Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd Bday dinner restaurant choice

We are going to DLR 4/1--4/5. My sons 3rd bday is on Friday 4/4. I figure it will be pretty busy with the spring break crowd in full effect. Our group is 4 adults, 2 three year-old and an infant. I was thinking Carthay Circle for an early bday dinner. I figured the reserved seating for WOC would be a nice convenience on a busy Friday night. Is the atmosphere at CC inappropriate for such young children. All 3 kids are well behaved, but I would hate to ruin other people's experiences if the scene isn't right for youngsters. If not CC, maybe another restaurant option. It would be on the earlier side of the dinner hour, maybe 5:30ish.

TIA

• Singing Drinker

Re: 3rd Bday dinner restaurant choice

So long as you remember to respect those around you if your children can't handle it, you shouldn't run into major issues.

Think of it like an upscale dinner. If they can be expected to behave themselves on a hyper day in that kind of atmosphere (keep in mind a full day at the park means they won't be at calm and rested behavior levels) then you shouldn't have a problem, and being willing to address behavior issues out of earshot of the rest of the diners would likely keep things from ruining anyone else's day.

That being said, don't cuss your kid out in the bathroom. Like, seriously. It's bad form. Yes, I just overheard this at a local restaurant recently.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Here's my 2 cents

Thank you for being so considerate of others regarding the Carthay. It can go both ways there, it is after all a theme park so it sohouldnt be a surpize to anyone when there are families enjoying CC along with well dressed adults on an evening out, heck, Ive seen families in shorts and rafting sandals dinning at the Napa Rose!

all that being said, did u consider the WoC dinning pacakage at the Trattoria? three course prix fixe menu that includes tickets for preffered viewing of WoC. Seating upstairs with a great view of DCA and the food is pretty good I think it was $41-$42pp, kids under 10 get a different menu
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Here's my 2 cents

• formerly very helpful

My daughter who was 7 at the time didn't like Carthay, and thought it was too much for adults, but my 9 year old liked it. They don't have an extensive children's menu, but you can check that out to see if they have what your kids would like.

Another way of doing it would be to go totally kid, and take in a character meal. If they like characters, Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel has a character meal.
    There's also Ariel's Grotto in DCA. I know you said you have boys, but they still may like the princess meal. Every kid is different. This is also good for some children (like when my daughter was very young) who may be scared of the characters who wear big masks like Goofy and Mickey.

I think they used to have birthday meals specifically at the Plaza Inn in Disneyland, but I'm not sure. YOu'd have to check on that.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    My daughter who was 7 at the time didn't like Carthay, and thought it was too much for adults, but my 9 year old liked it. They don't have an extensive children's menu, but you can check that out to see if they have what your kids would like.

Another way of doing it would be to go totally kid, and take in a character meal. If they like characters, Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel has a character meal.
    There's also Ariel's Grotto in DCA. I know you said you have boys, but they still may like the princess meal. Every kid is different. This is also good for some children (like when my daughter was very young) who may be scared of the characters who wear big masks like Goofy and Mickey.

I think they used to have birthday meals specifically at the Plaza Inn in Disneyland, but I'm not sure. YOu'd have to check on that.
    They don't list the birthday event specifically on the DL website any longer - there's a morning Character Breakfast though. I'd presume you could probably arrange something, but it doesn't sound like it's still the birthday-centric location it was for a while there.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Very helpful feedback, as usual. Our plan would be to do a park in the morning/afternoon (whichever has the Magic hour) and then head back to the hotel for some rest and down time and then straight to an early dinner and an evening of park entertainment. This should mitigate most crankiness and hyper-ness(?). Plus, I'm assuming most adult romantic dinners are on the later side ;-)

A character meal will certainly be in the plans. Most likely Goofys kitchen since its at our hotel.

Our last trip, in Dec '13, was the first trip we had taken to DLR in over a decade. We didn't do too much research and as a result ended up eating very mediocre food...burritos from Jo's Togo, room service and frontier land food court. Flo's V8 was a nice bfast and our favorite meal, mostly due to the ambiance and setting. We definitely want to eat better on this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    did u consider the WoC dinning pacakage at the Trattoria? three course prix fixe menu that includes tickets for preffered viewing of WoC. Seating upstairs with a great view of DCA and the food is pretty good I think it was $41-$42pp, kids under 10 get a different menu

This looks like a better option for the bday dinner with the whole group! Thanks!

It should work out that each couple gets a late night out with the other couple watching the kids...so maybe Carthay Circle for our late dinner...and we'll we if any misbehaving kids ruin the ambiance ;-)

I too think that Carthay might be a little too sophisticated for a 3 year old. Goofy's Kitchen is a perfect alternative as it's buffet style with plenty of kid friendly foods, and all of the characters are walking around.
    The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!

Quote Originally Posted by Amahal420 View Post
    Very helpful feedback, as usual. Our plan would be to do a park in the morning/afternoon (whichever has the Magic hour) and then head back to the hotel for some rest and down time and then straight to an early dinner and an evening of park entertainment. This should mitigate most crankiness and hyper-ness(?). Plus, I'm assuming most adult romantic dinners are on the later side ;-)

A character meal will certainly be in the plans. Most likely Goofys kitchen since its at our hotel.

Our last trip, in Dec '13, was the first trip we had taken to DLR in over a decade. We didn't do too much research and as a result ended up eating very mediocre food...burritos from Jo's Togo, room service and frontier land food court. Flo's V8 was a nice bfast and our favorite meal, mostly due to the ambiance and setting. We definitely want to eat better on this trip!
    FYI this is exactly what happened to us!

We missed out on so many nice dining places and had dinner in our room one night. URGH

I have our trip for 2015's food pretty much all planned lol

it includes:

Lunch at Plaza Inn
    Corndogs!
    Lunch at Wine COuntry
    Dinner at Carthay Circle
    Breakfast at Goofy's
    Village Haus for lunch
    Blue Bayou for DInner
    Breakfest at Riverbelle terrace
    Cafe Orleans for lunch
    and Napolini for dinner!

Gonna be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fat

HaHa!! With the exception of us having lunch at Blue Bayou (gotta try that monte cristo!), we have pretty much the same plan! Fat and Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Amahal420 View Post
    HaHa!! With the exception of us having lunch at Blue Bayou (gotta try that monte cristo!), we have pretty much the same plan! Fat and Happy!
    Aren't the Monte Cristo sandwiches at Cafe Orleans and not Blue Bayou? We haven't been to Disneyland for a couple of years now but they used to be at Cafe Orleans.
    Last edited by Bobbee; 01-14-2014 at 10:50 PM.

The monte is at both at lunch. I'm gonna have it at cafe Orleans because they have those awesome fries with Parmesan and garlic

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    The monte is at both at lunch. I'm gonna have it at cafe Orleans because they have those awesome fries with Parmesan and garlic
    Thank you for the info. We are going back in a few weeks and this is must have info! I agree with you, those fries are amazing.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    also, The Café Orleans will let you split the order, when I order the Monte Cristo, its too much food, so we split one order and its quite OK to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast