• Minion

Original Disneyland stores

Being almost 50, I can remember shops at Disneyland over the years that sold more original souvenirs. The Pieces of Eight store in NOS and the Pendleton store in Frontierland are two I can remember.

Does anyone remember what kinds of souvenirs the Pieces of Eight store sold?

Are there any other NOS stores that are no longer with us that sold more original items, as well?

How about in other lands of the park?

• Minion

Re: Original Disneyland stores

Do they still have the glassblower in New Orleans Square? That fascinated me.

Mineral Hall in Frontierland, which is now where Rancho de Zocalo restaurant is, sold black lights and fluorescent items including rock samples and a Tinkerbell wand. The upstairs window of the building is inscribed "Mineral Hall" now.

The Magic Shop on Main Street was great fun. I remember buying 2 Haunted Mansion portrait cards, which were pictures from the portrait hallway in the Mansion, but overprinted with glow-in-the-dark ink with ghoulish faces. If you flashed the light in the room on and off you got an approximation of the portraits in the Mansion.

The Upjohn Pharmacy on Main Street had a jar with live leeches, which creeped us out.

This wasn't a store, I think it was outside in Fantasyland, but the first time I got a Mickey ears hat, my name was stitched onto it by a live operator using a sewing machine - not computerized like they do now.

• Hooterville, USA

When I was a kid there were two magic shops. I bought my first ever magic trick there.

The Pendleton store was my favorite because it always smelled so good, kind of like how POTC smells good to me.

Then there was the Villains shop.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

There was also the 'One of a Kind' shop, and a gourmet food and kitchen wares type shop, both in NOS.

What about the Bazaar in Adventureland? It used to carry unique stuff.
    I loved the glassblower in NOS. When I was little I always got a small figure for my mom.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    What about the Bazaar in Adventureland? It used to carry unique stuff.
    I loved the glassblower in NOS. When I was little I always got a small figure for my mom.
    When are they ever going to blow another castle? It's been a lot of years since they sold the last one.

the shop outside of pirates is still called pieces of eight

• Donald's #1 Fan

My 50th anniversary DL limited edition leather jacket... was bought on the Disney Store online, because the park's merchandise was cheap and ugly How sad is that!

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    My 50th anniversary DL limited edition leather jacket... was bought on the Disney Store online, because the park's merchandise was cheap and ugly How sad is that!
    You can buy lots of DL merchandise at Walmart. How sad is that?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    the shop outside of pirates is still called pieces of eight
    That's a big oversight on my part. Did it used to sell different goods than it does now? Or is the store a more recent addition to NOS and I just thought it was always there?

I do remember the One of a Kind shop. Vaguely. I think I remember it selling some original things.

Of course the old Character Shop in Tomorrowland too. I remember that being more park and character-related souvenirs, but it was a cool store too.

And I seem to remember some shops in and around the castle but can't remember what they sold.

Thanks for the contributions. Good memories.

• Minion

I remember when Geppetto's Toy Shop (where Frozen Meet n Greet is now) used to actually sell *gasp* cuckoo clocks, dolls (custom made dolls, even), and marionettes. Then they turned it into a store that sold light up crystals, then a candy store with walls lined with Goofy's Candy Co. Sour Gummies, and shortly after into a Rapunzel Meet n Greet.

• Minion

Wasn't there a clock shop on Main Street that sold German cuckoo clocks? I think it was the first place I ever saw a cuckoo clock. Or am I just Imagineering that...

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    You can buy lots of DL merchandise at Walmart. How sad is that?
    So sad, I remember when grandma used to visit she bought us stuff that we couldn't even imagine.

The only thing I bought this time was an Indiana Jones hat, which I had wanted for a LOOOONG time. I haven't seen that one, the Mad Hatter or Jack Sparrow's hat. I guess those count as originals...

One of my first Breyer model horse sets came from the Pioneer Merchantile in Frontierland. Back in the early 80's, they used to have a whole wall behind the counter filled with them.
    The oldest nutcracker in my mom's collection came from the Geppetto Shop. It was made in West Germany and still bears a DL price tag!
    I really miss the wide variety of merchandise that DL used to carry. Especially the non Disney merchandise. A merchandise strategy of stocking stores with a mix of Disney and non Disney, (but themed appropriate) merchandise would be a welcome change.