Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Main Street Electrical Parade Returning 2015

Ok, I know this has been talked about multiple times before, but now we have a real source that shows it may FINALLY make a reappearance on Main Street in Disneyland. MiceChat - Disneyland Resort, Features, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Goat Hijinks, Jedi Mind Tricks and Rabbit HolesMiceChat I personally am excited about this (and wonder how those floats will ever fit down the parade route) but still very excited and hopeful of its return. What are your thoughts?

• Minion

Re: Main Street Electrical Parade Returning 2015

LOL MiceAge is the source??? LOL!!!

This is a rumor. It's not news until Disney announces it, and nothing's been announced. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    LOL MiceAge is the source??? LOL!!!

This is a rumor. It's not news until Disney announces it, and nothing's been announced. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Eh, at least it's something, we NEED a nighttime parade, the fireworks are boring.

• Mistress of Evil

Sorry, MiceAge does not count as an official Disney Announcement.

• Special Agent

MiceAge has probably said the Electrical Parade is retuning to Disneyland no less than 25 times over the last 15 years. They've definitely said this at least once a year.

And I don't necessarily fault them for that. I'm sure there is a lot of desire and nostalgia from park managers who would also like to see it come back, and want to let it be known. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but the real insight from MiceAge isn't a solid confirmation that it will indeed come back, but instead the undeniable fact that people at the park still want it to return.

The problem though has never been one of desire but logistics. The crowds at Disneyland have become so much bigger than they were in 1996, that it's hard enough to move traffic down Main Street as it is now without a parade. Hub centric firework shows have proven to be hugely popular with the guests and eat up the viewing area on Main Street. The fireworks also have more capacity for viewing than the parade, so swapping the fireworks for the parade would actually result in fewer people getting a show.

I am sure there are also issues with parade support, as Disneyland has taken on more shows and more entertainers in the last 20 years. Remounting the show would require a huge amount of retraining of Cast and reallocation of space in the parade float warehouse.

And at the end of the day all of these questions can be viewed against a backdrop of a parade that closed at Disneyland due to lack of interest. Toward the last few years there were few people willing to line up for the old parade as more technologically relevant shows took its place (fantasmic). Could the crowds really support MSEP in addition to Fantasmic, Fireworks, World of Color and Mad T Party, or would bring back MSEP be the death warrant for Fantasmic?

Lots of issues to figure out.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm not sure it will be as big of an issue as you think. Obviously they know how to handle parades since they do them every day. Doing a parade at night will be no different. They'll do it the same way that the do Fantasmic -- set it up for the parade, then have people stay there and watch the fireworks. The only difference is that there will be a longer delay between the parade and the fireworks if they stick with the original night parade times (I think 8:35PM was the time of the first ELP and I think 10:25PM was the second), although it might be smarter to have ELP and Fantasmic going at the exact same time to try and more evenly disperse the crowds. I'm not sure if they've demolished any parade warehouses since '96, but they used to have warehouses that could handle both the Electrical Parade and the Hercules parade, although not every float was housed indoors. I remember well walking around backstage and seeing both Hercules as well as ELP floats outside (especially the snails and bugs from ELP) that had their own custom designed tarps. Training the CM's will be no big deal because they fire all of the parade staff at the end of a season anyway and then they all have to reapply and be hired back in and retrained when they come back. The only issue will be the quality of the floats, but I'm sure from Disney's perspective rebuilding and repairing the floats and shipping them accross the country is a thousand times cheaper then building a new ride.

The only real question is what are they looking for in return by bringing it back? Are they looking for it to bring in people who would not otherwise have gone to Disneyland? If that's the case then it's never coming back, because the only people who are going to make a special trip to the park to see it are probably AP's. Are they bringing it back just to minimize complaints that there's nothing going on for the 60th birthday? If that's the case then I don't know if it will or not.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mrcobra92 View Post
    Eh, at least it's something, we NEED a nighttime parade, the fireworks are boring.
    If you're talking about Believe, then yes, I completely agree. I find both Remember and Magical to be entertaining, though.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Murphy Lover

Ok, I know this has been talked about multiple times before, but now we have a real source that shows it may FINALLY make a reappearance on Main Street in Disneyland. MiceChat - Disneyland Resort, Features, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Goat Hijinks, Jedi Mind Tricks and Rabbit HolesMiceChat I personally am excited about this (and wonder how those floats will ever fit down the parade route) but still very excited and hopeful of its return. What are your thoughts?
    I would love to see this parade again. I remember as a kid loving it. Then when they brought it back at DCA, I was able to enjoy this with my son. But he was so young then that he doesn't remember. I would love for it to come back, so he can enjoy it now!!

I agree!!! I love the "Remember" fireworks, I just wish they would play the whole thing, like they did during the 50th! "Magical" has got to go.. That fireworks show is so lame compared to "Remember" & "Halloween Screams."
    Last edited by Cadensmama07; 01-09-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'm not sure it will be as big of an issue as you think.
    All things considered it is probably far worse than even I can imagine. The current set up uses Main Street and the hub as the viewing area for the fireworks. They usually rope off the street about an hour before (8:30pm). If they have to run the parade down the street at 8:30 then they essentially lose the dedicated viewing area for the fireworks and thousands of guests have no where to go. Keeping the street roped off actually reduces the capacity of the park too.

There was actually a terrible lesson learned during Light Magic: that having a night time parade before Fantasmic causes a huge nightmare of traffic as parade guests try to make it back up Main Street and Fantasmic guests try to head to the exit. This causes a backup as the two groups cannot pass each other. They tried to solve this when they ran the Mulan parade by running the first parade during the day, but that's not an option for MSEP.

They can't really push the start time up to 8 since there is still daylight at 8pm during the summer months, and after fireworks they would be running the parade right into the incoming traffic from park hoppers letting out from World of Color.

If it was a problem for Light Magic and a problem for the Mulan parade, you have to believe it is a bigger issue now in a park that has more guests today than 15 years ago.

• Special Agent

Aother interesting note: the parade traffic issue could be less of a problem if they were still planning to build the arcades on Main Street.. But that's another MiceAge rumor that apparently didn't have any legs.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, during the ELP farewell season the park did hit capacity the last Saturday before it "glowed away forever", and we survied that okay. I think the solution would be to make the parade times, Fantasmic, and World of Color all the exact same times (9:00PM and 10:30PM), and make all of the park guests stay where they are in the viewing areas of the parade just like they do with Fantasmic to watch the fireworks.

I also worked on Main St many times during the Mulan Parade and Light Magic (not as guest control though, just on the Popcorn wagon at the hub or as a stocker), and the solution was to open up the backstage lane behind the west side of Main St for Fantasmic guests who wanted to exit the park. It worked fairly well. So maybe Disney could theme that backstage area a little bit better so it doesn't look so bad and then make it the regular nightly corridor for Fantasmic guests wanting to exit the park. It wouldn't take much, they just need to clean up the backside of the stores and hide the Jungle Cruise boats.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Special Agent

I think the solution would be to make the parade times, Fantasmic, and World of Color all the exact same times (9:00PM and 10:30PM), and make all of the park guests stay where they are in the viewing areas of the parade just like they do with Fantasmic to watch the fireworks.
    Well where would the firework audience go if they can't stage them on the parade route? You would have to eliminate the fireworks (or at least scale them back to the point that folks won't need to see them on Main Street).

And opening up the backstage gates is really just a failure of capacity at that point. Why plan to be so over capacity that you cannot safely manage the crowd. That would be a terrible way for the press to cover Disneyland's birthday.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Well where would the firework audience go if they can't stage them on the parade route? You would have to eliminate the fireworks (or at least scale them back to the point that folks won't need to see them on Main Street).

And opening up the backstage gates is really just a failure of capacity at that point. Why plan to be so over capacity that you cannot safely manage the crowd. That would be a terrible way for the press to cover Disneyland's birthday.
    They'd likely just not have a fireworks holding area and plan on just letting in to replace the likely handful leaving after the parade and not staying for the fireworks. I seem to remember that being done in the past.

As to the coverage, unless someone was injured or some famous person inconvenienced, it'd probably get covered as "thousands of jubilant Disneyland attendees" much more than "thousands forced down dirty maintenance corridors behind the scenes at Disneyland". Usually does.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

The parade view area becomes the fireworks viewing area and everyone just stays where they are. That's what they used to do. As for opening up backstage, Disney used to do it all the time. I haven't seen a parade since I stopped working there so I don't know if they still do today or not. There's a backstage route that leads from right between the round store in the Small World Mall area and the Kodak photo booth to the entrance to the Big Thunder Trail next to the Village Haus. Frequently I would be working back there making cotton candy for the Animazement shows and guest control would come by and tell us to clean up our area because they were going to be opening up the backstage route for park guests. During the summer it happened 3 or 4 times a week.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Not the Hawkguy

I also worked on Main St many times during the Mulan Parade and Light Magic (not as guest control though, just on the Popcorn wagon at the hub or as a stocker), and the solution was to open up the backstage lane behind the west side of Main St for Fantasmic guests who wanted to exit the park. It worked fairly well. So maybe Disney could theme that backstage area a little bit better so it doesn't look so bad and then make it the regular nightly corridor for Fantasmic guests wanting to exit the park. It wouldn't take much, they just need to clean up the backside of the stores and hide the Jungle Cruise boats.
    I honestly wonder why they haven't just opened that up as a flex corridor on weekends/summers when Fantasmic is running. Make it one-way and you take care of so many issues with traffic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast