Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The doctor is in

The best and worst times to visit

We all have our favorite times of the year to visit. However, we do also have our least favorite times to visit. Which times of year would you say are your favorite and least favorite? Why?

My favorites:

• Early March just before Spring Break hits - The weather is usually nice, the crowds are low, the extended hours have already started, and most of the attractions are open.
    • Halloweentime -I just love Halloween. It's not quite s crowded as the Christmas season is, the decorations are awesome, and I love Haunted Mansion Holiday.
    • Pretty much any off-season time (self explanatory)

Least favorites:

• Thanksgiving through New Years - I did Thanksgiving once and said never again. It is just too crowded for my taste.
    • Grad Nights - May through June is now on my hit list because of Grad Nights. I can't encourage people enough to avoid these nights at all costs. By far the worst trip I have ever endured. It's a shame because the weather is beautiful.
    • July through Labor Day - High crowds, hot weather, prices are higher for airfare and hotel, etc.. I just avoid the Summer if I can help it.
    • Holidays in general (self explanatory)
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

Re: The best and worst times to visit

Favorites:

Mid January- February, Late August

Least favorite:

Halloween-New Years- too busy for me

We went in September right after Labour Day. Disneyland is always busy, but it wasn't that bad, I thought. Never waited too long for a ride. We used the fastpass wisely and on the Matterhorn we went on the "single rider" line.

• Selfie Expert

Best:
    February, September (if it's not super hot), Early October, first week of December

Worst:
    Mid December through New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Summer

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Best time to be there: ANYTIME

Worst time: Uuummm... Hmmm...

Seriously though, we always go at the last two weeks of August. I have kids, and they have to be in school by early September. I've found that in the last two weeks of August, the crowds lessen dramatically, because the local (SoCal) kids go back to school mid-August. We found this out, about 5 years ago. We were there on the second week of August, and it was packed through the weekend... then on Monday we head to the park, and it was like a ghost-town. Well, not really... but the crowds were dramatically less. So much so, that I asked the lady at the front gate what was going on? (I thought the park wasn't open yet). She told me; "oh, the local kids went back to school today". So, from that point on, we've always booked our holiday for the last two weeks of August.

I also like to go at Christmas (a couple weeks before Christmas). Same thing, if you go around December 5th, you get there before the school crowds arrive. We try to get there on the weekend that the Candlelight Processional is, and stay for that week. This past year it was on December 7th & 8th. Other than those two days, you don't have to deal with massive crowds, and you get to experience Disneyland at Christmas (which is amazing!)

Honestly... I can't think of a time when I've not enjoyed it, so I have no comment on the 'worst time'.

•   
    • Minion

Favorites:

1. Midweek during Halloween Time
    2. Winter from Jan - March

Least favorites:

1. Any Grad Nite, ever
    2. December - New Year's
    3. Around any holiday when schools are out
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Aw, poo. I wanted to go for my birthday in July. Is it really that bad?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by FaireBrat View Post
    For me July isn't my favorite time of year to visit, but if you want to go then you should. Just be prepared for more crowds and potentially hot/humid weather.

The last time I went in the summer I was 17-years old. It was over 100 degrees with 90% humidity. Add that on top of a crowd index of 90. I remember waiting for Indiana Jones for like 90min that day. That was a pretty average wait time the entire day. I wound up having to visit First Aid for heatstroke. I was on a bed with ice packs on my wrists and forehead for like an hour.

• Mistress of Evil

I guess I have a different take... I think any day at DP is better than not being there, so I just take what I can get. Granted, I try and book trips during times I think crowds will be lower, like the last week of April or early or late October.
    I was born and raised 3 miles from DLR. I worked at Star Trader when I was in High School and I remember one night, during the fireworks, I swore I would never visit during the summer because it was just too crowded.....
    Fast forward to last year and I was heading down to So Cal to visit family for the holidays. With BTMRR closing for a very, very long time, I made a point to visit on Jan 2 and 3. I knew it would be insanely busy, but we still managed to have a good time. When July rolled around, we were heading down for the 4th of July. I figured since I survived over New Years week, I could handle summer. We went July 1 and 2, and the crowds were surprisingly not bad at all. I am planning a trip now in August this summer. I love the longer hours and full entertainment offerings summer has.
    Stay away from Grad Nights though...
    Also mid January - Early February is not a time I would like to visit...too many closures...Wasn't it dubbed the World of Closure?

this thread could be a little confusing for folks who visit Micechat and seek insight for trip planning info. The Title is best and worst times yet the content header is favorite time of the year, which are two different concepts for visiting the parks.

I found that visiting the last week of Feb/early March had pretty low crowds, as did the last week of April, after the Spring Break crush was over. Late April was the best because they still had longer hours and nothing shut down for refurbs but the crowds weren't there and grad nights hadn't started.

• Not the Fallen

I love visiting in January, February, and April.
    If you want to see an empty park, and don't mind inclement weather, go when it is pouring. I was able to ride POTC, Indy, and HM numerous times during a storm. I don't think many of us SoCal residents can handle the rain. ;-)

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    this thread could be a little confusing for folks who visit Micechat and seek insight for trip planning info. The Title is best and worst times yet the content header is favorite time of the year, which are two different concepts for visiting the parks.
    That's why I put the "fun" tag on the thread. I also figured when you open the thread and read it that the topic would be self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by FaireBrat View Post
    I have been in July many times and I have never found it to be overwhelming heat-wise or crowd-wise. However, those 2 things are extremely subjective. I actually like to go in the summer because most, if not all, of the rides are up and running, as well as all of the other activities in the park. I will say that my goal has never been to run from ride to ride, so my perception of July being a perfectly good time to go may not be relevant to you. I don't really get bent out of shape over long lines, though I also usually never get in a line that is over 45-60 minutes. Having said that, we almost always get Space Mountain (with FP), Indiana Jones (with FP), Haunted Mansion, BTRR, matterhorn and a bunch of the dark rides in easily and still have time to run over to DCA for Screaming and Soaring with time to spare to sit for some music performances and fireworks.

rides up and running,.....the list of refurbs for the next three months would make me visit any christmas week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast