Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Space Mountain most common ride for injuries - LA Times

I saw this article in the LA Times the other day and I haven't seen it posted here. The Readers Digest version is that it tracks all sorts of theme park injuries. While they are very rare overall, oddly enough, Space Mountain leads the pack. I'm surprised that it is higher up on the list than some of the more extreme coasters at Knotts.

With 120 injury reports from 2007 to 2012 (and those include things like motion sickness, slipping and falling while boarding, etc.) it's clearly still very rare even on Space Mountain - but it's food for thought for me, personally. I stopped riding Tower of Terror because it was giving me headaches. The injury reports themselves are quite interesting. It seems that 98% are "user error" (there's one where someone had a seizure...but then said that they had a history of seizures and hadn't taken their meds that day) but there are a lot of other people who have headaches from the coasters. There's also one guy who had a subdural hematoma after riding Maliboomer, Big Thunder Mountain (9 times) and California Screamin'.

Nausea, dizziness, fainting are most common theme park ailments - latimes.com
    Last edited by Malina; 01-15-2014 at 08:04 PM.

• The doctor is in

Re: Space Mountain most common ride for injuries - LA Times

You are more likely to get hurt at home than on any Disney ride. Not bad.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

I'm surprised I thought Tower of Terror would cause the most injuries.
    It causes problems for me too, I faint from light headedness it causes so I sadly can't ride it anymore. It used to be one of my favorites too.

• Artistic integrity

I question the piece for possible bias.

Notice .. they make ZERO mention of Magic Mountain.

The place with the wildest coasters for all of Southern California.

Is anyone going to say Six Flags Magic Mountain is clear of any injuries from their coasters? They will trump every other SoCal park, without question.

And according to their logic .. Space Mountain's age has a lot to do with it's rate of injuries.

What utter rubbish. In Space Mountain's entire tenure .. even in recent years .. it's just as smooth, and as safe as the first day I rode it - in 1977. For a ride that does endless right turns, and a few drops that are about 10 feet tall?

HOWEVER .... Where I think the problem lays - Space Mountain is a "hidden" rollercoaster in the dark. And some riders are probably a tad too old, and ignore any pre-existing condition they have .. and ride it.

And I laugh at PotC's list of injuries. A slow boat ride! Are you kidding me????

Because Disneyland is a family park .. that attracts even the "frail" .... push their own limits, and end up with minor to moderate "scrapes".

If Magic Mountain's injuries are lower ... than I would equate the fact, most people realize how crazy their coasters are .. and just don't go. And only the strong, and young will attempt them.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-15-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Under that tree again!

TL67 when going on number of incidents DLR is usually going to be at the top, because it has more visitors.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleeddy View Post
    It causes problems for me too, I faint from light headedness it causes so I sadly can't ride it anymore. It used to be one of my favorites too.
    When Tower of Terror first opened .. the constant "up and down" in the last minute of the ride gave me a type of headache too. I learned to tilt my head looking straight up. By doing that, rather than put a "vertical" strain on my head, it became a "lateral" push, like having my head looking forward. Which made for an easier ride. But then I stopped going. Because I think it's one of the lamest attractions the DLR ever created. One showroom scene worth 1 measly minute .. and then the gyrating "headache inducing" up and down .. up and down .. up and down.

So, try my trick by keeping your head looking up .. during the entire gyrating bunny-hop part of the ride.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    TL67 when going on number of incidents DLR is usually going to be at the top, because it has more visitors.
    Good thing to point out!

Surely .. Knott's and Magic Mountain do not have Disneyland's yearly attendance.

Oh ... what about Universal?

They made no mention there.

The Jurrasic Park ride? The Mummy coaster ride?

EDIT ....

About Ghost Rider.

I rode that thing when it was new. I barely remember riding it then ... but I know I enjoyed it. No complaints - I thought it was fine, and fun.

Then I rode it again for Halloween Haunt 2012. OH MY FREAKING GOD!

Now I've ridden plenty of coasters .. some of them wild .. in my time .. and Colossus in Magic Mountain ... that can get rocky .. in it's older state now.....

BUT Ghost Rider ... was so utterly rocky .. and it often lifted off it's metal rail .. then hitting hard. I'm mean .. like really hard. There was absolutely no enjoyment in the ride whatsoever! I didn't complain to park management. It would have been a waste of time. It seriously needs a complete refurb .. new track .. or demolish that piece of junk IMMEDIATELY. I fortunately did not let it ruin my Halloween Haunt. So .. I'm not surprised to know ... that is up there ... in injuries. And is off my list, forever.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-15-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• world class bilge rat

Considering how many people ride Space Mountain, I'd say that's a really good safety record!

• Minion

I just love how the Disneyland Railroad some how managed to make the list as well, it tied Tower and beat out Big Thunder!
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Good thing to point out!

Surely .. Knott's and Magic Mountain do not have Disneyland's yearly attendance.

EDIT ....

About Ghost Rider.

I rode that thing when it was new. I barely remember riding it then ... but I know I enjoyed it. No complaints - I thought it was fine, and fun.

Now I've ridden plenty of coasters .. some of them wild .. in my time .. and Colossus in Magic Mountain ... that can get rocky .. in it's older state now.....

BUT Ghost Rider ... was so utterly rocky .. and it often lifted off it's metal rail .. then hitting hard. I'm mean .. like really hard. There was absolutely no enjoyment in the ride whatsoever! I didn't complain to park management. It would have been a waste of time. It seriously needs a complete refurb .. new track .. or demolish that piece of junk IMMEDIATELY. I fortunately did not let it ruin my Halloween Haunt. So .. I'm not surprised to know ... that is up there ... in injuries. And is off my list, forever.
    I actually believed I was going to die on Ghost Rider, it felt and sounded like the whole thing was going to collapse any second.

There isn't a ride at Disneyland or DCA that compares to the bone jarring, psychologically scarring experience of the Ghost Rider.

Thus, I am skeptical about the accuracy of that study.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Good thing to point out!

EDIT ....

About Ghost Rider.

The last time I was at Knott's, several years back, I rode some other ride, don't recall which it was. But for some reason on this ride I guess I was sitting a bit forward in the seat before it started, holding on to the safety bar. When the ride started it took off like a shot and I slid back in the seat hard and bruised my tailbone. That was the first time I've ever had any kind of injury ever on a ride anywhere. But anyway, I wasn't going to let that ruin my day so we just continued on to the next ride. Which was, yes you guessed it, Ghost Rider. Oh. My. Lord. Talk about absolute misery.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    I actually believed I was going to die on Ghost Rider, it felt and sounded like the whole thing was going to collapse any second.

There isn't a ride at Disneyland or DCA that compares to the bone jarring, psychologically scarring experience of the Ghost Rider.

Thus, I am skeptical about the accuracy of that study.
    When I went to Knott's last year I was truly in excruciating pain after the Ghost Rider. As a healthy 18 year old I never thought any ride could break me. Ghost Rider broke me. That was by far the most painful ride I have ever been on. However my friends and I rode it 5 more times that day despite the horrible pain we experienced. I found the very front seat is manageable and the second from the back seat is alright (front of back car). However the very back seat is just horrible.

Honestly It's really the only ride I've been on that's caused me pain. My god was it horrible.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• MaliBOOMer

Double post.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Minion

RE: POtC: I have had asthma attacks from the increased fog in the ride (and I'm not going to get into another argument about the fog or what's in it...it doesn't matter and I really did have an attack) and when I went to first aid I was told that it had happened before. It's not a biggie, I just avoid the ride altogether now. I'm wondering if the reports filed about the ride are things like people slipping as they board or disembark from the boats.

RE: the parks they covered: I wonder about that too. On the documents page they do mention Universal and say that none of its rides made the Top 10, but I was surprised not to see anything from Magic Mountain. They have so many extreme rides.

ETA: I was curious so I did some Googling. I can't figure out how to access the files that the Times did (possibly, I can't) but I did find a bunch of incidents at Magic Mountain. In particular there's apparently one coaster that has made numerous people black out. I have to think the LAT didn't look at them.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-15-2014 at 10:03 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleeddy View Post
    I actually was surprised by that too. It seems as though it's the roughest ride at the parks, overall, and the one with the highest G-force. I am also bummed not to be able to ride ToT anymore. When I have friends who ride, I will go through with them just so I can still see the queue and the inside of the hotel, and then ask to cut out through the chicken exit.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast