Lightbulb A different take on the World Showcase as a DL 3rd gate?

I know that the third gate ideas are getting a bit long in the tooth, but I thought I'd throw this out there as an idea.

Most people seem to agree that NOS is one of the greatest themed environments ever created by Disney. I'd argue that this is due not only to the detail of the area, but the intimacy and sense of discovery and surprise through the meandering paths (though recent renovations are reducing this). I think the is also seen in the side streets off of Main Street (and, to a lesser extent, the Morocco pavilion at Epcot in WDW). What if Disney expanded this concept to a whole park, using cities (as opposed to countries) for guests to explore. There would obviously have to be a few wider areas for crowd control (boulevards in Paris, waterfront areas, etc.), but keep the intimate, winding feel of NOS for most of the park. I'd love to explore Paris, London, Istanbul, NYC, Tokyo, Seoul, Rio, Cape Town, Delhi, Moscow, Beijing, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Moscow, etc. in a Disney park. Thoughts?
    Last edited by lasttuesday; 01-12-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: A different take on the World Showcase as a DL 3rd gate?

I'm familiar with the history of WestCOT (followed it religiously- as much as I could without the extensive internet access we enjoy today- through its development and was sorely disappointed when it didn't come to fruition). I guess what I'm proposing is a sort of anti-WestCOT (which seems weird following that first sentence), in that instead of being grand and soaring vistas (similar to Epcot as well) it would have more intimate, discovery-around-the-corner and winding-streets feel. (I used a lot of parenthesis in this post!)

• formerly very helpful

I don't know if that's completely the idea I would go with, but what I really like about it is that it is an idea that would be heavy on creating an immersion and a sense of truly being in a different time and place. That has always been my favorite aspect of Disney parks, and that ha been lacking from some of the ideas I've read about for a third gate.

• Under that tree again!

I wonder if DCA has killed the idea of getting a park about places.

We already visit California and its regions. So we don't need another park about visiting locations.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

I would have loved to have WestCOT at the Disneyland Resort. Some of those attraction ideas that were considered sounded very cool too. Especially that ATIS-like attraction they mentioned. And the world showcase would have been neat too, leaving the park open for some interesting attraction ideas as well. Even if they had been modeled somewhat after those in FL.

I do like your idea of a 3rd gate dedicated to different cities though. Imagineers could likewise come up with some interesting attraction ideas for such a park too, including some unique shops and dining experiences.

It's possible though (as was posited), DCA already being a location-based park might hinder such an idea.

I still like it.

• All-American

Sounds great! I think it's definitely the intimacy and windiness of the walkways that gives NOS its feel. Although I agree that it'd be great to see more Disney parks incorporate that type of space, it might become problematic if applied on a scale of a whole theme park. Many thoroughfares in a theme park require wide walkways, for high crowdflow (think Main Street, the Hub, the main Tomorrowland avenue, Cars Land... imagine if these spaces were any narrower). Even if you could build parallel narrow walkways to distribute crowds in a certain land, sometimes you need visual openness to establish a sense of where you are ("oh, we're back on the main path now", etc.) so that guests don't simply get lost.

In many ways, I think Epcot actually got it right. The World Showcase itself is one wide circular pathway, but as you leave the pathway and go deeper into each pavilion (and to where the average guest doesn't make it as far), you'll eventually find the spaces become narrower and more intimate - France, Morocco, Canada, and China for example all do this, for example.

A Chinatown for DCA, or perhaps a more Film Noir-focused expansion of Hollywoodland, might be interesting applications for this type of idea.

Interesting discussion!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I wonder if DCA has killed the idea of getting a park about places.

We already visit California and its regions. So we don't need another park about visiting locations.
    Epcot didn't kill DAK so i doubt it.

I really like this idea. Would be nice to have single cities than a hodge podge of diffeent places into one country land.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Personally I'm not that keen on Disney recreating international cities, but I do very much like your idea of intimacy and immersion in the feel of a park. I'd rather have Disney create its own unique made-up locale though, not simply do a representation of a city that already exists in the world. I do appreciate the World Showcase, New Orleans Square, and Hollywood Boulevard at DHS, but for me personally I like the fantasy, imagination inspired environments that Disney creates (Sleeping Beauty Castle, the facade/queue area of Little Mermaid at MK, etc).

• Nutty about Disney parks

No Westcot please. It's redundant enough that we have 2.5 copies of the Studios. But the original Epcot failed because guests didn't find the concept of an educational park appealing. I'd rather see some of Westcot's ideas used to fix the current Epcot. It should be the only park of its kind.

It should be a string of hotels with shopping and dinning not a 3rd gate

• Minion

I'd prefer something completely unique.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land