Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How to Fix (some of) Adventureland

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    My problem with the Aladdin Oasis area is that the desert motif of it doesn't match with the tropical jungle motif of the rest of it.
    My guess was this was carryover from WDW Adventureland. Themed more south pacific overall the stretch to include the magic carpet ride didn't seem too far fetched.

Except then they go ruin that idea by putting the Aladdin/Jasmine meet and greet in the Epcot Morocco area....<sigh>

Want to clear some of the bad bottlenecks.....get rid of fast pass for Indy, and use the GIANT queue for what it was built for. That will clear up the massive crowd always waiting near the entrance for their fp time to come up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Want to clear some of the bad bottlenecks.....get rid of fast pass for Indy, and use the GIANT queue for what it was built for. That will clear up the massive crowd always waiting near the entrance for their fp time to come up.
    good idea

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I agree with the bottleneck caused by the Indy Fastpass backup, but I wouldn't get ride of it. If your facing Indy, on the right, that wall could be taken back a few feet just to get people who are waiting around out of the way of those trying to walk through or by.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I'd love a view of the Jungle Cruise, but this won't happen because then JC'ers would have a view of the Oasis, which spoils the illusion.
    I really don't think so. At that point of the cruise you are returning to Civilization and for decades before the Oasis had an open view of the JC. Let me go find one of the pictures.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Not the Hawkguy

I think just removing the Bengal Bayou completely and turning the Aladdin's Oasis area into a counter-service eatery and dining area frees up a ton of space, and makes the Indy FP wait people less of a hassle to get around.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Adventureland is my favorite, and really has the biggest variety of greatest Disney attractions, with AA's represented in and Walt's Classic Tiki Room, to the last new E-Ticket attraction that was added to DL - Indy, It also has one of the Biggest attractions at DL on DL's opening Day - the Jungle Cruise, the Tarzan Treehouse in not too bad, and offers some of the best views in all of DL, Aladdin's Oasis was great when they did offer dinner shows, and utilized that facility much better, it also add to the variety scenery in Adventureland. Dole Whip and the Bengal BBQ are two of the most unique and best themed snacks of any land. It really only needs some fine tuning. And other fun little gems like Shrunken Ned and Aladdin's other Magic Lamp, and the penny press is one of the most unique, too. The Adventureland stores, also offer some of the best Land themed merchandise.

Ideas to improve Adventureland

1. Get rid of Fastpass for Indy - this is invariable what causes the the congestion at the entrance to Indy. It would clear away those people waiting for their FP time, and bring back just the one queue for Indy, instead of having the separate Standby and FP queue. It would also free up the Fast Pass Distribution area for some other use, perhaps this would work better as additional seating for Bengal BBQ, as it is right next to Bengal

2. Add more realistic critters to Tarzans Treehouse, and bring back the iconic water wheel from the Swiss Family treehouse. Also dress us the base of the tree house - remember when the little elephant could be seen playing in the water. And when Tarzan first moved here, there was a meet and greet at the base. I would like to see that come back with Tarzan and Jane, and maybe have Simba, Pumbaa, and Timon make occasional appearance. to add a little variety.

3. Better utilization of Aladdin's Oasis, - I like that Aladdin is located in Adventureland, it brings a whole new set of characters to the land, and Aladdin really is the most adventurous of all successful Disney animated movies and LOVE that the Cave of Wonders is a hidden part of Adventureland (Just wish the Aladdin Toon series was available on dvd or on tv more frequently. The easiest way to improve this area would be to bring back the Aladdin Dinner show, and/or trade off with new version of Tahitian Terrace show. The Bigger and grander plan would be as some mentioned, making this and entrance to a brand new e-ticket (which would be built in the current picnic area, near the tram stop)

4. Jungle Cruise - Still a great attraction, but the jungle cruise skippers need more freedom to develop their own individual unique "skipper characters". for DL's 50, we did see some additions. And it would be fun to see some new additions or change ups for DL's 60th. Oh, and for their Jingle Cruise version, c'mon Guys! SPEND SOME MONEY to upgrade the Christmas show next year!!!!!!

5. Indy - Upgrade some of the show scenes, (the new projections on Mara look good, as you enter the first of "3" doors.) but keep up the maintenance on this attraction. They need to replace some of the effects in the darkest areas of the attraction. They also need to add back and/or reinvent the falling ice/lava effect .

6. Tiki Room, Not sure how practical it would be to do this, but if DL was going to make a Christmas version of any attraction, the Tiki Room would seem like a natural for a holiday show, and two songs would fit perfectly "Mele Kalikimaka" and "Christmas Island"

7. Shrunken Ned and Aladdin's other Lamp - add some more spiels for these two guys!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Increased efficiency at the Dole concession is the remedy here, not relocation, IMO. And it looks like that is what Disney has in mind, and it will be a welcome change (though I'm not really a Dole Whip-lover).

I'm not much of a "show" guy, I'll admit; so I'd like to see the Oasis re-purposed into an Adventurer's Club eatery.

"Tarzan's Treehouse" (it'll always be Swiss Family Treehouse, to me) is one of the main factors for the congestion in the area; the addition of the second anchoring "tree" was an unwelcome addition (though maybe necessary in the conversion process, I don't know). However, though I prefer the previous tenants, at least Tarzan's Treehouse supports the Adventureland atmosphere remarkably well. As far as I can see, Adventureland is, by far, the best, most cohesive and coherently themed/designed part of the Park. I don't see a lot in need of fixing.

• Minion

Just getting rid of the bottlenecks in traffic would help a lot.

I don't know what the price is now, but the last time I bought a Dole Whip, the price came to $3.03 with tax. The few extra seconds it took for the cashier to make the change would add up over the course of a day and make the line longer. They should price it so that with tax it comes up to an even amount, like $3.00.

They should make Aladdin's Oasis available again as a counter-service eatery, with a new name and let guests enjoy the view of the Jungle Cruise, the same way that Blue Bayou guests enjoy the view of Pirates. The skippers could make jokes about the people sitting there eating, and vice versa.

The waterwheel in the Swiss Family Treehouse was fascinating to me as a kid, and I wish they would bring that back.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I don't know what the price is now, but the last time I bought a Dole Whip, the price came to $3.03 with tax. The few extra seconds it took for the cashier to make the change would add up over the course of a day and make the line longer. They should price it so that with tax it comes up to an even amount, like $3.00.
    Excellent point--I have often thought this same thing myself. Why not make the cash transaction as easy as possible? Debit/credit card transactions are streamlined, so why not streamline the cash ones as well? It makes perfect sense (cents?) to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    If you're really going to "fix" Adventureland, take the vast amount of real estate currently being used by Jungle Cruise and put in a great new E ticket. Any other changes would be inconsequential. There is just too little space for what could easily be one of the most exciting themed lands.
    I was thinking the other day about how the Submarine Voyage and the Jungle Cruise are very similar rides in the sense that it's a tour of wildlife, one underwater with an automatic narration, the other above water with your own narrator.

This is just a throwaway comment, but it made me wonder exactly how safe this attraction is. Classic beloved Disney rides have been discarded in the past after all.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should make Aladdin's Oasis available again as a counter-service eatery, with a new name and let guests enjoy the view of the Jungle Cruise, the same way that Blue Bayou guests enjoy the view of Pirates. The skippers could make jokes about the people sitting there eating, and vice versa.

The funny thing is, Aladdin's Oasis used to be a counter service restaurant from 1955-1962:

http://www.davelandweb.com/tikiroom/...Restaurant.jpg

(image courtesy Daveland)

Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    If you're really going to "fix" Adventureland, take the vast amount of real estate currently being used by Jungle Cruise and put in a great new E ticket. Any other changes would be inconsequential. There is just too little space for what could easily be one of the most exciting themed lands.
    You must hate Disneyland then. Get ride of Jungle Cruise!?!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX View Post
    I was thinking the other day about how the Submarine Voyage and the Jungle Cruise are very similar rides in the sense that it's a tour of wildlife, one underwater with an automatic narration, the other above water with your own narrator.

This is just a throwaway comment, but it made me wonder exactly how safe this attraction is. Classic beloved Disney rides have been discarded in the past after all.
    Jungle Cruise is much more of an anchor to the land than the Subs are, and are relatively cheaper to run. The fact that they created the Jingle Cruise this year seems like a sign that they plan on keeping the JC around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I wasn't aware that Adventureland was broken. I think it's just great as-is. But I do think Aladdin's Oasis is under-used. It is more than a bathroom though. They do Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine meets there regularly.
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with Adventureland. Aladdin's Oasis needs a real purpose, though. Also, DL isn't MK. The Dole Whips being separate from the Tiki Room just feels wrong at MK, and would at DL, too.
    WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | Moving to L.A. 2014!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast