Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

walt's ride influence

I'm sure this subject has been brought up before, but I was watching a YouTube video on the building of Disneyland with Walt walking around checking on all the rides before opening. It had me thinking, what one ride/area at Disneyland would Walt disapprove of? I mean you have to think that he would be upset with some part of his park not going to his plans. If I had to guess one area, I would think he'd be upset at the way Tom Sawyer island has kinda fell apart. The fort? Unusable. Some of its charming features from the past? Gone. It just seems he was so passionate about it and he was a kid at heart, that he'd be upset about it. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. What's your thoughts?

Re: walt's ride influence

I think he would be most upset with the condition of TomorrowLand.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Haha ya your probably right!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I think he would be most upset with the condition of TomorrowLand.
    I agree. I think that Walt was pretty 'invested' in the 'ideas of the future' that were Tomorrowland many years ago. Mission to Mars, Inner Space, Carousel of Progress, even the Rocket jets. Now it's just kind of a conglomeration of rides with semi-futuristy exteriors.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• ...my first visit to DL

I agree - Tomorrowland. Walt was a visionary and if you read the dedication plaque for Tomorrowland it wasn't supposed to be a place of future fantasy, but a place that developed and demonstrated ideas of the future in a way that entertained park guests. If he were in his prime, he'd probably be pushing for new ideas from business and industry that he could showcase in his park.

• Artistic integrity

I think he'd be upset by:

1. Tomorrowland
    2. over saturation of brands/franchises .. over original content
    3. closing off the northern half of Tom Sawyer Island
    4. ripping down Cascade Peek, and doing nothing to replace it, other than letting surrounding shrubs overtake the area.
    5. And an overall dumbing-down vibe across all of Disneyland. (Meaning, if today's audiences are dumber .. we'll make it dumber for them. Insert your Stitch fart joke scene into a Tomorrowland attraction here.)
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Donald's #1 Fan

He'd be certainly upset about Paradise Pier. It contradicts every single thing he stood for. Every. Single. One. Cheap attractions, carnival games, gaudy and cheap decoration, and a place where you can easily see "the real world".

I don't know about Tomorrowland. He never got it completely right, IMHO. The closest thing to greatness was TL '67, and I'm not completely sure as to how much involvement he had. He'd certainly love Space Mountain and he'd probably be entertained by Nemo - Star Tours would be amazing to him, probably. So - I don't think he'd be completely disappointed by it.

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I think he'd be upset by:

1. Tomorrowland
    2. over saturation of brands/franchises .. over original content
    3. closing off the northern half of Tom Sawyer Island
    4. ripping down Cascade Peek, and doing nothing to replace it, other than letting surrounding shrubs overtake the area.
    5. And an overall dumbing-down vibe across all of Disneyland. (Meaning, if today's audiences are dumber .. we'll make it dumber for them. Insert your Stitch fart joke scene into a Tomorrowland attraction here.)

• Not the Hawkguy

I think he'd most be upset with Frontierland, to be honest. That land has probably suffered more than any other land, and the BTMR refurb has shown just how much of a one-trick pony the land had become (this is not a jab at other parts of the land, just that they don't draw in crowds like BTMR does).

Tomorrowland.....I'm not sure really. I think he wouldn't be happy with the overall look of the land, but there are parts he would definitely enjoy (Space Mountain, Star Tours, maybe Buzz). But I think if he was around, we wouldn't necessarily see the Subs or Autopia still around. Tomorrowland should have been a land of constant change, and I think he'd be upset with the stagnation in the land.

I think he'd enjoy a good amount of DCA. Cars Land would wow him, as would Soarin and Grizzly Mountain. Paradise Pier would definitely be a mixed bag (he'd probably enjoy LM, but the Ferris Wheel would cause him to throw a fit). And now I'm imagining him riding Superstar Limo and I feel sad.

one thing he wouldnt be upset with..the amount of money hed be making from the parks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    one thing he wouldnt be upset with..the amount of money hed be making from the parks.
    Quote from Walt Disney
    Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Quote from Walt Disney - Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.
    Spoken like a true Capitalist.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Let me take the question a little further and ask what of the original park, that he last saw, do you think he'd be disappointed with? No DCA, no ToonTown, just original

• Minion

The original 1955 Tomorrowland looked unfinished.

• Minion

yeah, everyone hates making money. Walt hated people spending money in his parks. Thats why everything was free when Disneyland first opened.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast