Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: best way to get from LAX to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Does the Super Shuttle make stops along the way to pick up or drop people off?

If they do, then it takes longer.

You can't beat the big comfortable coach bus ... with a one way trip to the DLR before stopping off at any other hotel ........ for less than 25 dollars.
    They drop off other people in your van who are staying at hotels near yours. It's really not much longer. I fly into John Wayne and they usually only stop at two hotels near by the resort before mine it's really no trouble.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    They drop off other people in your van who are staying at hotels near yours. It's really not much longer. I fly into John Wayne and they usually only stop at two hotels near by the resort before mine it's really no trouble.
    Shared vans at LAX are a bit of a nightmare, though, because they spend so long trolling the airport for passengers. It's their policy to make two loops around the airport, and with each loop taking at least 20 minutes because the traffic within LAX is so bad...yeah. You don't even get out of the airport for 40 - 60 minutes. The last time I did a van, for instance, it was two hours. Only ONE of those hours was spent in transit; the other was spent circling the airport.

In contrast the Disneyland Express only makes one loop and then goes on its way.

• Artistic integrity

I've done the blue "Super Shuttle" vans ... a few times in the past. I'm done with them .. FOREVER! And I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I remember one time trying to get to LAX from Hollywood - what a nightmare! Stopping off at other people's homes .. picking them up ... before we were really on our way to the airport. You're trying to be at the airport at the time you are suppose to be .. biting your nails ... getting nervous .. as the trip is a rigmarole to pick up others .. elsewhere. A "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" ... except this isn't fantasy ... this is reality!

If saving 13 dollars to ride Super Shuttle over the Disneyland Resort Express is so important .. then I guess the person enjoys a real life "Mr. Toads Wild Ride".
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I'll add that I once took a shuttle from LAX, and Tomorrowland_1967's description of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" is putting it mildly! I don't think I've ever felt so unsafe in a vehicle. I know there's going to be variability from driver to driver, but in addition to all the stops, there was so much erratic driving and so many close calls that I intend to never ride one again! I'd definitely go with the big Express vehicle.

I've always taken shuttles, and the only other stops they made were other hotels right near the park, so it only added an extra 10 min. to the trip. Maybe it varies according to time of day or time of year or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Hey everyone, planning my next trip for 2/24-3/3 and was wondering what you all think is the best way (and cheapest) to get from LAX to Disneyland
    It all depends on the size of your group and how long you are willing for the drive to last.

As a PP said, transit is an option. However, you'll have to worry about appropriate fares, can't reserve in advance, luggage will be a pain, and the trip will be between 2 and 3 hours.

Disneyland Resort Express, they Gray Line coach service, is under $40 a person round-trip (it varies--they sometimes tack on an extra "fuel surcharge"), and is very comfortable. But they recently cut airport pickups back to once an hour, so if you miss a bus you'll waste an hour at the curb waiting for the next one.

SuperShuttle gets complaints on DLR fan boards because they often troll around the airport (and the hotel area) after they pick you up looking for unreserved fares to pick up, and that wastes time.

My partner and I switched to Karmel Shuttle after DRE cut their service back. Karmel is similar to SuperShuttle but only picks up pre-reserved fares. You generally share with one other group. They're around $45 a person round-trip. We couldn't believe how fast they were.

Avoid taxis. They're about $100 each way from LAX.
    WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | Moving to L.A. 2014!

LA Airways used to fly helicopters from LAX to Disneyland several times a day. They landed in the Disneyland Hotel parking lot. Believe the cost was around $20 each way. Too bad they stopped the service in the 1960's.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post

Avoid taxis. They're about $100 each way from LAX.
    But if you have several people to split the fair then it's a good deal and there is no faster way to the resort.

If you are going on your own I would recommend an advance purchase RT of the Disneyland Express bus -- you might save a few bucks -- but usually people get off at their hotels. Where are you staying?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

the days in a block or 2 south of Toy Story lot... its less the $54 a night which means its right in my budget range
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    LA Airways used to fly helicopters from LAX to Disneyland several times a day. They landed in the Disneyland Hotel parking lot. Believe the cost was around $20 each way. Too bad they stopped the service in the 1960's.
    Per passenger mile, helicopter travel is the least safe. That Disneyland to LAX route was no exception.

Los Angeles Airways Flight 417 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Shared vans at LAX are a bit of a nightmare, though, because they spend so long trolling the airport for passengers. It's their policy to make two loops around the airport, and with each loop taking at least 20 minutes because the traffic within LAX is so bad...yeah. You don't even get out of the airport for 40 - 60 minutes. The last time I did a van, for instance, it was two hours. Only ONE of those hours was spent in transit; the other was spent circling the airport.

In contrast the Disneyland Express only makes one loop and then goes on its way.
    That sounds horrible. I always fly into Orange County and once you arrive you check in and they send a Super Shuttle van to get you and you are out of there in 10 min.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post

They had a pretty good reason for stopping this service.....
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Thanks Darth, luckily I am only doing the parks... I may venture out of "the bubble" to go see Hollywood Babble-on, but I'd only do that if one of my friends wanted to go too. Also the interesting thing is that this will be my first trip completely on my own, no family, no school group, and no friends either. Since my last trip was with my then gf who spent maybe 1/5th of the trip with me, I need to eliminate those memories with 8 days of insane fun
    OMG, I would totally see Babble-On if I were you. Regardless of what your friends do, you should totally go.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mickey View Post
    I fly from Seattle to LAX and vacation with the family at Disneyland once or twice a year. We've been doing this for about 8 years and have a pretty good system in place for our trips.

We fly to LAX not only because it has the greatest number of flight options at usually the best prices, but the deciding factor for me is that I can always get the best rental car deals near LAX. Flying into Burbank, Long Beach or John Wayne the rental car deals tend to be nowhere near as good.

I rent a car because we like to visit the beaches and make trips from Anaheim up to the SF Valley to see friends. If you'll be spending the whole trip in Anaheim then you won't really need a rental car and you can be fine taking one of the shuttles from LAX and using public transport around Anaheim.

I always check MouseSavers for info on rental car deals and usually manage to get a Camry, Fusion, Malibu, Charger or similar car for less than $100 per week when I play my cards right. I usually use Alamo because they have good cars, good deals and their policy usually allows you to use a debit card for the rental without getting charged a ridiculous deposit as long as you are in town with a round-trip plane ticket.

If you do rent a car and are looking for the best driving route from LAX to Anaheim I offer you my patented best route with the usual caveats about this can depend on traffic, road construction, accidents and time of day:

Get on the 105 Freeway headed east to the 710 South.
    Next take the 91 East and use the carpool lane if you can to I5 south.
    After about 5 miles either take the carpool lane exit for Disneyland Drive if you are going straight to the parks and/or one of the Disney owned hotels or else take the Harbor Blvd or other appropriate exit for wherever you are staying in Anaheim.

The best part of this route is that it gives you a direct route with carpool lanes most of the way as well as maximum flexibility to take alternate routes should there be an accident blocking a freeway or some other traffic nightmare.

Cheers and best wishes on your trip. If you have any questions just let me know.
    For any car renters, you can also almost always get a better deal by renting your car from a NON-airport rental car location. Last time we rented from Hertz at the LAX Marriott, it saved us over $100 for a 5 day rental because we avoided the airport concession fee and their rates were just lower than they were for the same car at the airport. We could have used the Marriott shuttle from LAX to the hotel, but didn't want to wait so took a taxi for $15 (only that high because it has a minimum charge for the cab)... But we learned along time ago from travels to Disneyworld that you could always avoid the various airport concession charges and special tourist taxes by avoiding airport rental kiosks... and for the most part we have always been able to return the cars to the airport rental lot so it is just as easy on the return as it would be if you had rented at the airport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast