Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• world class bilge rat

Re: An alternate use for the lagoon

Maybe they could fetch a half-dozen sharks from the ocean, let them swim around the lagoon for a few days without food, then toss the executives in.

Nah, the sharks wouldn't bother them; professional courtesy.......lol.

Seriously though, I like the OPs idea. It wouldn't cost a lot compared to other uses and it would entertain enough people to effectively lower the crowds a bit. Plus, if done well, it would look great.

I wonder if they could build a dry tube through the lagoon with an omnimover type ride mechanism. It would eliminate the loading/unloading staffing issues and underwater transportation issues, though they'd still have to maintain underwater show scenes.

• Minion

Well, if Sea World can build an underwater tube, I don't see why Disneyland couldn't. It wouldn't need to be an Omnimover; a moving sidewalk is enough.

Name:  Shark-encounter.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  68.7 KB

Exactly how deep is the lagoon, though? It seems to me it would need to be considerably deeper to have the desired effect. Granted, that probably wouldn't be too hard.

And if they were going in that direction, wouldn't the easiest thing be theming it to the Gungan World in Star Wars? Those guys pretty much live in underwater containers as it is.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I must say that I am the opposite. The lagoon is nice, but when you compare it to the feeling of being around The Rivers of America, it really is subpar. Replacing it makes perfect sense, and gives the opportunity to finally fix the vagueness of the area between the Moterboat Cruise Dock, The Matterhorn and the Subs. That area needs major work. The forest theme on the outskirts of Tomorrowland's research station or whatever they go with is good, and allows a more natural transition.

I do hope though that they keep some form of water in the new attraction as well as water features in the area. Make the waterfall from The Matterhorn drain into a river that runs through he forest area and toward Tomorrowland. It keeps the kinetics at a much smaller and more Disneyland scale while keeping costs and space overutilization to a minimum.

Aquatopia would also be improbable since the water in its lagoon is maybe an inch or two deep. The cars are on wheels, they're not boats.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    Aquatopia would also be improbable since the water in its lagoon is maybe an inch or two deep. The cars are on wheels, they're not boats.
    It doesn't have to be a straight copy of Aquatopia. Hell, I think a great idea would be to put some boats on a track, and have a clear bottom on the boat so you could see down into the water below, which you could then actually fill with fish.

Remove the subs, keep the lagoon.
    Build an underwater/below water restaurant, a la the Blue Bayou.
    Have three or four set scenes in the lagoon visible from the restaurant, possibly interactive.
    Name the restaurant the Blue Lagoon.
    Bring in Brooke Shields for the dedication (assuming you're old enough to understand the reference )

I'd like to see an aquatopia ride brought to the lagoon if the subs close

• Your cadaverous pallor

I heard that the Lagoon has cracks and is a waist of water to Disney and Anaheim but if they go through with this star wars Garbage than I would love to see Naboo lagoon!

Quote Originally Posted by G242 View Post
    I heard that the Lagoon has cracks and is a waist of water to Disney and Anaheim but if they go through with this star wars Garbage than I would love to see Naboo lagoon!
    Sorry but your post fails big time. Nothing about Star Wars is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Retrofit the Innoventions building to look like the Millennium Falcon and place a new Star Wars-themed attraction inside it.
    This would be very cool... good idea!

Keep the subs and retheme them to be Anything But Nemo.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

If and when the subs go away, I think the lagoon should go with it. It is nice to look at, but along with Autopia its an awful lot of valuable space that isn't really accessible to guests. I'd definitely want a new water feature put in, but in a way that better integrates pathways and attractions. Maybe something similar to DisneySea or the Discovery Bay concept. Right now there's no atmosphere in the area - I feel like I'm admiring the environment from afar instead of actually experiencing it.

I agree that they should find a way to salvage the lagoon. I understand it has a leak and the level of water always has to be maintained. My thinking would be to shorten the depth of water in the tank and possibly put a ride underneath (think Nemo @ Walt Disney World or insert any other idea you'd like to see.) When I go to the aquariums around my area they always have the underwater walkthrough. Its a gorgeous view when you look up and see sea life and fish above. At the same time you keep the gorgeous view from above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast