California's 3rd Gate

This has been racking my brain for a while.If Disney decides to open a 3rd gate in California, where would it go and what would its 'theme' be?

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: California's 3rd Gate

It would go where the current Toy Story Parking Lot is.

That's the easy part.

The hard part is figuring out what would go there.

Don't they have a special contract with California that lets them tear down housing and any buildings in order to make a 3rd gate or expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by jose92397 View Post
    Don't they have a special contract with California that lets them tear down housing and any buildings in order to make a 3rd gate or expansion?
    LOL no.

I wish they did.

• Singing Drinker

Disney could try to make the case for eminent domain of those properties, but the current residents and the various anti-Disney community organizations in the area would likely be all over the press about the displacement of low income Disney workers to make way for a Disney park like noone's business (and they would be low income displacements - no one in OC is stupid enough to try to ED people capable of hiring lawyers).

I'm personally hoping the eventual park will be the Universe of Marvel Wars starring the Muppets at PixarLand featuring Avatar at the new Mordor Land. I'm sure we can figure out a way to jam a bunch of other "favorite" IPs in there as well. Why the heck not? Every square inch dedicated to a new and exciting favored IP! LET'S DO IT!
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Since DCA had a more domestic theme, the theme of the third gate should be more exotic. A park that takes you to multiple worlds and not just one particular/specific area.

• Minion

I think it needs to be an action/adventure park, with serious thrill rides and high-tech effects. Sort of an answer to the visceral thrills of Magic Mountain with the movie effects of Universal. There's a segment of the market I don't think Disney is addressing very well - teenagers and young adults, who want serious thrills and not just princesses and slow rides.

• Disneyland History Lover

Until the Star Wars acquisition, I would have preferred them to create a Marvel park that was comprised of half thrill rides and half rides that are rich in theme and unique in execution. Now, I think they could go the route of an ultimate Star Wars park, which would be preferable to Star Wars Land in DL. It could be the ultimate Star Wars fan destination the world over. Conventions could be held there. Meet and greets. Heck, even film premiers like they did with POTC in DL. But could a single franchise carry an entire park? I think it depends on the execution. Something like Star Wars that has the following it does could certainly support its own park, in my estimation. It just depends on how they do it.

If they did do a third gate at the Toy Story lot, where would the parking be and how would you get guests to the park and between parks effectively?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDad View Post
    If they did do a third gate at the Toy Story lot, where would the parking be and how would you get guests to the park and between parks effectively?
    Disney is allowed to use that land for a temporary parking lot under the condition it will become the 3rd gate. This is a contract they have with Anaheim.

To the north is Garden Walk and to the north of that is the Pumba lot and more land that Disney owns. That has been planned to become a large garage. This is similar to how Disney California Advenuter was built on the Disneyland parking lot, and parking was moved to the Mickey and Friends garage.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Considering the line up to get into the parking lot in the morning is atrocious I think they should fix little things like that first before even flirting with the idea of whether or not they have enough room to put a third gate in. Getting into the parking lot shouldn't be that difficult and take that long. That needs to be corrected first.

Even though I often dream up (and sometimes share) ideas for a third park, I sometimes wonder if I get overly obsessed with "theme". If you really think about it, what is the theme of Disneyland? It's really just a collection of then-current pop-culture trends, we just think of them as a cohesive theme because we are so used to seeing them together in Disneyland (and other castle parks). I'm still interested to hear people's ideas (especially since any new park will most likely make an attempt at a single theme).