Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Main Street Electrical Parade Returning 2015

Using the west side of Main Street is problematic since you have to force the crowd through the seating area for Refreshment Corner. The door on that side isn't all that wide either. The east side cannot be used as the parade would be parked on that side of the street.

It is really a terrible option to use, and should only be used as a last resort. It just turns out that the summer of Light Magic they were just that desperate to use it every day. That was just an exceptionally bad summer.

• Former Churro Jockey

I agree, I always wondered why they did it because it obviously was bad show and let the guests see things like the Jungle Cruise is actually right behind the west side stores of Main St (like 15 ft away). Not to mention the fact that backstage is dirty and relatively unthemed. I do think though they need to take that into consideration and redesign certain backstage areas so that they can be used as emergency traffic corridors and they will maintain appropriate show.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Honestly, if they ran the parade alternating nights with fantasmic, it could work as far as crowd control, but I still wonder how those floats will fit down the parade route.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by mrcobra92 View Post
    Honestly, if they ran the parade alternating nights with fantasmic, it could work as far as crowd control, but I still wonder how those floats will fit down the parade route.
    Run out the ropes a bit earlier and assign another lead level presence on the route with an extra CM or three to help maintain order. Keep the current flow of "'early" entertainers and roving ODV carts/vendors to maintain the appearance of street rather than seating. Then, the moment the parade's over, run those extra CMs (this is really why they're there) out to pull down the ropes from the newly available viewing areas on the street and reset staffing for fireworks.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

There was actually a terrible lesson learned during Light Magic: that having a night time parade before Fantasmic causes a huge nightmare of traffic as parade guests try to make it back up Main Street and Fantasmic guests try to head to the exit. This causes a backup as the two groups cannot pass each other. They tried to solve this when they ran the Mulan parade by running the first parade during the day, but that's not an option for MSEP.

If it was a problem for Light Magic and a problem for the Mulan parade, you have to believe it is a bigger issue now in a park that has more guests today than 15 years ago
    But MSEP ran twice nightly while Fantasmic! was running. The problem with Light Magic is that the nature of the show (rolling stages, lengthy show stops, and Mylar confetti that was impossible to remove) created the guest control nightmare.

Also, while there are more guests visiting the Resort today, on average disneyland's daily attendance was much higher in the early and mid 90's.

Global

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    The problem with Light Magic is that the nature of the show (rolling stages, lengthy show stops, and Mylar confetti that was impossible to remove) created the guest control nightmare.
    I thought the rolling vacuum carts solved the confetti part of it?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

As much as I absolutely adore the old parade, I fear Disneyland is really missing out by not going with a version of the new parade that hong Kong is getting... the interactive stuff could be amazing, and an all-LED set could make for some really cool animation.

Why not just bring it back to DCA? At least it would be back in California.

• Minion

I strongly believe it is going to return to Main Street USA for the 60th.

• YAY! SUMMER IS OVER!

I heard this rumor from someone who works in entertainment. It's supposed to come back for a while and get shipped to HKDL.
    MEOW.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Fan 1 View Post
    Why not just bring it back to DCA? At least it would be back in California.
    Ah, that makes sense ... with the parade route cutting through people lined up for World of Color. Even if they staggered WoC shows in between MSEP.

Meanwhile over in DL .. there are no nighttime parades, or entertainment venues that the MSEP would conflict with. Fantasmic is way over on the west side, a distance from the parade route.

I would welcome back the MSEP ... I loved it. I can't forget it's "Glowing Away" promotion in it's last year - 1996. Nor will I forget the final performance, which I attended .... As soon as the last float made it's right turn, away from the Small World parade exit ... everyone spontaneously burst into song to some popular rock song (don't remember the name) .. with "good bye" in the lyrics. Funny moment. Who says bursting into song is only in a Hollywood Movie?
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-09-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I will be 60 on September 13th, 2015 and that seems reason enough to me for the Parade to be there. I place complete trust in Disney's ability to manage the parade and the rest of the celebration.

Just thinking about the parade gives me cravings to play my Official Parade VHS tape...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I honestly wonder why they haven't just opened that up as a flex corridor on weekends/summers when Fantasmic is running. Make it one-way and you take care of so many issues with traffic.
    The last two times my fiance' and I were at DL (September and December), that backstage route was open during the parade. It wasn't much of a shortcut, quite honestly, as it still took a long time to navigate our way thru it (especially the second time, in which we were headed into the park rather than out of it).

I think having a night parade would actually stop people camping out in th hub for hours for the fireworks.

If you had say a 45 minute break between the parade and firworks you would rope off so everyone is on the footpaths while the parade is on.

Then after the parade you move all the ropes and allow people to enter the hub for the fireworks.

Would give everyone a decent chance of getting a good spot for the fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    As soon as the last float made it's right turn, away from the Small World parade exit ... everyone spontaneously burst into song to some popular rock song (don't remember the name) .. with "good bye" in the lyrics. Funny moment. Who says bursting into song is only in a Hollywood Movie?
    Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye (Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - YouTube)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast