ups with the show like adding new effects/choreography and making the show flow a bit smoother (yes, the pirates segment)

They are indeed down for a bit and doing a bunch of much needed maintenance and upgrades while they switch back to the original show (with which content is unknown). Got to spend some time with the WOC team and they were ecstatic about the break as this is the first multi day continuous span for maintenance and refurbs that the show has had.

Part of the maintenance will be an upgrade of the projectors to 4K video playback and better image blending since the technology has evolved quite a bit since they were last installed.

It will be interesting to see if they incorporate the LED lights on Scremin and new moving lights behind the Mickey Wheel of Puke sun into the original segments. They certainly did not look like "temporary" installs!
    Last edited by ParkHopper1; 01-04-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    Part of the maintenance will be an upgrade of the projectors to 4K video playback and better image blending since the technology has evolved quite a bit since they were last installed.
    I thought that World of Color used 28 Christie Roadster S+ 20K projectors?

And I really hope the lighting on the screamin' structure and the moving lights on the fun wheel to make it into the original show.
    I actually appreciate the moving lights on the wheel more than the new lights on screamin. I feel that it makes the show seem a bit more immersive and I am mesmerized by them.
    Last edited by DonaldMissingPants; 01-05-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    I thought that World of Color used 28 Christie Roadster S+ 20K projectors?
    They are...the 4K refers to the resolution output (generic term for 4 times the resolution of Standard Def output). The S+20K's are SXGA resolution which is not even HD, let alone Ultra High Def 4k resolution.

...and for everyone else...it makes the video more purddy!

• Disneynerd Merprincess

I'm going in mid-February and had no idea WOC was going to be switching back to the original show! Beautiful as it is, I was excited to see WOC: Winter Dreams
    BK15:
    Disney BFF and Partner-In-Crime!

Walt Disney World: 1995, August 2009
    Disneyland: New Years 08/09, January 2010, September 2010, New Years 2011

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014
    ... with the Kristoff to my Anna!

Queen Elsa Is My Homegirl

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

This will be a general refurbishment, they can technically switch between shows in a moments notice. Playing Winter Dreams one show, and World of Color the next. They'll probably take this time to program all the new lighting into World of Color as well.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    They are indeed down for a bit and doing a bunch of much needed maintenance and upgrades while they switch back to the original show (with which content is unknown). Got to spend some time with the WOC team and they were ecstatic about the break as this is the first multi day continuous span for maintenance and refurbs that the show has had.

Maintenance is the reason for this long closer as stated above.

The secondary reason to change the show is merely incidental. They can reprogram and develop shows after hours as the have done in the past. There is no need to have the show closed for this.

Expect to find the platforms raised during the day as the work on the infrastructure.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

These are screenshots of Testing out on the lagoon at around 12:30 am on 01/06/13. Seems like Brave is still in the original show. Did not see any of the new effects but i may have missed them due to the constant panning of the Mattercam.

Name:  WoC Test1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  69.0 KBName:  WoC Test 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  78.6 KBName:  Woc Test 3.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  57.3 KBName:  Woc Test 4.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  77.5 KBName:  WoC Test 5.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  48.6 KB