Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Seed and Mulch

Re: West Hollywood is perhaps a bad choice?

Why don't you try and find a place to stay within walking distance of Union Station (so you have easier access to mass transportation for everywhere else you want to go)?

• Former Churro Jockey

It's a terrible choice, but if that's what you can afford, then that's what you can afford. I'd rather find a way to go to Disneyland then not. But if you can stay closer then do so, because with traffic it may well take you between 1- 2 hrs to get there, and if you pay for a taxi, then that would certainly be more expensive then just staying near the park in a cheap motel.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

It's not quick, but it's easy to get from West Hollywood to Disneyland for cheap with one bus transfer.

You take the Metro Local 2 (Sunset Blvd) or 4 (Santa Monica Blvd.) to downtown. This ride is $1.50, and the busses run 24 hours a day at very high frequency. The ride will be 30-45 minutes depending where you are in WeHo.

You transfer in downtown to the Disneyland Local 460. This bus runs less frequently (about every 30 minutes) and runs from around ~4am to ~1am. It cost around $3 or so. The thing that sucks is that it is a local bus running from Downtown to Disneyland, so the trip takes around 90 minutes.

These three particular routes I would not feel unsafe riding, unlike some other LA bus lines. They don't go through any of the dangerous neighborhoods.

But regardless, without a rental car you should really try to stay in downtown or Hollywood near a train station. There are cheap hostels in both areas - check out Hotel Cecil in downtown and Banana Bungalow in Hollywood.

Factor in the quality of your limited time here. It's worth it to try and come up with more funds and get a better experience. Travelling public transport to Anaheim from West Hollywood will quite probably result in a pretty awful day overall. With all that travel time (if nothing goes wrong!) you will likely be exhausted.

Decide what you REALLY want to do, focus on that. If DCA is a casual thought (and not a MUST DO), then as mentioned Universal is WAAAY closer to West Hollywood and won't wipe you out. If DCA (or DLand) is your main focus, find a cheap hotel there and enjoy the resort for the 2 days.

My car died one time and I had to take public transport to Hollywood and back for a meeting. Car time was usually 40 mins each way. Public transport was 7 hours total.

Believe me, it sucked.

Focus on what you really want, and if you are certain it really is ALL that you mentioned in your question IE, DCA AND West Side beaches AND wanting to stay in West Hollywood, then come up with the funds to rent a car. Believe me it will be worth it and make the WORLD of difference. The car rental will make your West Side / Beaches day waaaaay more enjoyable also. Honestly, a car rental will MAKE your trip totally enjoyable and give you the freedom you need if you want to do all that you mentioned. It's not an option but an essential part of your stay.

• Artistic integrity

Since the original poster is from Australia ... one thing we forgot to consider .. would be if they might be rental-car shy - Since they drive on the left, and cars are right-hand drive ... doing the reverse can be unnerving. Especially if for the first time. Took me several months to get use to driving on the left, with right-hand drive vehicles .. stick shift (previously Automatics, all my life) and dealing with round-a-bouts. Oi. At least in So Cal we don't have round-a-bouts to deal with, with the exception of one or two I know in OC and LA County. Streets are more straight, and wider than Australian streets.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Since the original poster is from Australia ... one thing we forgot to consider .. would be if they might be rental-car shy - Since they drive on the left, and cars are right-hand drive ... doing the reverse can be unnerving. Especially if for the first time. Took me several months to get use to driving on the left, with right-hand drive vehicles .. stick shift (previously Automatics, all my life) and dealing with round-a-bouts. Oi. At least in So Cal we don't have round-a-bouts to deal with, with the exception of one or two I know in OC and LA County. Streets are more straight, and wider than Australian streets.
    If Australians should not drive in LA due to not knowing how to drive on the right side, this lack of knowledge would apply to navigating the roads and using the public transportation system.

L.A. is quite the maze since it is so large. West Hollywood is the worse place to base a vacation since it is so far from the well-known attractions.

Another thing to consider is the lack of time for the vacation. If time is an issue, then going to Disneyland for a day just doesn't make sense. You just don't have the time to travel the distance and get back to the hotel. In fact, why bother going back at all to West Hollywood. Just pack up, leave on a shuttle bus to Disneyland in the morning. Stop by Disneyland Hotel and ask them to hold your luggage. Go to DCA until 4pm or check-in time at Disneyland Hotel. After check-in, return to DCA or Disneyland for the evening. Enjoy your room until check-out or stay another night. Then return directly to LAX.

• Splash On In

West Hollywood doesn't have much going on during the day, it's more of a night spot with the bars and clubs up on Sunset or down on Santa Monica Blvd in Boystown.

I would advise you look for a new place to stay in Hollywood, closer to one of the Metro Stations along Hollywood Blvd at either Highland or Vine. At least then you would have easy access to the train system. That particular line will take you straight to Union Station.

There's also much more to fill out your day in that area that's within walking distance. Start with a morning hike up Runyon Canyon where you'll get sweeping views of the city and Hollywood sign, stroll the Hollywood Walk of Fame, see the hand/foot prints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Most of the tour companies others have mentioned operate around this area as well.

As far as Venice goes, consider that Hollywood is not terribly close and it will take you at least 60 mins by bus to get there. The coastline can take up a full day in itself. I recently had a buddy in town, we rented bikes and rode nearly the entire length of costal bike trail over the course of the day.

Two nights is tough. My buddy was here for seven full days, we saw A LOT but still not everything he had wanted to see and that was with the advantage of a car. I would seriously consider extending your trip a day or two if at all possible. Especially if you want to throw Disneyland into the mix.

Using Metrolink from Union Station to get to Anaheim is workable but that will take about 2 hours, all in, from Hollywood to the Main Gate one way. Also, the Metrolink service is extremely limited. I believe the last train inbound is about 7 or 8p on weekdays and even earlier on weekends.

If you have any more question, feel free to drop me a message. Good luck!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Go to DCA until 4pm or check-in time at Disneyland Hotel. After check-in, return to DCA or Disneyland for the evening. Enjoy your room until check-out or stay another night.
    That sounds all fine and dandy till you find out what Disney charges for a room in one of their hotels.

I have a feeling, that's not something the original poster wants to do. lol

The option they found for a shuttle for 60 dollars sounds to be their best bet. Though ... they'll miss out on evening things.

If only they found a hostel closer to a major transportation hub ... that would alter the game plan for the better.

I have to ask - If it comes down to 100 dollars for a cab .. .vs. this 60 dollar shuttle ... for 80 dollars more (40 x 2 - both directions) ... then they get to stay beyond 6pm .. and see some evening entertainment.

Surely .. doing a SoCal vacation on a very tight budget is no fun. It just goes to show - It comes down to 3 options for anyone coming to visit SoCal - 1. Have your hotel close to the places you want to go 2. Rent a car. 3. Use cabs.

I just wonder what the cheapest rental-car places charge these days. IF that were an option. Thrifty Rental car? perhaps.

But I seem to be yacking for new reason. They seem to have found their means - This 60 dollar shuttle.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-09-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Also remember that the earlier you are in the park the better. Getting there around opening time makes a HUGE difference to the quality of your day especially if a weekend. I wouldn't wanna head out at like 4 am to make it across town in time for opening. Staying in Anaheim even at the cheapest hotel will be way better IF DCA / DLand is the priority. Australians would PREFER roundabouts btw! But yeah other-side driving can be a put-off. Staying in W.Hollywood for DCA though, and another day west side and beaches? No choice, drive it is, rent the car.

• :)

you should stay in Hollywood (off Hollywood Blvd) this is more central to the things you're interested in seeing, it's also a straight shot up the 5 freeway to disneyland and will make your trip easier probably, aside from the commute from LAX to your hotel

I used to work in Hollywood and Disneylan

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    See Universal Hollywood. It is in the area and you'll have a great time. There is much to see in Hollywood.
    I am assuming that there's something special you wish to enjoy in West Hollywood for you to make that an important stop.

I lived in SoCal most of my life and I agree with StevenW -- don't try to go farther afield than Universal and you'll have a great time, especially on a tight budget with limited time.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    It's not quick, but it's easy to get from West Hollywood to Disneyland for cheap with one bus transfer.

You take the Metro Local 2 (Sunset Blvd) or 4 (Santa Monica Blvd.) to downtown. This ride is $1.50, and the busses run 24 hours a day at very high frequency. The ride will be 30-45 minutes depending where you are in WeHo.

You transfer in downtown to the Disneyland Local 460. This bus runs less frequently (about every 30 minutes) and runs from around ~4am to ~1am. It cost around $3 or so. The thing that sucks is that it is a local bus running from Downtown to Disneyland, so the trip takes around 90 minutes.

These three particular routes I would not feel unsafe riding, unlike some other LA bus lines. They don't go through any of the dangerous neighborhoods.
    I found this information very useful regarding my interest in retiring to the Disneyland vicinity and giving up my car. I shall investigate the route of the Disneyland Local 460. I remember taking it in my youth...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12