Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    530

    Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Is it your guys' experience that Disney really still does not have a grasp on how to handle those who show up early to get a spot for World of Color?

    The first time I saw WoC was very early in its existence. My girlfriend (at the time) and I got the picnic meal option. We showed up early. When they let us in, no one escorted us, and no one really told us how to maneuver through the maze of poles and ropes. Somehow we ended up in a much better viewing area than we were supposed to be in. No one ever said anything, but we didn't really know what/where we were going.

    Subsequently when I have gone it has been with much more expensive meal tickets (Ariel's, Carthay, etc.). We were told by a CM that we couldn't queue right by the entrance, but to wait across the walkway, directly in front of Ariel's Undersea Adventure. To our dismay, no one ever came over to line us up, but they just opened the gates and a group that had just gathered by the entrance got in ahead of those who'd gotten there much earlier. In that scenario, I staked out a spot where my girlfriend could see, but we were told by a CM inside the viewing area that we must fill in the space, and the CM directed us to a spot with a giant light (the mounted bulbus ones) blocking our view).

    Since, I have decided that, while I feel bad for those who have been told to wait across the way in front of AUA, I am going to be the people that wait by the actual entrance and get let in first. It has worked flawlessly, except that I constantly hear complaining by those who've been told to wait across the way.

    Once while employing this strategy with family out from the south, we were given a false green light and directed back to the entrance by a manager (who was pretty young for a manager and a bit rude).

    Most recently, for Winter Dreams, I attended my first "second" show, meaning I'd never not attended the first show of the night. I asked three different CMs who told me three different places to line up for the Wine Country Trattoria viewing area. I asked several more and deduced where I thought I was supposed to be. Eventually, people lined up around me and what seemed like a lead said the queue was for Arie's Grotto and the WCT. But as CMs came and went from the area, none of them knew which restaurants the queue was for. So I started helping them and telling the CMs. Eventually we got escorted to our viewing area and things were fine.

    But what the hell is the deal here? Essentially every time I have attended this show there has been major confusion about who goes where. I realize it is quite an undertaking, but you'd think they'd have this figured out by now. Anyone else have a similar experience?

  2. #2

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,105

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Why? Because they "retired" all the people who were experience in that.







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    530

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Why? Because they "retired" all the people who were experience in that.
    But now that I have seen the show a half dozen times or so, I could come up with a better system than they have in place after how long now?

  4. #4

    • #bringevilback
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    1,562

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    The last two times I've seen it, ones the winter version, once the regular, both have had issues. I was told different locations for the second show and finally ended up where I was supposed to be, but while I was literally the first person, I ended up with a disappointing view. For the winter AP viewing there was a group of us waiting for the bridge section to open up, standing where the CM told us. Another CM comes over and says no, we can't go directly to the bridge, we have to walk all the way around, which would have put us behind half the crowd. There were enough of us there that they finally just let us go.

    It's ridiculous! They basically do it an average of twice a night for the last three and a half years. I don't care if you move all your experienced people...there should be a standard queue procedure in place!

  5. #5

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    279

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    The reason is that Disney basically has no clue how to do anything anymore.

  6. #6

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    244

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    If they had designed the show right in the first place so it could be seen from anywhere around the lagoon it would have made things much easier.

  7. #7

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Well, according to MiceAge, they designed the main viewing area thinking it would hold 10K people and when they built it they discovered it would only hold 4K, so they have had to add numerous other view areas and create these color codes that they use. So New Orleans Square was basically rebuilt in 1991 to accomodate Fantasmic, and today even on the most crowded of days as long as Disney has the proper amount of guest control, a person can get from Frontierland to Critter Country in a reasonable amount of time during Fantasmic without disturbing the guests watching the show. It really is remarkable just how good a job Disney did with everything related to Fantasmic, from the show itself to the viewing experience to not messing up the experience of being in New Orleans Square and enjoying that ambiance apart from Fantasmic. It's like a perfect storm of awesomeness. Sadly, World of Color seems to be the opposite, from the projection systems that don't submerge, to the viewing area, to the way they handle priority viewing. It's like a perfect storm of crappyness.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  8. #8

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,418

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    It feels that way because they don't know how. The first time I saw WoC I thought at the time it was a bit messy. The FP distribution is odd, the CMs don't seem to know what they're doing, and if you're short good luck seeing any of the show. If you aren't watching WoC good luck making your way around the park, at least in that area.

    I don't think DCA was designed for big spectacles like this and it shows. There are random, multiple viewing areas and they aren't traffic friendly. I tried walking near Paradise Pier trying to get back through the GCH entrance/exit during WoC and felt like I was being directed through a maze.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    530

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    It feels that way because they don't know how. The first time I saw WoC I thought at the time it was a bit messy. The FP distribution is odd, the CMs don't seem to know what they're doing, and if you're short good luck seeing any of the show. If you aren't watching WoC good luck making your way around the park, at least in that area.

    I don't think DCA was designed for big spectacles like this and it shows. There are random, multiple viewing areas and they aren't traffic friendly. I tried walking near Paradise Pier trying to get back through the GCH entrance/exit during WoC and felt like I was being directed through a maze.
    I'm over 6 feet in shoes, so I can pretty much see the show anywhere unless one of those stupid lamps is in my way (whose design idea was that anyway?). However, I don't go by myself. The girlfriend is 5'2", and we sometimes take her niece and/or nephew.

    What I have found is that you have to be on a railing to get a view if you're of average or lower height. In fact, my gf didn't really care about seeing the show. She said she'd seen it and wasn't that impressed. Well, she'd seen it, but hadn't really seen it. She couldn't see any of the projections. So we went to Carthay and got there 1:15 early and got a railing and she really, really liked it. So much so, we've seen in twice since in only a few months.

    But that is the key--the railing. I have found that if you get there 1:15 before showtime that you can foil the bad planning and end up on a railing. But the average person doesn't know that. And the average person is going to get bad info from a CM. And it's not the CM's fault.

    I did overhear one CM during the Winter Dreams show--the one I describe in the initial post as my first time seeing the second showing--that they keep changing procedures and areas and it is tough to remember what and who goes where. Perhaps that is the problem.

    Either way, this is the worst-organized thing at the resort, bar none.

  10. #10

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,418

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I'm over 6 feet in shoes, so I can pretty much see the show anywhere unless one of those stupid lamps is in my way (whose design idea was that anyway?). However, I don't go by myself. The girlfriend is 5'2", and we sometimes take her niece and/or nephew.

    What I have found is that you have to be on a railing to get a view if you're of average or lower height. In fact, my gf didn't really care about seeing the show. She said she'd seen it and wasn't that impressed. Well, she'd seen it, but hadn't really seen it. She couldn't see any of the projections. So we went to Carthay and got there 1:15 early and got a railing and she really, really liked it. So much so, we've seen in twice since in only a few months.

    But that is the key--the railing. I have found that if you get there 1:15 before showtime that you can foil the bad planning and end up on a railing. But the average person doesn't know that. And the average person is going to get bad info from a CM. And it's not the CM's fault.

    I did overhear one CM during the Winter Dreams show--the one I describe in the initial post as my first time seeing the second showing--that they keep changing procedures and areas and it is tough to remember what and who goes where. Perhaps that is the problem.

    Either way, this is the worst-organized thing at the resort, bar none.
    I got to my viewing area over an hour early. By the time I got there the area on the railing was filled up with strollers, people with blankets, and wheelchairs. I tried squeezing my way through and I couldn't do it. I asked a CM if that was normal and she just shrugged and basically said it happens every night and there isn't anything they can do about it. I wound up holding my camera in the air and basically watching the show from the LCD screen because I had a bunch of people in front of me standing their kids on the strollers and holding them high up in their arms.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  11. #11

    • How Peculiar
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    230

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Yeah I've experienced the same thing, and on multiple instances.

    For Winter Dreams I had the second showing of the night so our meet up spot wasn't the viewing area, instead we were told to wait at Ariel's Grotto. About, say 10-15 minutes, before the designated time frame to return on our fastpass ticket, there was a line of cast members who were simply just doing crowd control. I thought that was a little odd because that area is usually fine from traffic, so I asked one of them where the Blue section was to line up. They directed me past the bridge next to Wine Country. Went over there and asked another cast member, he said to line up next to the Pillar? Yeah, the pillar. Asked one more and said go back to Ariel's Grotto! I was literally running around to find where the Blue section was to go, and to my surprise, those "crowd control" cast members were the ones directing the blue section into their waiting queue. I was really annoyed by then because I was behind a huge line of people.

    I'm not saying it's their fault, but miscommunication was big here because out of the three cast members I asked and showed my fastpass ticket to that said "Ariel's Grotto," I was directed to other areas. I was directed to another waiting spot by a cast member assigned specifically to my color ... I mean really?

    Even if you have the first showing, the queue to enter is a huge mess. They start the line right in the middle of traffic, and it makes moving anywhere a nightmare, and there's never a definite entrance to line up. It's a mess, simple as that.
    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

  12. #12

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,637

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Yeah it is a big cluster IMO. I have had multiple experiences with the show. I just don't like the whole thing at all. The way the queue works all the way through the show. It really disrupts the park to the way they did it which bothers me. It;s a good idea but the logistics weren't thought out IMO.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    530

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I got to my viewing area over an hour early. By the time I got there the area on the railing was filled up with strollers, people with blankets, and wheelchairs. I tried squeezing my way through and I couldn't do it. I asked a CM if that was normal and she just shrugged and basically said it happens every night and there isn't anything they can do about it. I wound up holding my camera in the air and basically watching the show from the LCD screen because I had a bunch of people in front of me standing their kids on the strollers and holding them high up in their arms.
    I forgot one thing: You need to dine. I've never done FP for the show and can't imagine ever doing it.

  14. #14

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,418

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I forgot one thing: You need to dine. I've never done FP for the show and can't imagine ever doing it.
    Meh, I don't really care to pay the price to see WoC outside of getting a FP. The show isn't that great to begin with.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    441

    Re: Why does it feel like Disney has no clue how to queue World of Color?

    I had a similar experience this weekend. We had the dining package. We asked a CM where to go. They said "right across from where Triton is" on the roof the TLM ride. So we go approximately across from there and see a CM. Ask if this is the right place for the dining package people. They say close, but to go a little farther down, "there will be a sign". Now, the fun part is, the CM I was talking to was standing near what I'd call a "sign" but it said nothing on it. We went farther down and there was another one. Seriously, it looked like it should've had some additional paper or plastic thing slid into it saying something...like...oh...I donno...Blue or Dining Package only or something. Instead every spot where CMs were manning the lines of people lined up before you were allowed into the viewing area, there was a blank white sign that said nothing. So everyone walked up and asked every single time if they were standing in the right place. Waste of time and energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How many different domain names does a company like Disney own?
    By Radiobarry in forum The Walt Disney Company
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 05:12 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
  3. (Once again)Why does everyone not like DCA???
    By SkittlesMcGee943 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
  4. Does if feel like not much is going on...
    By JiminyCricketFan in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 07:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •