Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Grateful Australian!

Thank you so much for everyone on this site who was helped my friend and I with our dilemma of getting to disneyland from west hollywood.
    We have found a different hostel that offers a shuttle to disneyland and back for $60 which we think is reasonable. It leaves at 8:30am and picks us up at 6:30pm which unfortunately means we will miss out on seeing world of colour and also it means that we we will have a relatively short day at the park
    Bit disappointed but also excited that at least we will get to see the park for a little while! Thanks so much again

Re: A Grateful Australian!

Did anyone else think this post was related to the "appalling experience at Disneyland" post?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1997 View Post
    Thank you so much for everyone on this site who was helped my friend and I with our dilemma of getting to disneyland from west hollywood.
    We have found a different hostel that offers a shuttle to disneyland and back for $60 which we think is reasonable. It leaves at 8:30am and picks us up at 6:30pm which unfortunately means we will miss out on seeing world of colour and also it means that we we will have a relatively short day at the park
    Bit disappointed but also excited that at least we will get to see the park for a little while! Thanks so much again
    Glad it worked out for you, Melbourne.

As the song says, "L.A. is a great big freeway….."

Even traveling within the city limits, be it from the airport to downtown, the Getty to Hollywood, Universal City to Santa Monica, brings on vast distances. And that doesn't even bring into discussion Burbank and other areas of the San Fernando Valley that are even further out.

It's a tough city to traverse without a car. And public transportation as you've heard is pretty complex and not always real convenient. Add traffic to the scene and it makes it even more complicated.

Have an awesome time.

Good to see another Melbournian on the site!

I'll be back to DLR in 2015 and can't wait!

Until then it is sitting back and complaining to the wife that "Melbourne sucks compared to Southern California!!!!!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald1927 View Post
    Did anyone else think this post was related to the "appalling experience at Disneyland" post?
    lol I did

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Good to see another Melbournian on the site!

I'll be back to DLR in 2015 and can't wait!

Until then it is sitting back and complaining to the wife that "Melbourne sucks compared to Southern California!!!!!"
    I was in Melbourne last week for my Christmas Holiday ... I loved it. Also drove the Great Ocean Road to the 12 Apostles. (I grew up in So Cal, lived there up until 5 years ago, live in Sydney, and discovered Melbourne for my first time). Melbourne may not have Disneyland, but it's got it's good points. I love the shopping arcades, and along the waterfronts .. .I love all the ultra modern (almost futuristic) buildings going up! Now I just want to envision monorails and peoplemovers connecting them all. So much new construction going on ... and Melbourne has FAR better light rail transport systems available that Sydney and LA and Orange County can only dream of having. Federation Square though ... that was one weird piece of modern architecture - I haven't quite figured out if I like it or not.

Hey, another point - At least in Melbourne (and the rest of Australia) you can get a proper coffee. You won't find a single place that can make a proper latte, cappuccino, or espresso. Not even in Disneyland! It's hopeless. And I prefer Australia's charming shopping arcades to orange county's generic cookie-cutter strip malls!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-08-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Melbourne architecture is dumb. We have a flying square cow.....dont as me why but we do. Federation square is an embarassment. I much prefer old buildings such as Grand Central Station and stuff.

I grew up down the great ocean road, so im a little desensitized to beaches.

Problem with Melbourne is that yes it has great restaurants but that means they are expensive, its also very up its self so you dont have fun places to eat like Hard Rock Cafe or any kind of themed restaurants.

Ive never understood why Melbourne is heralded for amazing shopping. Its soooooo expensive, i found Las Vegas to be the best place i have ever been for shopping. So many shops and a very low tax rate.

• Artistic integrity

I'm not saying Melbourne is perfect.

But after growing up, and living in Orange County with Disneyland 6 miles away for many years ... I can still appreciate what good Australian cities have over Orange County. Though ... if you've had DL and Knott's within a spits throw more than half your life .... You do get "home sick" for them at some stage.

Melbourne expensive? So is Sydney. All of Australia. From the eyes of an American that is. If you have 1000 dollars American money coming into Australia ... you'll find out .. it's worth about 500 with the prices of everything in Australia. If you are Australian .. taking your 1000 dollars into the US ... it's like it multiplies to 2000 or more ... because the economies between Australia and America are different. You can take a Chevy Caprice that will be 23,000 in America. GM distributes it to Holden in Australia .. puts a Commodore name plate on, and it's 46,000 dollars. 1 Australian dollar in the eyes of an American works more like 50 cents. But in reverse .. all Australians love how their dollar will work once in America.

I learned .. a job that pays 10 dollars an hour in the US .. pays 20-25 an hour in Australia. Adjust to Australian cost of living, which is double to America .. comes out about equal. Though .. I find Australia comes out a little ahead of American standard of living.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

im just complaining for the sake of complaining :P

we always want what we dont have!

Yes its hard to tell which is the cheaper place to live due to the dollar being quite close however Australians tend to earn more yet everything being more expensive. I'd say its pretty even. Its good to know that you think quality of living is better here. Might be just due to the Aussie can;t be bothered attitude :P

Build a Disneyland somewhere in Australia and I'll be happy (i think they should buy Dreamworld on the Gold COast and turn it into a disneyland because it was built as a disneyland clone in the first place! EVen has a mark twain rip off!)

• Artistic integrity

Its good to know that you think quality of living is better here. Might be just due to the Aussie can;t be bothered attitude :P
    That .. and developers are not allowed to tramp all over places ... where there are great walking trails .... around me ... if I want the amount of exercise I get .. but in OC .. I have to go to a gym .. and stare at a tv. Here ... I can listen to Cookabarras, Lorakeets, and at the moment sakadas .. to be close to nature .. and enjoy a walk among tall green trees in vast forested areas. You won't get that in LA or Orange County. Plus what's nice for Australians ... we can feel safer - tough gun laws. And we have socialized medicine. Something America may never see. So, I'm very grateful for that. Another thing. I figured it out. Petrol prices are cheaper for Australians. Works like this. In America ... what it is right now? About $4.50 a gallon? Australia is 1.50 per liter. At 4 liters to an American gallon .. that's 6 dollars a gallon. But to a person making 10 dollars an hour in the states ... that 6 per gallon is expensive. But that same job in Australia is 20-25 dollars an hour ... from the "American" perspective .. that 6 dollars a gallon would work out to 2.50 to maybe 3 dollars a gallon. Making it cheaper. But if an American decides to have a holiday in Australia ... it's going to sting ... in perspective to their U.S. salary.
    MY SIGNATURE:

youre right on all points!

Australia is indeed a great place to live.

I guess my $25 an hour wage makes traveling to Anaheim quite affordable :P

I must say though that as a Melbournian, i dont like Sydney folk (just kidding )!

(and to all thsoe reading this Petrol is Gas :P)

• Artistic integrity

youre right on all points!

Australia is indeed a great place to live.

I guess my $25 an hour wage makes traveling to Anaheim quite affordable :P

I must say though that as a Melbournian, i dont like Sydney folk (just kidding )!

(and to all thsoe reading this Petrol is Gas :P)

If you have American friends ... with the same type of job ... I bet they'll say ... their wage is about 10-12 an hour. Maybe 13 at best ... to your Australian $25 an hour.

You know ... exchange rate means little. Even while it's roughly at .90 to 1 US dollar .... the fact is ... If a stack of groceries cost 100 in Australia ... you can buy those same groceries in America for 30-50. You may loose 10 cents to a US dollar ... But since the cost of living to Australia's is half or less ... you're still going to have amazing buying power.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1997 View Post
    There are private buses that go to Disneyland. I provided two web sites in one of your other threads.
    And, there is still the Red Line to AMTRAK option that allows you to stay all day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    But if an American decides to have a holiday in Australia ... it's going to sting ... in perspective to their U.S. salary.
    Try vacationing in Canada. The exchange rate sting there too. I went there last year. Canada used to be cheap. The Canadian dollar is more valuable. If you don't like prices in Canada, you will like Australia even less.

• Murphy Lover

Cool Re: A Grateful Australian!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald1927 View Post

I did!
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast