Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,451

    Re: walt's ride influence

    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

    I think Walt's biggest disappointment would be the lack of originality. In my view, originality is the company's true product. The fact that they have had license or even buy out intellectual properties from sources outside the company, even from competing studios: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar and the Marvel empire for examples. Why couldn't the company's brain trust come up with blockbusters on their own? Where is the imagination, creativity and originality within the company?

  2. #32

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

    I think Walt's biggest disappointment would be the lack of originality. In my view, originality is the company's true product. The fact that they have had license or even buy out intellectual properties from sources outside the company, even from competing studios: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar and the Marvel empire for examples. Why couldn't the company's brain trust come up with blockbusters on their own? Where is the imagination, creativity and originality within the company?
    ^^^This, this, and this.

    I think if I were Walt and came back and took a walk through the park, I might find Star Tours and Indiana Jones interesting. But when I found out they weren't based on our properties, I might ask, why?

    Indeed, Walt drew from stories outside his own original creation, but what was created from those stories had the Disney mark put on them and that's what we see in the park. Pinocchio has appeared in all sorts of different incarnations throughout time, but the Pinocchio we meet at Disneyland is Walt Disney Productions' vision and creation of Pinocchio.

    Walt was a genius. And he surrounded himself with geniuses who could create and imagine and come up with original ideas, as well. Yes, they created attractions that drew on stories that were popular and written by others, but the vision you see of these stories are created by Disney and represented as such in his park. And the fact is, not everything you saw at Disneyland was about a movie anyway.

    What was just as striking for me, were all the amazing experiences that came about that weren't a result of a movie, or a childhood story that had already been written. Yes, those were there and they were great. But there was so much more. When you saw Walt and his supporting staff, you knew he had something special going on inside him that has been lost in the last couple of decades.

    Was watching a couple of episodes of Walt Disney Presents last night that I have on video, and seeing the imagination that came from that man….the passion….and the eagerness to create….not just buy. Did Walt like making money? Of course. But there was more to it than that. You can see the gleeful, kid-like qualities in him. Somehow I doubt that was a contrived and phony facade that was intended to cover up his real intentions….of only making money. He really seemed to enjoy what he did.

    A phenomenal individual really. As were his cohorts in imagineering.

    It stops at being only a business now.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    980

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Key word in bold for emphasis.





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    72

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

    I think Walt's biggest disappointment would be the lack of originality. In my view, originality is the company's true product. The fact that they have had license or even buy out intellectual properties from sources outside the company, even from competing studios: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar and the Marvel empire for examples. Why couldn't the company's brain trust come up with blockbusters on their own? Where is the imagination, creativity and originality within the company?

    as the person pointed out..the keyword is JUST. Sure they had other goals other than making money, but money is king. They would not have made such a spectacle of Disneyland if it wasn't for money. They would not have let people in with the ground still settling if it wasn't for money. The list goes on..

    ..But back to original question, I agree with you on this. There is a serious lack of originality. Projects like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Its a small world, etc. are arguably the most iconic attractions. Almost everything since then is based off something else. Which is fun and great, but I think Walt would probably push for more out of the box thinking, rather than the umpteenth Toy Story themed attraction.

  5. #35

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,451

    Re: walt's ride influence

    During Walt's time, the park was (a) a labor of love, (b) the fulfillment of his dream, and (c) a profit-making venture. Now, however, (a) and (b) are gone and (c) is all there is left.

  6. #36

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    During Walt's time, the park was (a) a labor of love, (b) the fulfillment of his dream, and (c) a profit-making venture. Now, however, (a) and (b) are gone and (c) is all there is left.
    To be fair, your points "a" and "b" are also linked to a single person and their very singular point of view. Stripped of the person who provided them, all you're left with is "C" by default - with the addition of a raft of people trying to lay claim to points "a" and "b" through every device both rhetorical and practical.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    483

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Some of you are completely delusional if you think that Walt;s main focus wasn't to make money.
    Walt did have an interest in making money, growing up broke will do that to you. But it is very plain in learning his story that is interest making a profit was almost entirely related to his interest in spending it on the company. The Disney company was constantly broke because he'd spend everything he earned on new staff, new technology, and new ideas. It wasn't about putting it in his pocket.

    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    483

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    During Walt's time, the park was (a) a labor of love, (b) the fulfillment of his dream, and (c) a profit-making venture. Now, however, (a) and (b) are gone and (c) is all there is left.
    I disagree with this. Disneyland is run by tens of thousands of people. Not a handful. And many of those people, right there in the parks, are doing it for love. They're certainly not doing it because they *want* to make $9 an hour. I know this is true because I have an awesome experience with a cast member every time I go. Disneyland people are the best kinds of people. No doubt about it.

    I know it's fun and all to say how greedy the Disney company is, but there are thousands of people working at Disneyland who do everything they do every day JUST FOR YOU.

    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

  9. #39

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I disagree with this. Disneyland is run by tens of thousands of people. Not a handful. And many of those people, right there in the parks, are doing it for love. They're certainly not doing it because they *want* to make $9 an hour. I know this is true because I have an awesome experience with a cast member every time I go. Disneyland people are the best kinds of people. No doubt about it.

    I know it's fun and all to say how greedy the Disney company is, but there are thousands of people working at Disneyland who do everything they do every day JUST FOR YOU.
    While there are thousands of people involved in the operation of Disneyland, it isn't the $9/hour CM in the trenches who has much of a say on how the money is spent or how the vision is continued.

    The ones making the budgetary decisions are more in the handful range than the thousands range.

    I agree that there are plenty of hourly (and even some salaried) CMs left who are very closely aligned with Walt's vision.
    It was the same when I worked there.

    There were a lot of us on the front lines, working with the guests on a daily basis who truly believed in what Walt stood for. Part of our joy and honor in working there had to do with continuing on with that tradition. Heck, I worked with people who worked there when Walt was still alive and roaming the park.

    It didn't mean that there weren't those coming into power above us in the upper echelons of the company who had more of the business mind than the creative/Walt-like mindset.

    And they were the ones making the decisions as to the direction of the park. Not us.

    I agree with Bob that the paradigm shift has moved closer to the corporate mindset (where $ is the biggest factor) than it has maintaining Walt's dream and unique approach to making his dream a reality.

  10. #40

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    2,009

    Re: walt's ride influence

    It's hard to say what anyone deceased for nearly 50 years would think in today's world. Their views could change, as could their way of doing business. I like to think though that Walt wouldn't have changed all that much between now and then. First and foremost, Walt was a showman. His creativity and keenness in showbusiness were what he was about. He was also a visionary. When people doubted his abilities to pull things off, he did them. With one foot planted in the past and another in the future, I think Walt would have wanted his parks to keep growing and evolving while respecting history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I think Walt's biggest disappointment would be the lack of originality. In my view, originality is the company's true product. The fact that they have had license or even buy out intellectual properties from sources outside the company, even from competing studios: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar and the Marvel empire for examples. Why couldn't the company's brain trust come up with blockbusters on their own? Where is the imagination, creativity and originality within the company?
    I agree. I think one of the glaring issues to Walt would perhaps be that unique, original rides have lacked in Disneyland for sometime. He might like Indy or Star Tours, but he might wonder why Pirates and Haunted Mansion, the last major rides he worked on, have yet to be topped or at the very least equaled by another original experience. And then there's Tomorrowland, which, needs nothing more said.

  11. #41

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,451

    Re: walt's ride influence

    I think Walt would be worried about the competition now. When he was alive, he had no real competition to worry about. Knott's was always the "poor country cousin" to the glamorous, upscale Disneyland. Now, though, other destinations have gotten much more sophisticated, more high-tech and offer more thrill rides. And they are getting a lot of business. I'm sure Walt would wonder what they could do to keep up.

  12. #42

    • Donald's #1 Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    895

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Some of you are completely delusional if you think that Walt;s main focus wasn't to make money.
    I don't think you are right on that one.

    After reading several books on the Disney University, the Disney Way, a couple of Walt's biographies and the Disneyland Story (what can I say, I began finding tons of terribly useful information on management on them), I don't think Walt's main focus was making money. AT ALL.

    Did he like money? Oh, yes, he did. He dressed nicely, had beautiful homes, tons of toys, lavish trips, etc.

    Did he love money? Was his main focus making money? Heck, no. Not at all.

    He liked money because he used it as a medium for getting the things that were his main focus. Time and time again he complained about not having enough money - for making his dreams a reality. Not enough money for buying more land around DL. Not enough money for developing better rides or bigger movies. Not enough money for...

    Most of his life, in his own words, he said he found himself without enough money. Not that he loved to watch his bank account grow and he loved to say his net worth, like current millionaires.

    He said money was the only way he could get things done - build parks, make movies, perfect animatronics, hire tons of people and make his dreams a reality.

    Walt's main focus was feeding his creative needs. His magnum opus was to be EPCOT, and he truly needed tons and tons of money to get the project started. I bet he LOVED the idea of the city of tomorrow, and that was his main focus at his death (the night before he died, what was he talking about? EPCOT, or his bank account?) - and I bet he didn't actually LOVE the money he had on the bank.

    On the Disneyland Ephemera (sp?) thread there's an ad for early Disneyland - I believe before it was to be built. One of the MAIN points he made was - Disneyland will be affordable for everyone, regarding their budget. Meaning - you can plan an economical trip or feast on the best restaurants, you'll be able to afford. He wasn't a rapacious businessman like today's park execs - I bet he just knew that his entertainment empire could just spread like wildfire with word-of-mouth and big masses of people. He'd have charged a lot more if his focus was money - by year 2, he just knew he could.

    Besides, look at what he did. 4 years later, he completely revamped the park. How many new attractions did he build? And what were their sizes? The Matterhorn? The Subs? In 4 years? How many new attractions do we get now? It's been how long since Indy? 18 years now?

    Was Walt's main focus really making money? Or re-investing it, making it grow and creating the things his heart really desired?

    Just a thought.
    Last edited by fjhuerta; 01-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.

  13. #43

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    483

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    While there are thousands of people involved in the operation of Disneyland, it isn't the $9/hour CM in the trenches who has much of a say on how the money is spent or how the vision is continued...

    The ones making the budgetary decisions are more in the handful range than the thousands range.
    I understand what your'e saying, and it's definitely a fair point. But I think the larger view that some seem to miss is that Disneyland, as constituted today, is still just about the most wonderful place in the entire world. The reason this is so is because of the people who work there. Even the bean counters. They must be doing something right if I'd rather pay $650 for my pass there than $80 for a pass of the same caliber at Knott's. And I know I'm not alone.

    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

  14. #44

    • Disney Philosopher
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    I.E. SoCal, USA
    Posts
    217

    Re: walt's ride influence

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    They must be doing something right if I'd rather pay $650 for my pass there than $80 for a pass of the same caliber at Knott's. And I know I'm not alone.
    Do like me and have both...
    "These are a few of my favorite things"


  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: walt's ride influence

    I think Walt would still like a lot of aspects of Disneyland. Look at how many rides are still there from 1955. Not to mention other rides he threw in before his death like the Matterhorn, Small World, and Pirates just in the nick of time. Things would be different, and why wouldn't they he died in 1966. That's 48 years of things that can change and yet the park still has the same charm. He'd be picky about things and wouldn't like certain things but I doubt he would gut the entire park and re-do it over again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] If you could share one ride with Walt?
    By dogtherock in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
  3. What ride would you ride with Walt Disney?
    By AlwaysImagineer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
  4. Walt's favorite ride
    By Sorcerer's Apprentice in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM
  5. Best ride since Walt died.
    By Cousin Orville in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •