Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Get Rid of Magic Eye Theater?

The more time I spend looking at photos of Tomorrowland as it currently is, I have to wonder if it might be worth it to just get rid of the Magic Eye Theatre entirely. I have a few reasons rolling around in my hea

1. It may be safe at this point to say that 4D films are hardly a draw anymore. I can't imagine that Disney would go out of their way to produce a fresh, new one because - frankly - it wouldn't be worth their time. Tokyo's Captain EO is being replaced by Stitch Encounter (the Hong Kong one, not the Florida one) because, what else is there? Given that the Star Wars overlay does happen, I imagine Magic Eye Theatre would either house some 4D Star Wars clip extravaganza or maybe, at best, a "Yoda Encounter." Neither sounds particularly exciting or worthwhile.

2. It takes up quite a bit of space. If it were removed, Tomorrowland would feel incredibly open, creating a secondary central plaza in the land.

3. It dwarfs Space Mountain. Looking at photos, views from within the park toward Space Mountain make it appear quite a bit smaller than it actually is, because it's displaced far from any accessible ground level area (similar to Tower of Terror) and appears as just a slope instead of something tall. The idea that a spinner might be relocated to the top of the Magic Eye is preposterous in that it would appear from almost every angle that the spinner was taller than Space Mountain. It would certainly do a number on the perspective.

I can't honestly say I know what sort of integral infrastructure is located within the Magic Eye, but it seems to me that the area would benefit from losing it once Captain EO has run its course and an aesthetic renovation sweeps through the land. Imagine being able to stand right under Space Mountain from ground level and look up at it like you can at the other parks... It would be a welcome view!

Tokyo's (above) still has a speed ramp, but it leads directly into the mountain. You can still approach the mountain from an open plaza on either side. Disneyland's would obviously be tighter since the corridor would still be there, but at least it would feel more open with room for a Fastpass distribution center and a more dramatic approach, giving you the chance to actually see the mountain's height.

The Starcade could even be used for the queue, including the escalators to the second floor that would then lead to a very small raised plaza right into the current mountain entrance.

Hong Kong's you can actually stand under. This view would be 100% attainable if the Starcade and its escalator were used for queueing...

Just something I got myself thinking about!

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bkroz; 01-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

Re: Get Rid of Magic Eye Theater?

Oh man, I was at HK back in August, and Space Mountain was quite a spectacular sight!

If we could get that impressive feeling here in California...

Being at Tokyo's is what prompted this thought!

And as I think about it, it also solves the Starcade issue in many ways. Holding queue on the first floor, then a CM pulses FP / stand-by groups up the escalator to the second floor, out onto a small sliver of the current rooftop and directly into the mountain. It could work. It's no worse than the current holding queue being on the rooftop...
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Artistic integrity

Well, we know Disney themselves have tinkered with the idea of creating an open plaza .. as shown in Scot Drake's conception of a new Tomorrowland:

Go back earlier in time when Space Mountain was on drawing boards back in 1965:

The conundrum about this idea, it takes away the capacity the Kodak Eye Magic Theater brought to Tomorrowland,and all of Disneyland for that matter.

But Disneyland crowds have changed a lot since the 60s and 70s. Tomorrowland needs an open plaza area to help disperse crowds.

And expansion to run the border of TL as close to Harbor Blvd as possible, should be a possibility:

If you remove the 3D Theater ... replace it's lost Attraction Capacity, by creating new attractions with showbuildings that reside just beyond the DLRR perimeter. And the Cooler Plant, Submarine Chlorination Plant, and other things are relocated. A big job? Yup! Anything can be done with money and commitment behind you.

What stands in the way, though, is the Grand Canyon Diorama.

But I bet there are ways around that. It's just going to require a commitment. (I think it could go behind Frontierland).

Disney sure were keen to go that far to remove a diorama at one stage.

A detailed map showed the footprint for new buildings where Dick Tracy Crimestoppers were to go - In a new "Hollywoodland",(back in 1990) with the Primeval World Diorama gone.

Do we want to see the dioramas gone? No ... But I'm sure there are ways of dealing with this.

But what I see happening ... is execs play the denial card .. to Disneyland's fledging crowds ... and no matter how crowded TL is .. and how much worse it will be in the future, they'll probably just use the same current footprint for Tomorrowland.

A big mistake.

Sure would be nice if the Co. had the foresight to see Tomorrowland needs wider pedestrian areas, without cutting down the number of attractions, and capacity.

SIDE NOTE -

In this slightly clearer picture of Scot Drake's Blue Sky rendering for Tomorrowland ... look to the left of that center arch for Space Mountain....

What looks like an entry way ... that could lead to an attraction ... that physically resides outside the DLRR. Much like Indy. Long corridor to take you to the actual ride. And just to the left of that walkway (a gold bit) then .. another one, behind the water fountain. (One, your Entry, the second - the Exit. Much like Indy in Adventureland).

THAT needs to be the direction Tomorrowland goes.

A secondary plaza to even out 21 Century crowds.

New attractions with corridors taking people to them.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Disneyland History Lover

While I don't particularly love the entrance into Space Mountain, I don't get the feeling that the Magic Eye Theater is going anywhere. Unless they have an exciting and fresh 3D film that will be loved for years to come, I'd rather they find another use for the space. Even moving Pizza Port there, or Mos Eisley Cantina, or whatever could potentially free up the current Pizza Port and Innoventions for redevelopment of that entire section of land.

I agree that placing the Astro Orbiter on top of the Magic Eye Theater makes little sense from an aesthetic perspective and hope they do not go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    Being at Tokyo's is what prompted this thought!
    Though our Space Mountain and Tokyo's are the same size, ours goes underground while theirs sits on the ground so ours will never seem as tall as theirs.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Though our Space Mountain and Tokyo's are the same size, ours goes underground while theirs sits on the ground so ours will never seem as tall as theirs.
    This is very true.

Although I think Space Mountain should receive a better entrance, I don't think removing the theater is the best solution. I think the smartest thing Disney could do right now, is reconfigure the theater for the Jedi Training Academy and make it a full time attraction. It should take a very minimal amount of reconfiguring, increase traffic to the theater, and also free up tables at the Tomorrowland Terrace for people who.... You know... Actually want to eat food at a restaurant.

That would be the smartest use of that space by far.

• Donald's #1 Fan

My local theater has a better 4D experience than the Magic Eye one.

It's about time something was done to that place. Again - bring back the open theater and have rock / pop concerts?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    [...]
    You've put together a very well-presented and -crafted thread. I appreciate that. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

But Disneyland crowds have changed a lot since the 60s and 70s. Tomorrowland needs an open plaza area to help disperse crowds.

And expansion to run the border of TL as close to Harbor Blvd as possible, should be a possibility...
    Agreed. 100%.
    ... and no matter how crowded TL is .. and how much worse it will be in the future, they'll probably just use the same current footprint for Tomorrowland.

A big mistake.
    Here, too, I am in complete agreement, even though (as mentioned) this very well might have to mean my beloved dioramas' relocation.

I agree about removing the theater. Right now the entrance to Space Mountain is in a weird location. It's a dark walkway with people having to walk against the flow of traffic after they get their fastpass tickets. It also hides a huge, seldom used seating area for Pizza Port. And don't get me started about people having to wait outside the bathrooms to use the alternate entrance!

Getting rid of the theater would open up the space again and allow for much improved movement in the area. It would be great if they also opened up the Edison Square area to provide an alternate pathway to Tomorrowland instead of fighting the crowds on Main Street.

I'm very doubtful any of it will happen, but one can always wish upon a star, can't they?

• Former Churro Jockey

I think the most practical thing would be to merge it with the Starcade & Star Trader and make a big Star Wars event center. Keep the Star Trader but have it sell exclusively Star Wars merch, then use the Starcade and the theater to have Star Wars events like the Star Wars weekends that are so popular at WDW. They can move the Jedi Training Acadamy to the top floor of the starcade as well as the build your own lightsaber kiosk, and they can use the theater like a convention center with several different rooms and stages. It can be a flexible space that it dedicated to short-term promotional events. They can keep the screen and show the 10-minute previews of any upcoming Star Wars movies for however long that lasts, and then later on they can use it for special Star Wars private events where they show a full movie and people get a chance to see something like Return of the Jedi on the big screen again.

This kind of thing I can live with. Making Tomorrowland a Star Wars land? Not so much.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

The 80's is OVER and so is the Magic Eye Theater's relevance. There is too much awkward space due to TL random additions over the years, and so the majority of the land should be gutted. I'd even stick a Star Wars hotel in the tram loading area to balance out the Grand Californian.

• "What? What?"

I know what they could do, and to piss off the purists out there.

Install a Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor concept but in the Star Wars universe. They had cantinas, they could have comedy clubs.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    I know what they could do, and to piss off the purists out there.

Install a Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor concept but in the Star Wars universe. They had cantinas, they could have comedy clubs.
    And they can cut costs even more by just showing the prequels over and over again. You'll be able to tell the fans - everyone else will be laughing.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! [/vader]

Pixar has DCA, and the Laugh Factory was a stupid idea in Florida, so no, we don't need another one. I would be okay with taking out Magic Eye Theater and opening things up. My ideas for Tomorrowland would have that out, Innoventions and the People Mover track so they could have real estate enough to do something new and fun. What exactly, I have no idea, but it would be better than just keeping things as they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast