Training Class Question

So excited I am hired and start next week. I have three classes to take: Traditions, Our California, and Entertainment. Are there any castmembers on here that can tell me what to expect at the classes?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Training Class Question

As a Non-CM I can only offer one thing: They will have you sign a complex, very detailed and very scary Non-Disclosure Agreement, and it's scary for a reason - there is a lot of stuff you will learn that You Can NOT Post Here in detail - or at all.

There are people at the TDA Building where a part of their job is to monitor MiceAge and MiceChat and the other relevant fan sites I'm not allowed to name, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, SnapChat and the rest - if you disclose anything particularly juicy, they will find out.

And if you do, they will call you into an office and have a discussion about it. You might get lucky and get off with a warning, but if it was particularly sensitive you might not. And if you get terminated and branded with "No Rehire" status it is very hard to get rid of.

So put that idea right out of your head, and you'll have a nice career for as far as you want to take it. The pay isn't the greatest (they've always got a line outside the Casting Center door, so they won't pay a premium for entry level stuff) but they will work with you on scheduling Class Time for Cal State Disneyland... Umm, Fullerton.

The only way around that is to abandon this screen name and develop a new identity, and never let it out publicly that you're a CM - and make sure none of your family or friends blab and blow it either. And a few people manage it. But even then if you say the wrong thing they'll still figure out that there's only one way to learn what you posted. And some people live for a challenge.

Don't start down that path, if it hasn't already been released in a Press Release be careful what you say. Even if it's posted in the Cast Member Reference Guide (a little 4-page booklet they give you each week) that isn't necessarily Public Information. When they tell you about upcoming events and attractions, they'll usually tell you what you can say about it at the same time, if not ask your Lead or Supervisor.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC4746 View Post
    So excited I am hired and start next week. I have three classes to take: Traditions, Our California, and Entertainment. Are there any castmembers on here that can tell me what to expect at the classes?
    Congrats! I took my Traditions this fall. I did not have to take the other two classes, but I'll answer what I can about Traditions.

Make sure to dress professionally, but comfortably. Most of the males in attendance were in dress pants with nice shoes and a button up long sleeve dress shirt. Make sure your shoes are comfortable, for you will be doing a lot of walking! The first part of Traditions is some extra training that was not part of the online paperwork, then you get divided into groups and sent into smaller conference rooms within TDA.

After you spend some time with your Traditions "teacher", you break for lunch (you can bring your own or purchase at TDA - I opted to purchase at TDA since I knew in my role I wouldn't be back there too often and I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity). Next, you head to backstage Disneyland proper before heading onstage.

Onstage, your small group talks about the 4 Keys (you will learn a lot about this) and you get some time to take in the moment. At my class there was a young man who had never been to Disneyland before. He was pretty overwhelmed! Make sure you bring a water bottle if the weather is looking like it'll be hot. I didn't think about this when I did Traditions and I was sweating pretty profusely. It was also pretty crowded when I had Traditions so instead of stopping in Toontown, we pretty much just booked it from the Matterhorn to the back of the park at the end of the tour.

After your tour, everyone who is at Traditions goes back to the main auditorium for some wrap-up. It's a long day, make sure you eat a good breakfast, dress professionally, be smart about your shoe choice, make friends, and have fun!!

Can you imagine your first day on the job at Disneyland is also your first time every at Disneyland! OMG that would be too much.

Congratulations Scott! Do you know yet where you'll be working?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Can you imagine your first day on the job at Disneyland is also your first time every at Disneyland! OMG that would be too much.
    I felt bad for him!! He was pretty distracted and I think overwhelmed by all the crowds. I've been to the park dozens and dozens of times, but for someone who's not used to all the sensory input I can see it being pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC4746 View Post
    Someone else posted a good review on traditions. I never had to take the other 2 classes.

Also, don't worry about the "super scary" non-disclosure agreement. Its really not that serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhbau View Post
    Someone else posted a good review on traditions. I never had to take the other 2 classes.

Also, don't worry about the "super scary" non-disclosure agreement. Its really not that serious.
    I wasn't too worried about his comment. He did start of by saying he was a non cast member, but I also know that rumors, news, and other PR stuff should come out of the mouth of PR and not cast members and what happens backstage stays backstage.

I am glad I asked my question about the classes though as I did not realize there would be that much walking and to plan for a long day so it sounds like comfortable shoes, eat breakfast, and plan on at least 8 hours each class.

Psst - I've seen that NDA, and know CM's that have had run-ins with it. Don't discount it too much. They usually choose to be nice, and you Don't want to give them a reason not to be.

And "comfortable shoes" is an everyday thing - depending on where you're assigned to park and to work, you can walk several miles a day just going to and from work. Like parked at the far end of K-Lot because it's full already, walk to the Shuttle, then from Harbor Pointe to the Westside. Then reverse it to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Psst - I've seen that NDA, and know CM's that have had run-ins with it. Don't discount it too much. They usually choose to be nice, and you Don't want to give them a reason not to be.

And "comfortable shoes" is an everyday thing - depending on where you're assigned to park and to work, you can walk several miles a day just going to and from work. Like parked at the far end of K-Lot because it's full already, walk to the Shuttle, then from Harbor Pointe to the Westside. Then reverse it to go home.
    I never had issues with the NDA. I regularly posted things on fb, twitter, etc. that I saw at TDA or backstage or in the cast member booklet. Hell I even sold a few rare artist proof pins they gave on us for our shifts on ebay. never an issue. The whole "big brother" thing is a bit overplayed. There aren't cameras on every corner, they don't care about entry level castmembers unless they do something ridiculous.

But yes, comfortable shoes are so important. I had to walk from Ball lot to Toon Town every day, or from Harbor pointe to toon town, and then stand for 8 hours.

Get yourself a decent pair of all black Nike's.

Hey guys! So, I'm new here and I also start my traditions this week actually. I'm beyond excited. Just wanted to thank you all for the information!

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by itsmarissaadams View Post
    Hey guys! So, I'm new here and I also start my traditions this week actually. I'm beyond excited. Just wanted to thank you all for the information!
    Congrats and good luck Marissa.
    FWIW, you can contact the mods here and get your name changed without losing your current profile if your afraid of Disney reading something you post. Just a thought.

Cheers,
    Scott

Marissa and Scott, congratulations on your new jobs. May you always have parking when you need it.

So many of us will never have the honor of being CMs and live vicariously through you as you work hard to make others' fantasies real. But if the Mouse has a secret, we don't need to know.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Congrats to our new CMs!

Hint to all CM's - I got a pair for work too. Dickies Venue II all-black 'Slip Resistant Work Shoes' (Athletic Style) at Costco (Item 682144) for $19.99. I'll give them a few days and report back.

Round up someone with a membership, good things like this tend to go fast. Especially the big and small sizes.