View Poll Results: Which FANTASMIC! is better?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walt Disney World

6 10.17%
  • Disneyland

53 89.83%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: FANTASMIC!... DLR vs WDW?

When we saw the WDW version of Fantasmic, I didn't know about the Pocahontas scene beforehand. We were there for 4 days and attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and my middle daughter was Pocahontas that year. She was obsessed and watched the movie every day for a few months around that time. The only part of it she liked was seeing Pocahontas on top of the mountain at the end and that was too far away for her to really see until it was mostly over. I just didn't like that part. I'm more partial to WDW as that's what I grew up on but I had seen F! at Disneyland a couple of times before ever seeing it at WDW... so that could be why. Most people tend to enjoy the one they experience first.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well personally I like how during the day at Disneyland, you can walk on the island, you see the island... and all of a sudden in the middle of night, it transforms before your eyes!! The place you were before has changed!! I think that's what makes it so cool! Also, I prefer the intimicy of standing or sitting and watching, then a giant stadium... The environment is so much better at disneyland and it's all together a much better show

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion FOREVER!

Seen both several times over the years. (Of course, seen DL's more). But for
    all of the above (Columbia/MT, was a walkway & TSI, intimacy) and the fact that
    in MGM has a lousy backdrop (you can actually see the other parks and the parking lot) whereas in DL it's pretty much just the trees in TSI makes this a slam dunk
    decision for me: DL by a wide margin.

• Former Epcot CM

You can see the parks and the parking lot? Jeez I would love your eyesight. Most superheroes would too.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Repeat post.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• The answer is 42

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    Definitely Disneyland. Main reasons....use of both boats in the show!! The Peter Pan part is the best part. And then all the characters on the Mark Twain! It makes for a bigger and better production rather than a little tug boat coming out with a few characters on it.
    My sentiments exactly. Even my hubby, who isn't the Disney fan that I am, agrees that it's not the same without the Columbia & the Mark Twain. There's something more magical about the DL version as well, for all of the reasons previously mentioned...you're walking around and all is normal, then magically there's an amazing show where you were walking just a few hours earlier.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

The Disneyland one gets my vote. I finally saw the WDW version in December, and I left underwhelmed. I knew it was different, but I still wondered what Perhaps my view of the DL version is skewed since I haven't seen it in close to 10 years.

I will be visiting DLR in October, so hopefully I can catch it again while there. And so my wife can finally see it. It seems we keep going to DLR when it was not showing. Usually something was being refurbed.

I vote for the DL version for all the reasons above. I think the organic environment is key, and Peter Pan is a definite highlight.

Slightly off topic, but what's going on with the Peter Pan scene? I have seen the show twice in January (about three weeks apart), and the stunts were reduced or eliminated both nights. No sword fight in the rigging. No Hook swinging over the back of ship ("Save me Smee...")

Has anyone else seen this? Are they short stunt actors? Did they just get sick the two nights I went?

• white and nerdy

I always seem to be the one who goes against what everyone else seems to like.

I like Disney World's Version Better than Disneyland. But Disneyland is good too.

Reasons I like Disney Worlds version better:
    1. THE SEATING! you can sit on freakin cobble stones for up to three hours, wedged in between a large family trying to eat soup in bread and a large pile of strollers to get a view of the person in front of yours head, OR, sit in a nice amphitheater (in my eight months there, there was twice when you couldn't get a seat up to five minutes before the show) where they have drinks and food and souvenirs available, playing music, cast members entertaining the crowd before hand....
    2. crowd control. The entire park is not clogged up between shows. You can actually walk around with little to no traffic.
    3. No obstructed seating.
    4. The 'Steamboat Willy' boat. I know lots of you don't like it, but I do. It may look rinky-dink, but so did the boat from the cartoon. and the characters on board are more readily viewable.
    5. The inclusion of more villains... especially Jaffar as a snake...
    6. larger stage for mickey to magically appear at the top off.
    7. Stage was built to specifically for the show, not the other way around.
    8. The way the stage is set up against the background is fantastic. It looks like an abandoned island where the show takes place, rather than a southern Mark Twain island....
    9. No very strange pink elephant segment. Come on, you wanna talk about not making sense?
    10. Either the dragon is much bigger, or it appears larger due it's reference to the rest of the stage.

And to be fair, some things in the Disneyland show that I think is better.

1. Yes, Captain Hook's ship is a better sequence.

Frankly, I can't stand sitting on the ground for a couple hours for the pirate ship.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to, "You idiot" me about this, but it's just what I think.

REMEMBER PEOPLE: "Better" is a relative term.

I think it's funny that people who are liberal and progressive when it comes to politics are forcefully conservative and close minded when it comes to theme park attractions, but whatever.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

^ actually that TSI stage was built just for disneylands fantasmic aswell...

also there dragon is not bigger..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    ^ actually that TSI stage was built just for disneylands fantasmic as well...

also there dragon is not bigger..
    1. The stage is, but not the entire island. The entire island at WDW is the stage

2. I suppose it just seems bigger. The high point on the stage at WDW is the tip of a mountain as opposed to... a house?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

I prefer the whole atmosphere and vibe when it's on TSI, adds a whole lot to the expereince, now all we beed is an actual seating area so everybody doesn't have to struggle in order to find a standing spot.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    1. THE SEATING! you can sit on freakin cobble stones for up to three hours, wedged in between a large family trying to eat soup in bread and a large pile of strollers to get a view of the person in front of yours head, OR, sit in a nice amphitheater (in my eight months there, there was twice when you couldn't get a seat up to five minutes before the show) where they have drinks and food and souvenirs available, playing music, cast members entertaining the crowd before hand....
    ...Frankly, I can't stand sitting on the ground for a couple hours for the pirate ship.
    A couple counterpoints to these points...

(1) Waiting is reduced or eliminated by seeing the second (or third) DL show. You only wait endlessly for the first show.

(2) I think the food options in NOS beat the food options in the WDW Fantasmic Stadium.

(3) As far as I remember, the music playing in Florida is piped in, recorded dance(house)-style Disney songs. The live music from the jazz musicians on the TS rafts is infinitely better, in my opinion. It builds on the class and immersiveness of the New Orleans/river environment, instead of the generic stadium/Disney store type environment...

• The Fantasyland guy

I saw the WDW show first. loved it.

went to disneyland later and thought to my self "why see this again... i've already seen it." Got dragged to the show by a bunch of friends and fell in love with DLR's version.

I am not biased to DL, now that I live here I go there more often but I still miss florida extreemly.

DLR's show is better because it feels special. I don't feel like I am waiting for a show, I feel like I am waiting with a crowd for somthing magical. I will never go to F! in MGM again.

Smile Re: FANTASMIC!... DLR vs WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    I will never go to F! in MGM again.
    I wouldn't go that far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast