Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Red Face Social Clubs - Interview with Main Street Elites

Hi All, I know this is a contentious topic and has caused threads to be locked, but I heard an interview with "The Cap'n" from the Main Street Elites on the EarzUp! Podcast last week.

Disneyland Social Clubs • EarzUp!

Regardless of where you stand on the issue it was nice to hear the perspective of a member "straight form the mouse's mouth".

Cheers,
    Gloves

• Singing Drinker

Re: Social Clubs - Interview with Main Street Elites

Eh, this has been a dead topic since the one thread you allude to. Is this the same interview that was being touted that few months ago? I know there have been a couple other, always kinda wondered if it was an aggressive, coordinated PR push on behalf of the SCs, a group of blogs seizing on a topic and promoting it, or a combo of both.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

The thread was locked only 2ish months ago, so I thought it still may be relevant. This interview was a week or so ago so it may be new info. Just my .02

A great propaganda piece. This part of the intro made us laugh here in the break room today...

"The entire thing was fascinating to us and sort of restored our ideals of the Disneyland fan. Meaning, you dont have to have all the collectables, all the knowledge, or all the things in general. All you need is a good group of friends and love for the parks, and the Elites have that, for sure."

The Elites also have multiple DAS cards for themselves and five of their closest Elite friends. That also helps their visits go so well, and keeps their love of the parks so strong. Not just the Elites are using the multiple DAS card trick, several other Social Clubs have been seen using them liberally at all the popular rides. But CM's now equate Social Club group with DAS Card group, so no wonder they have such a "love for the park".

Name:  tumblr_muj6rwhfAo1skd3jdo1_500.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  49.5 KB

It's not the standing around in skinny jeans and pompadours, or kneeling on Main Street for photos that aggravates the disability. It's the waiting in Standby lines that does it.

Cool. I'm glad I brought this here as the Podcast Interview introduced me to social clubs and I wanted to know more. Sounds a little sketch. Thanks for the insight.

I haven't been to the park in about a year, and I can't actually remember the SC's being there before that time. I find the whole phenomena fascinating. Looks like there are a lot of people who aren't fan's of them. I can't wait for my next trip to see for myself.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    It's not the standing around in skinny jeans and pompadours, or kneeling on Main Street for photos that aggravates the disability. It's the waiting in Standby lines that does it.

Rebels without a queue

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey DeBunny View Post
    I haven't been to the park in about a year, and I can't actually remember the SC's being there before that time. I find the whole phenomena fascinating. Looks like there are a lot of people who aren't fan's of them. I can't wait for my next trip to see for myself.
    Meh, just another group of "Look at me's".
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey DeBunny View Post
    I find the whole phenomena fascinating. Looks like there are a lot of people who aren't fan's of them. I can't wait for my next trip to see for myself.
    A Social Club merely devolves into typical group behavior at a place they visit frequently. CM's are really getting tired of them, and I know management is watching them closely to see how this develops.

Sometimes they just stand around in groups with matching vests talking and hanging out, which is harmless. And some of the group names really are quite clever. (Walt's Wanderers is my favorite)

But increasingly they are becoming boorish and obnoxious. And it's not just the rampant use of DAS Cards for all their fellow club members.

Lately they've been known to disembark a ride en masse, and then stand on the unload dock in a group loudly welcoming back other random guests in trailing vehicles; they do an exaggerated act of what the Unload CM is supposed to be doing, half mocking the CM and just generally getting in the way and confusing other people. It's annoying, but since they come to the park so often that's apparently how they keep themselves entertained now.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

Rebels without a queue
    That just cracked up the whole break room! We're going to use that line, if you don't mind.

DAS card abuse conversations aside, I think the hate for SC's is petty. I haven't heard any substantive points made about why they deserve it. Even if they're elitist...so what? People feel excluded perhaps, I don't know. But there's no reason to hate a group for wanting to express themselves, and express their love for Disneyland. What could possibly be wrong with that? Is it so wrong to want to feel like you belong to something?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Here's my 2 cents

"DAS card abuse aside" isn't that enough? and there's nothing wrong with being an elitist, it's elitist behavior that would be a problem and I believe they're expressing that.

now maybe this thread has enough traction that I can pop some popcorn and get a soda and see where this goes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    "DAS card abuse aside" isn't that enough? and there's nothing wrong with being an elitist, it's elitist behavior that would be a problem and I believe they're expressing that.

now maybe this thread has enough traction that I can pop some popcorn and get a soda and see where this goes
    It HAS been a few weeks since a thread got Litterboxed... *grabs some kettlecorn and a Bengal skewer, pulls up chair*
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• I'm not really here

SCs aren't a problem in and of themselves. I think it is awesome if a group of friends forms that likes to go and hang out at Disneyland.

The problem comes when a group begins to interfere with regular operation of the parks. If they want to pick up garbage they see lying around, awesome. Begin to tell people they should throw away their own garbage and you have crossed a line. Not your job to do. Want to ride rides as a group? Awesome, and a lot of fun speaking from experience. Standing at the exit and welcoming people back? Interferes with normal operations, blocks pathways and exits (could be a hazard).

Like I said, there is a line that needs to be paid attention to. Are you there having fun for you? Or is what you are doing interfering with someone else (CM or guest) in any way. Even if you think it is a positive way, will it be perceived by others that way. Courtesy and tact often enter in here. Those that are just there to have fun, ride rides and enjoy Disney for themselves, great! The more the merrier. Those that want to police the park, or "participate" in it in some way need to tone it down and let those with jobs do them, and others enjoy it for themselves.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

How could you control such groups? I don't think that DL can really ban them with any efficiency. I think that they should embrace them, and try to find a way to steer them more towards helpful actions, and away from interfering actions.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast