Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

Call me crazy, but I would happily sacrifice Paradise Park's "usefulness" as a park during the day and just have the area set up with tiered seating. I know the appearance of "fold-down" chairs all along those terraces might look silly during the day, but it beats the current system. I live quite a ways from the resort, so when I visit, it's a big deal and I usually make a point to bring along a first timer who's never been. In that case, I worry all day long on our "World of Color" day about trying to find a reasonable spot, not standing behind someone tall, not getting boxed out of our spot by an aggressive neighbor with five kids, etc.

To me, having theatre-style seating (with the Fastpasses either having exact seat numbers - Blue Section, Row D, seat 5 - or just color sections in general) would be worth the loss of the "park" during the day. Anyone else agree?
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

I had a similar experience. Did the Ariel's Grotto dining package. While the other servers in the restaurant seemed really peppy and gave their tables directions to the viewing area, our server seemed like she was just going through the motions and just handed us the passes. The first guest control CM I asked had no idea where to go and got another CM. She asked where I dined and I said Ariel's Grotto. She said that Ariel's Grotto no longer offers dining packages so I showed her my tickets with Ariel's Grotto printed on them. She looked confused and sent me to the CM standing outside the special assistance seating area. That CM told us to stand in front of The Ariel attraction. Seeing no one else standing there, I asked another CM standing a few feet away from the first CM. He told us to go towards the Golden Zephyr. Over in that direction we ask another CM who tells us to go back the direction we just came from. When I explain that they just sent us here, another CM overhears and tells his coworker that they just changed the set up. We are directed a bit closer to the Zephyr and that was the right place to be.

I understand why they have to do the FastPasses (I hate how people camp out for Fantasmic), but I'm disappointed that they keep changing things around, especially for something like the dining package which they are charging extra for. What ever happened to the original plan of having colored flags and lights to help direct people into the correct section? That being said, I think they do a good job with guest control once the show starts. Getting from Goofy's Sky School to Grizzly has never been a problem for me.

Technically, the color coding is still there. The streetlamps are blue in the blue section and yellow in the yellow section. I never saw flags though. But it should be at least easier to find the color-coded FP sections. It's the "preferred" areas people pay for with the dining packages that are impossible to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    Call me crazy, but I would happily sacrifice Paradise Park's "usefulness" as a park during the day and just have the area set up with tiered seating. I know the appearance of "fold-down" chairs all along those terraces might look silly during the day, but it beats the current system. I live quite a ways from the resort, so when I visit, it's a big deal and I usually make a point to bring along a first timer who's never been. In that case, I worry all day long on our "World of Color" day about trying to find a reasonable spot, not standing behind someone tall, not getting boxed out of our spot by an aggressive neighbor with five kids, etc.

To me, having theatre-style seating (with the Fastpasses either having exact seat numbers - Blue Section, Row D, seat 5 - or just color sections in general) would be worth the loss of the "park" during the day. Anyone else agree?
    Sadly, I feel like that'd be worse. Whenever I go to a ticketed event, it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know how to find seats--and that's the people that WORK there. I mean, I read my tickets, read the signs and find seats. I don't know what the problem is. But most people seem like idiots as soon as you hand them assigned seats.

I'm just flabbergasted this is such an issue. This should be smooth sailing at this point.

• The doctor is in

The way that I see it... I have watched WoC on YouTube and that's good enough for me. That seems to be the only way you can see and hear the entire show.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

So, does anyone know how to get into the area with the park benches? I'm going in February and have a one year old and three year old I would rather not have to hold up the entire time. I'm not opposed to buying a dinning package, but would prefer to sit and not worry about taller people in front of my children. Hubby is over 6 feet tall, so he sees everything, last time we went we bought the picnic and ended up in the last section, against the railing, but not a good view for someone under 6".

When I went to see WoC two weeks ago, the problem was all the strollers in the viewing area. We got to our spot 70 minutes before the show started and were sitting on the ground. A CM told everything had to stand up so they could make more room for people. I pointed out that if they took out the strollers, there were at least a dozen in view and over half were not being used, the kids were sitting on the ground too, then they could fit more people. I continued to sit until about 15 minutes before the show when more CMs came by and were now basically pushing people under the ropes and forcing them into an area. There would SO MUCH more room if people would take the darn strollers out.

So, does anyone know how to get into the area with the park benches?

Benches are reserved for parties requiring accessibility. It's all SRO if you're not disabled.

• Ready for takeoff

I have seen WoC four times. The first two was through FP seating, which was not a pleasant experience. The last two, we were in one of the roped-off sections. Figuring out where to go was easy once we spotted the plaid with a clipboard. There was plenty of room in that section. It was our group of 15 plus five or six other people we did not know.

• Party Planning King

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    The last two, we were in one of the roped-off sections.
    As someone who hasn't seen WOC yet, can you clarify? By "roped off section", do you mean in an area for the dinning package?
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• Ready for takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by rihard2000 View Post
    As someone who hasn't seen WOC yet, can you clarify? By "roped off section", do you mean in an area for the dinning package?
    This is actually separate from that. We made our reservations through concierge at the Grand Californian. We have relatives that stay there and went with them.

• Party Planning King

Thanks Folsom, but now I'm slightly even more confused (sorry). If this isn't a fast pass area nor a dinning package area, how does one go about getting this roped off spot. Reservations with the hotel concierge? I've never read this mentioned as an option before, so please forgive me.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• Ready for takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by rihard2000 View Post
    Thanks Folsom, but now I'm slightly even more confused (sorry). If this isn't a fast pass area nor a dinning package area, how does one go about getting this roped off spot. Reservations with the hotel concierge? I've never read this mentioned as an option before, so please forgive me.
    I have relatives who stay in one of the Vice Presidential Suites at the Grand Californian and that is one of the perks. They got to pick shows where they wanted VIP seating. They did this for both Fantasmic and WOC on our recent trip and it was very enjoyable.

I'll say that the only reason people I have taken with me haven't had a similar experience is that I realized that A) you need a dining package, B) you need to get there 85 or so minutes early, and C) you need to ignore anything any one CM tells you. Since I have an AP and usually the others don't, I take the bullet and get there early and all that stuff.

That can't be good for the majority of people who see this show. Disney has really screwed up in this area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12