Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

West Hollywood is perhaps a bad choice?

Soooo....my friend and I planned to stay at a hostel in West Hollywood. We are only in LA for two nights (Saturday 1st of Feb-Monday 3rd Feb).

We want to see Venice Beach/Pier and Melrose Drive etc but we also want to spend one day (the Sunday) at California Adventure Park.

is there a hostel that is in a better location that will allow us to see both the LA sights as well as California Adventure Park without having to travel hours and hours on public transport?

Sorry but I am MAJOR stressed and potentially will have to cancel day at California Adventure due to funds!
    Can't wait for December 2012 when I FINALLY get back to Disneyland Resort! My first trip in over 7 years

Re: West Hollywood is perhaps a bad choice?

I stayed in west Hollywood once, we actually live an hour or so away and decided to go see LA a little bit. We ended up booking a city tour which was really fun and took us to a lot of places around LA, Chinese theater, Hollywood bowl, downtown, tat pits, etc. it didn't go to the beach but I am sure you could maybe find one that did. I liked it because even though I am basically local they share a lot of interesting facts about the city and different things I never knew about. It really is a great way too see the city and have a ride all in one. Plus they usually will provide a free shuttle pickup to your hotel if it's close enough.

If funds are an issue for transportation I'd pick one place to stay that's walking distance of at least one day of activity. So instead of bussing around both days you'll only need to for one day. Given the choice of Anaheim or LA I'd say it's a coin toss but there's probably more to walk around and see in LA than Anaheim. But if you stay at Anaheim you could ideally wake up and go straight to disneyland rather than trying to spend however much time riding the train over.

I'm sure you'll find better answers than mine, even though I live out here I don't visit LA too often and rarely use the public transportation as we have our own vehicle.

Either way have fun!!

Thanks very much for the tips!
    Can't wait for December 2012 when I FINALLY get back to Disneyland Resort! My first trip in over 7 years

I'm just gonna throw an idea out there...

As I was reading this post, I was thinking to myself; "if I lived in LA, I'd offer to pick this fellow up, and give him (and his friend) a ride to Disneyland..."

Since I live in Canada, I can't offer you a lift. However, perhaps some kind Californian (on this website) might be willing to pick you guys up in the morning, and give you a drive to the park?

I realize that West Hollywood isn't exactly in the neighbourhood of Disneyland, and would be an hour drive (each way), for someone to take you... but maybe someone is going that way, anyways?

You might be on your own, with regards to getting back to Hollywood at the end of the day, but at least you'd get to the park early, and spend the day there.

Any takers? Anyone in the West Hollywood area, that might be willing to give these guys a lift?

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 01-07-2014 at 07:43 AM.

unfortunately I don't live in LA, or Id offer.

But if you haven't visited LA or Disneyland (kind of seems you haven't). The two are not close. Its about 30-40 miles apart, are theres not much in between except suburban areas. So even if you stayed half way in between, its still a trip to either one. LA is a place ruled by cars, so really to do anything youll need a car, or take the cheap route and use the bus - which takes much more time.

On top of that, there is not much by ways of Hostels in Anaheim.

Even in West Hollywood you will need a mode of transportation to get to Venice Beach/Santa Monica Pier.

• Banned User

Bad location to base a trip to Disneyland. Sorry, you're on your own.

You do know you can't give rides to strangers. This is more true in L.A.

West Hollywood is more than an hour drive to Disneyland. If I had to do this, I'll waste 3 to 4 hours of my time.

I recommend you rent a rental car for the day. A taxi or shuttle will easily exceed the cost of sharing a rental car. Actually, you should get a rental car for your entire trip. It isn't that expensive.

The trains are better from downtown LA to Anaheim. LA-Anaheim-Disneyland isn't too bad, but then getting to the west side can be a challenge. I think there are buses that run down the major streets, which are probably your best bet. At Union Station, you can get maps of the bus routes (though they're kind of complicated). You can get to I think Western Ave and Wilshire Blvd on the purple line subway, but from there you will need a bus to get further west.

Take a look at bus routes and maps online, see what it looks like for what you want to do.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Being that deep in LA will hinder you coming down to Orange County a bit. It's possible to take a taxi, but that is going to be stupid expensive. Your best bet might be trying to find a shuttle bus that takes you to and from Disneyland. I know many of the airports in the area have these. It might be worth looking into. If that's not an option, I am almost positive the Metrolink that leaves from Union Station in LA comes down to Orange County (Fullerton area - not too far from Disneyland).

As far as things to do in that area of Los Angeles, even though some might call them a "tourist trap" try to jump on one of those tours that takes you through Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I know TMZ does one, and there are 1,000 other companies that do it as well. That's a quick way to cover a lot of ground and see some of interesting and more popular things that the city has to offer. Otherwise, you might not be able to see nearly as much being that you'll only be around for one day.

Good luck!

• Banned User

If a shuttle bus is your only option, look into tours that pick you up at major hotels or maybe your hostel. L.A. isn't tourist friendly. It is a tough place to figure out where things are. The commuter traffic is awful, which is why you should stay near Disneyland for a multi-day trip instead of trying to do a day trip.

I don't recommend the public transportation. You can find yourself lost or taking much longer than you'll expect (try 4 hours). You can end up stranded if you're unable to get back home in the evening as everything seems to slow down at night.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    Any takers? Anyone in the West Hollywood area, that might be willing to give these guys a lift?
    You expect someone to just pick up a car full of total strangers and trust that their intentions are honest based on an anonymous internet post? In this day and age, I think I'll pass.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Rock Star Minion

I certainly wouldn't try to see too many things so far apart from each other (Venice Beach, Disneyland) in the L.A. area in such a short time without a car.

The hostel is in West Hollywood, so enjoy the surroundings of West Hollywood.

As I wrote in the other post, Disneyland is about 90 minutes away each way. It is an all-day adventure, and it will cost about $100 each to enter the parks. Food's not cheap, either.

If you want to know about some freebies, I'm sure folks will chime in. Griffith Observatory, Getty Museum, etc.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

See Universal Hollywood. It is in the area and you'll have a great time. There is much to see in Hollywood.

The Anaheim train station is close to Disneyland and there are buses you can take that come by pretty often. Easy to use. Closer than Fullerton, if I remember.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Artistic integrity

So much here has already been covered in the other topic created.

I empathize ... you do have a bit of a conundrum.

You want to visit Southern California on a small budget, place yourself as strategically as possible within a mass city stretching 70+ miles across, and hope for the best on cheap AND efficient means on getting around in a place that's all about cars, freeways, more cars, and more freeways.

You got to make up your mind what you want to do - Do you want to spend a little more money to get around this vast region more conveniently, and not let it eat up too much of your time - You did say you have limited amounts of time.

Or do you try the bus/train method ... which will be less $ .. but take a lot longer?

Sorry. I know those are not good options. But this is what you have to deal with, in a region that is struggling to get proper light rail systems in ... that should have been in place decades ago!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Rock Star Minion

You should also check with some tour companies that take groups to Disneyland from various touristy places (like Hollywood).

Like this one:
    Los Angeles And Hollywood Tour - Disneyland Shuttle Only

That does not include entry to parks.

Or this one, which does include entry:
    http://www.alllosangelestours.com/bo...ge=TourDetails
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast