MLK Weekend questions

I'll be visiting DLR with my wife over MLK weekend - specifically Friday Jan. 17 and Saturday Jan 18. I'm from the midwest and my last visit was way back in 2005. We've both been to WDW since then, but this will be her first trip to DLR. Can you MiceChatters help us make the best of it? Specifically I have five questions:

#1: Our tentative plan is to visit Disneyland on Friday and DCA on Saturday. Is this the right play? I know it will be a busy holiday weekend. Even though she's never been to DCA and I haven't seen Carsland, Disneyland is a bigger priority for us.

#2: What's the FastPass situation like these days? I read FastPass return times are now being enforced. Our priorities for Disneyland include Space, Indy, Pirates and Matterhorn (I know Big Thunder will be closed). Back in '05 I'd ride Space at rope drop, grab a FP then head over to Indy to do the same thing and then spend time on the west side. Still a good idea? For DCA - (like everyone) - Radiator Springs Racers and Soarin'. Any specific game plan there?

#3: Is the Carthay restaurant worth it? Better than Blue Bayou?

#4: I really want to hit the Disneyland Hotel tiki bar. Any specifics to know there?

#5: On a scale of 1-10, how stupid are we for heading to DLR on a holiday weekend? 1=geniuses, 10=literally the dumbest people in the world.

Thanks in advance for your expertise! We're excited.

- Carl

• Mistress of Evil

Re: MLK Weekend questions

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD1981 View Post
    I'll be visiting DLR with my wife over MLK weekend - specifically Friday Jan. 17 and Saturday Jan 18. I'm from the midwest and my last visit was way back in 2005. We've both been to WDW since then, but this will be her first trip to DLR. Can you MiceChatters help us make the best of it? Specifically I have five questions:

#1: Our tentative plan is to visit Disneyland on Friday and DCA on Saturday. Is this the right play? I know it will be a busy holiday weekend. Even though she's never been to DCA and I haven't seen Carsland, Disneyland is a bigger priority for us. I think this is a good plan...I always like to begin at the park that does not have EMH. Get there at rope drop if you can since the first few hours are a great time to get a lot done.

: What's the FastPass situation like these days? I read FastPass return times are now being enforced. Our priorities for Disneyland include Space, Indy, Pirates and Matterhorn (I know Big Thunder will be closed). Back in '05 I'd ride Space at rope drop, grab a FP then head over to Indy to do the same thing and then spend time on the west side. Still a good idea? For DCA - (like everyone) - Radiator Springs Racers and Soarin'. Any specific game plan there? Yes....return times are being enforced. I would ride SM, ST and head over to Indy. Either ride that if the stand by wait time is short, or pull a FP..do the other rides around there like POTC, HM. JC, etc. If the Matterhorn line is too long, go the Single Rider route.
    For DCA, my suggestion is to again, get there at opening. Head straight to TSMM and get that ride out of the way. FP'r for RSR will probably be gone within an hour and a half, so after TSMM, head over to the RSR FP line. The RSR FP is disconnected, so right after you get the FP for RSR, get one for Soarin. or ride Stand by if the line is short.

: Is the Carthay restaurant worth it? Better than Blue Bayou? I think so. We have had great meals and service there. If you are planning on Blue Bayou though, I would make the reservation ASAP.

: I really want to hit the Disneyland Hotel tiki bar. Any specifics to know there? Best to go early...it can get really crowded as the night goes on...especially on a holiday/marathon weekend.

: On a scale of 1-10, how stupid are we for heading to DLR on a holiday weekend? 1=geniuses, 10=literally the dumbest people in the world. Being at DLR is better than not...even on the busiest days...However, I would give you a 9. Not only is the holiday going on, but there is also a marathon at the resort over the weekend.

Thanks in advance for your expertise! We're excited.

- Carl
    Have fun!

FYI, it will probably be busier than the average holiday weekend. As mentioned above, the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and 10K will be taking place that weekend. The 10K on Saturday morning and the Half on Sunday. There will be probably more people in the park than usual.

That being said, I'll be there myself - running in the 10K and then going to the park. I did the same last year - expect the park to be VERY busy on the weekend.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Oh gosh we unknowingly went on this weekend years ago for a friends moms birthday. We had no clue why it was so crowded. We're talking Christmas type crowds. We went on 4 rides all day because the waits were just too much. I hope you don't encounter the same thing. Also going on the same weekend must have been a military weekend because there were a lot of military families there too. Don't know if that will be the case this time. Just have fun and take time to do the things you might not otherwise do!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!