Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frozen Musical Update

Hey everyone

I know there has been some discussion in the past few weeks on a possible Frozen musical coming to DCA. Well, this is just to piggy-back off those discussions with some recent articles that came out today from BroadwayWorld and Playbill. Apparently it has been confirmed by Disney that a Frozen musical stage show IS being developed. However, it is not determined if the show will be heading to the theme park or Broadway. It also looks like a Frozen sequel is in the works as well.

Playbill reports:

"Disney is in the early stages of developing its hit, Golden Globe Award-winning animated musical "Frozen" for the stage, according to Deadline.com.Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger hinted at a potential stage premiere for "Frozen" in a recent interview with Fortune Magazine. "We're not demanding speed. We're demanding excellence," Iger said of the musical's development.
    Disney later confirmed to EW that the project was in development, but it has not been determined whether the musical will be aimed for Broadway or one of Disney's theme parks."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/186415-Disney-Developing-Animated-Musical-Frozen-for-the-Stage?tsrc=hph

BroadwayWorld reports:

"In an interview with Fortune magazine,Disney CEO Bob Iger gushed over the success of the company's newest animated hit FROZEN, currently heating up both domestic and global box offices. The exec called the animated musical, "my proudest moment as the CEO of the WaltDisney Company."
    Iger also revealed to Fortune that a stage version of the film, which features voice overs from Broadway stars Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff and Josh Gad, is currently under discussion at the House of Mouse, however no time frame has been set for the project. "We're not demanding speed...We're demanding excellence," Iger explained.
    In addition, movie audiences may soon be treated to a sequel of the Nordic-themed saga, following strong sales of licensed toys based on the film. Iger says the "exhilaration" from the studio's success "was profound", particularly after several disappointing animated endeavors released in recent years, including 2009's The Princess and the Frog.
    "It's not about the bottom line. The bottom line is for the quarter. This is for something bigger and longer," he reflects, adding "If you think long term about what Disney is and the success and the vitality of the brand, this is a very, very important event."

Disney's Bob Iger Confirms Talks for FROZEN Sequel, Broadway Show!

Re: Frozen Musical Update

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    In addition, movie audiences may soon be treated to a sequel of the Nordic-themed saga, following strong sales of licensed toys based on the film. Iger says the "exhilaration" from the studio's success "was profound", particularly after several disappointing animated endeavors released in recent years, including 2009's The Princess and the Frog.
    "It's not about the bottom line. The bottom line is for the quarter. This is for something bigger and longer," he reflects, adding "If you think long term about what Disney is and the success and the vitality of the brand, this is a very, very important event."
    Sequel? Eesh... That's been a dangerous path for Disney princesses: in terms of quality, not financially, as all of those horrible straight to dvds made enough money to justify more of that garbage... Really liked the movie, don't know how to feel about that.

As for a musical, looking forward to it :-)

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

The thought of a prequel made me cringe a bit... I was hoping for short films like "Tangled Ever After". I will reserve judgement until the film is released. And I really hope the Frozen Broadway show comes to the Hyperion!

• Disneyland History Lover

I'd rather they not focus on a sequel, as those characters' stories were told very nicely from beginning to end. I think a route in which they focused on more quality and character-driven films would be the way to go without repeating past successes.

As far as the musical goes, it's quite exciting that they're trying to adapt it as such.

• Heavy Breather

Sequel: Noooooooooo
    Stage Show: Yes!! Yes!!

• Singing Drinker

As to the sequel - just watch for what branch is handling it. Feature animation? Maybe. Disneytoons? Start preparing for the ocean of Frozen fan tears.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Warm Hugging Anna

Yeah I'm not to kine about a sequel myself. I did like Little Mermaid 2 and Cinderella 3 but any other sequels I didn't like. I don't mine a mini series but not to much on a part 2. I hope they do the Broadway is at DLand I would see that for sure.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I was thinking today if they do a sequel I would not mind it taking place with Tangled Characters too....why not both films did well and exist in the same world
    Would also be the first time we see two princess in a movie from different kingdoms

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I was thinking today if they do a sequel I would not mind it taking place with Tangled Characters too....why not both films did well and exist in the same world
    Would also be the first time we see two princess in a movie from different kingdoms
    this makes me think of a Princess Avengers... I would see it but it would feel ridiculous lol
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

Please don't make a sequel Disney.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

SEQUEL? oy....smh
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'd actually be really ok with this. Provided that it is a musical.

Not sure where you go from the last two movies. They all ended at Happily Ever After.

• No Light, No Light

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Sequel: Noooooooooo
    Stage Show: Yes!! Yes!!
    Same here.

Another article from Broadway.com confirming Disney is adapting a Broadway show...

"File this under best news ever: Walt Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger knows the entire world has (rightfully!) fallen in love with the studio's Golden Globe-winning feature Frozen, so what does he want to do next? Take it to Broadway, of course! According to Fortunemagazine, the hit animated film will follow in the huge footprints ofThe Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid andAladdin, and head on over to the Great White Way. Disney Theatrical Productions also confirmed that Frozen is in early development for the stage.

"We're not demanding speed," Iger told Fortune. "We're demanding excellence." Frozen, which has already grossed $669 million at the box office, is loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen, and features the voices of Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel,Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad and Santino Fontana. The film tells the story of a spunky princess who sets off on an epic journey alongside a rugged, thrill-seeking mountain man, his loyal pet reindeer, and a magical talking snowman to find her estranged sister, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom in eternal winter.

The score for Frozen, which is co-written by Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon Tony winner Robert Lopez and his wife Kristen Anderson-Lopez, features a slew of wonderful and unforgettable songs, including "Let It Go," "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?," "Love is an Open Door" and "Fixer Upper." Frozen is only the fourth animated film soundtrack to reach No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Even Beyoncé was no match for the unflappable Frozen.

No time frame has been set for the Broadway adaptation of the sure-to-be Oscar-nominated flick, but that doesn't mean we can't already begin dream casting the musical and fantasizing over how the theater maestros will bring Elsa's snow magic, the Valley of the Living Rock, the North Mountain and, most importantly, Olaf and Marshmallow to life. Let your imaginations run wild!"

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/174011/dreams-do-come-true-disney-confirms-broadway-plans-for-hit-movie-frozen/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast