Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disneyland AP

Question What would you do with HollywoodLand Backlot?

Since Monstropolis seems to be (thankfully) not happening, what would you do to actually enhance the old school feel of this part of the land?

• Minion

Re: What would you do with HollywoodLand Backlot?

Build a station for the PeopleMover in the corner of it, extend the track, and get the PeopleMover running again, with PeopleMovers transporting guests between Tomorrowland and Hollywood Land.

I did not mind the idea of monstropolis especially since it would have added a new coaster. The facade work would have blended if done similarly to the small photo op they did.

But if

it is not going to happen then I think that a family coaster would still be great using the muppet building and the millionaire building.

the next step would be to retrofit the stage facades so that it could be turned into a two story indoor outdoor restaurant. The second floor would have a few balcony seating spaces facing the main Hollywood blvd perfect for parade viewing as well as an open balcony facing north and east.

Stage 12 ( the huge building used for arcade). Would be gutted with its front wall removed. This huge building would now be the new stage area but indoors so that if necessary that corner of the park could be used for special events. It would also be the corner that would be used for the popular parties that they have now. The whole front concrete area would be turned into a lush area with trees and properly installed light rigging that is more permanent.

of course Monsters Inc would be updated a bit inside with more pleasurable animatronics and a faced that would match the buildings around it

• Disneyland AP

Baloo, I'm interested in how you feel Monsters works with the '30s hollywood theme?

• Disneyland History Lover

I would transform it into Mickey's Studios Backlot. Muppets and the old Millionaire building would get gutted and replaced with a family roller coaster in which Mickey is chased by Peg-Leg Pete. Monsters would become a new Mickey and Friends dark ride in which you explore scenes from his various cartoon shorts; complete with audio-animatronics. The space where the old diner counter service is would be changed into a new eatery and mini museum paying tribute to Mickey's history and creation at the hand of Walt. And the building that housed the old cafeteria and Flynn's Arcade would be demolished and rebuilt into a meet and greet for Mickey and the gang. As a result, Toontown in Disneyland could be done away with for development into Villain's Cove.

• Disney Dork

They should keep the muppets for a little while longer as the muppets are apart of disney history until they find something else. but they should get rid of the monsters inc ride. It doesn't belong in the new early 1900s theme they have at the park. I like the idea of Mickey family coaster. And maybe get new show for the Hyperion.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Anything that will get rid of the fake look of it all and adds much needed attractions... Anything. When I first visited DCA I actually thought they had copied the MGM studios, minus the attractions. They should definitely avoid that look and end all comparisons, now that DCA is a truly stunning park.

• Down Pluto!

I would put the "Ewok Village" there. It makes as much sense as putting it in Tomorrowland.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Disneyland AP

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I would transform it into Mickey's Studios Backlot. Muppets and the old Millionaire building would get gutted and replaced with a family roller coaster in which Mickey is chased by Peg-Leg Pete. Monsters would become a new Mickey and Friends dark ride in which you explore scenes from his various cartoon shorts; complete with audio-animatronics. The space where the old diner counter service is would be changed into a new eatery and mini museum paying tribute to Mickey's history and creation at the hand of Walt. And the building that housed the old cafeteria and Flynn's Arcade would be demolished and rebuilt into a meet and greet for Mickey and the gang. As a result, Toontown in Disneyland could be done away with for development into Villain's Cove.
    I was on board til you said get rid of Toontown. I could never handle them removing an entire land. hahaha

Hello Mice Chatters! I've been reading the forums for a long time but this is my first post. In my opinion turning the north part of Hollywood Land into Monstropolis is by far the best option, and that is exactly what should be done by TDA. I know that there are those who disagree, but here are my reasons:

1) The area where Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue!, Muppet Vision 3D, and the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire building are located feels completely separate from Hollywood Land already. That area has never felt like part of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot/Hollywood Land because of how it's situated and Monstropolis could easily just be a new land in DCA. The Millionaire building is no longer an attraction. And even though I love The Muppets, losing Muppet Vision 3D is fine with me because the show is only mediocre. Mostly due to being centered on Waldo C. Graphic, or as I like to call him: The most annoying character ever created in human history.

2) It's no longer Disney's California Adventure. They've removed the possessive after the remodel and I think that is very telling. It no longer reads as Disney presents a California themed adventure, but is now presented as both a Disney AND California adventure. Which is how the park has progressed since it's inception. All the rides they've added to DCA or re-themed since it opened aren't California themed at all, which leads me to my next reason...

3) DCA has become a very Pixar themed park, and it is a much much better park because of it. Disneyland was (and is) themed very heavily towards it's classic characters of the time when it opened. The list goes on and on, but here is just a quick rundown: Tinkerbell, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland etc. And many of it's attractions were based on popular Disney film and television: The Matterhorn came about because of Banner in the Sky and the influence of Fess Parker's Davy Crockett show can be felt all through Frontier Land. So DCA should be themed with the popular characters and movies from around the time of its inception, which is clearly the Pixar films. DCA opened with exactly ONE Disney themed ride: King Triton's Carousel. It's unbelievable that they would be that shortsighted about what children would want in a park.

4) Disneyland was built because Walt Disney felt there should be a place where both adults and children could spend a day together and BOTH have a wonderful time. If you look at a DCA park map from when it first opened there was not a whole lot for children to do. And the lack of attendance made that painfully clear. A Monstropolis Land in DCA would make children very happy because they absolutely LOVE Monsters Inc.
    And Cars, and Toy Story, and A Bug's Life. Which is why those films are now really well represented in the park.

Monstropolis would be a great addition to Disney California Adventure.
    Last edited by Disney Adventure; 01-07-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Wording fix

• Disneyland AP

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    1) The area where Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue!, Muppet Vision 3D, and the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire building are located feels completely separate from Hollywood Land already. That area has never felt like part of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot/Hollywood Land because of how it's situated and Monstropolis could easily just be a new land in DCA. The Millionaire building is no longer an attraction. And even though I love The Muppets, losing Muppet Vision 3D is fine with me because the show is only mediocre. Mostly due to being centered on Waldo C. Graphic, or as I like to call him: The most annoying character ever created in human history.

2) It's no longer Disney's California Adventure. They've removed the possessive after the remodel and I think that is very telling. It no longer reads as Disney presents a California themed adventure, but is now presented as both a Disney AND California adventure. Which is how the park has progressed since it's inception. All the rides they've added to DCA or re-themed since it opened aren't California themed at all, which leads me to my next reason...

1.Several Disney lands are segmented like this. It's no more separated than New Orleans, or Fronstierland. You take out the backlot and there's practically nothing in Hollywoodland other than the Tower and the Hyperion.

2. I believe the name change represents California through their eyes. Also, ALL of the new attractions fall into the Cali theme. Paradise Pier's remodel and Little Mermaid use the oceanic myths that a part of California old school pier/fair grounds. CarsLand is Route 66. Buena Vista St is old Los Angeles, and begin's the parks story of Walt's journey to the golden state.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    ALL of the new attractions fall into the Cali theme. Paradise Pier's remodel and Little Mermaid use the oceanic myths that a part of California old school pier/fair grounds. CarsLand is Route 66. Buena Vista St is old Los Angeles, and begin's the parks story of Walt's journey to the golden state.
    Some of that is REALLY stretching things - the centerpiece of Paradise Pier is a ride that has only ever existed at Coney Island and a park in Japan, the rockwork of Carsland can't be found in CA but does exist on the AZ/NM stretches of 66, LM's about as linked to California as Snow White (we have forests too). Bug's Land falls in there as well - we have bugs in CA. But so does nearly anywhere else on the planet.

The "California" theme for DCA has been slippery from Day One, and time hasn't linked it any more closely outside of BVS. There's a core area surrounding LM that is closer than most anywhere else and has been since opening, but shooting down rides based on relation to CA theme ignores the actual, on the ground operation of the park for the last several years.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Not the Hawkguy

Good first post right there.

Anyway, I'd get pretty drastic with my changes. And unfortunately, it also involves changes to Disneyland proper.

See, I'd bring two new rides in to Hollywood Land, renamed Disney Hollywood Studios. One would take the spot of the Muppetvision 3D and WWTBAM buildings: a large Great Muppet Movie Ride. The other would take out the old Hollywood and Dine building, which would then host the relocated Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. The Monsters Inc Ride would still remain, but all 3 rides would get new facades that are more reflective on their rides: monstrous building fronts for Monsters Inc, the curvy, toonish style for Roger Rabbit, and a Grauman's Chinese Theater facade for the Muppet Movie Ride, albeit Muppet-fied (think Gonzo's plane having crashed into the building). Mad T Party moves out of this area to open the area up, and the redo includes a redesign of the Hyperion Theater to actually look like a theater rather than a giant warehouse (redesign includes building a grand entranceway).

Now, moving Roger Rabbit over to DCA in essence kills ToonTown, but that area has other issues beyond that, so I'd rather rip the whole area out and retheme it as an expansion of Fantasyland, allowing for new dark rides to be built (like a Beauty and the Beast ride MAKE THIS NOW) while allowing them to try and solve the issues of having to shut the area down early for fireworks.

The other issue with my plans is the Mad T Party, which is fairly popular and brings in a good amount of local APers. Honestly, I don't know what to do with this, because there isn't much space left. The best idea I could come up with would be to level out that weird center space in the land that currently houses the Hollywood Backlot Stage and Scmoozies. Turn that into a multi-story "club", with the band performing on the top level, while other performances occur on stage at the ground level (thus also leaving a stage available for day performances by bands and stuff.

• Minion

-Great Movie Ride with different movies than the DHS version
    -Update Muppet Vision 3D to have multiple films that are randomized (like ST 2.0)
    - Update TOT with random drop sequences
    - Replace Aladdin with Frozen musical

• Disneyland AP

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Some of that is REALLY stretching things - the centerpiece of Paradise Pier is a ride that has only ever existed at Coney Island and a park in Japan, the rockwork of Carsland can't be found in CA but does exist on the AZ/NM stretches of 66, LM's about as linked to California as Snow White (we have forests too). Bug's Land falls in there as well - we have bugs in CA. But so does nearly anywhere else on the planet.

The "California" theme for DCA has been slippery from Day One, and time hasn't linked it any more closely outside of BVS. There's a core area surrounding LM that is closer than most anywhere else and has been since opening, but shooting down rides based on relation to CA theme ignores the actual, on the ground operation of the park for the last several years.
    I get what you're saying, but despite how well executed, if the idea is to represent California, that still sticks to the theme of the park. It certainly doesn't justify Monsters Ink gaining a larger presence, or having one there to begin with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast