Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Some Disneyland rumors I'm wondering about.

Well why do I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel on Space Mountain then? The air just moves faster at that point on the Earth than anywhere else?

There has to be some sort of fan blowing air on you.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Well why do I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel on Space Mountain then? The air just moves faster at that point on the Earth than anywhere else?

There has to be some sort of fan blowing air on you.
    Think about this...

As you move down the track there would have to be a fan every 6 feet or so to keep a constant feel of air on you. With lights on, that would be incredibly obvious.

Also, since the air feels like it is coming from straight in front of you, they would have to be incredibly close to the sides or overhead of the vehicles. A huge safety issue.

There are no fans.

Here is a really high quality video of part of the ride with all the lights on.

You can clearly see no fans.

It feels the way it does because it is an enclosed space and you are fairly often passing through confined spaces between stairs and walkways and close to building walls. There is a good chance the HVAC for the building is up pretty good to exchange the air in there and keep it fresh, but that is not fans blowing on you to make you feel like you are going faster.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by camerondon View Post
    Indiana Jones at Disneyland has big giant industrial fans to make you feel like you are going faster. The ride never goes above 15mph and if it does the attraction breaks down. You can actually see one of the fans past the mummy room on the left, right before the bugs sequence.
    I doubt that anywhere close the reason. You slow down in that segment.

In The Temple of Doom, Indy enters a passage that had air moving through it. In this passage he encounters skeletons in the wall, and bugs.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by PrototypeX85 View Post
    Just curious as to how valid the following rumors are:

-The skull above the bed in Pirates of the Caribbean is a real human skull. I'm referring to the one before you pass through the Davy Jones head, in the room full of treasure.

-On Main Street, the buildings become closer together as you walk into Disneyland. This gives the impression that the walk is longer than it really is. On the contrary, this means that the buildings grow further apart as you are on your way out of the park, making you want to visit more shops on the way out in order to extend your stay.

-There are fans blowing at your throughout Space Mountain in order to give the illusion that you are traveling faster than you really are.

-There is a small gold dot on the ground somewhere around Sleeping Beauty Castle that marks the center of Disneyland.

That's all I have for now.

Skull - True
    MS Buildings - False
    Space Fan - False (been on it too many times with bright lights on)
    Gold Spike - So true, but it marked the exact center of the property when it was installed

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by judearmstrong View Post
    Skull - True
    MS Buildings - False
    Space Fan - False (been on it too many times with bright lights on)
    Gold Spike - So true, but it marked the exact center of the property when it was installed
    As has been shown, the gold spike did not mark the center of the property at any time. The parking lot skews it drastically, and even if you look at Disneyland itself with, or without the backstage areas, it doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by camerondon View Post
    Indiana Jones at Disneyland has big giant industrial fans to make you feel like you are going faster. The ride never goes above 15mph and if it does the attraction breaks down. You can actually see one of the fans past the mummy room on the left, right before the bugs sequence.
    Those fans used to blow in the early days of the ride to simulate wind in the chamber with bones. If you were lucky enough to ride back in early 95, the winds were incredibly strong in that room.

To really, actually, truthfully put to rest the gold spike myth:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...0.k3oSb3ZpMhJE

That's a map of the park, with the 1955 park boundaries (aka "the berm") overlaid on top of it. The gold diamond represents the location of the spike, on the back side of the castle entryway. For the spike to represent the geographical center of the park, the area behind the spike (which contained the carousel, Dumbo, and the area that would become Storybookland) would have had to have been as long as Main Street. This should also put to rest the "original property" rumor, because the parking lot extended well far down into what is now DCA, and there's not nearly an equivalent amount of room behind the spike toward Ball Rd to match.

Despite what cast members say, the spike is a survey marker for Main St, nothing more.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember in the Superspeed Tunnels of Tron there were fans blowing as the peoplemover rode by. Maybe that's where the fans on SM rumor came from?

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Those fans used to blow in the early days of the ride to simulate wind in the chamber with bones. If you were lucky enough to ride back in early 95, the winds were incredibly strong in that room.
    Those fans still are really strong. At least they were when I was there a few years ago. I lost a hat in that room, despite it having a drawstring which what tightened. When I asked the CMs about getting it back, they said that I could come back at a later point in time and claim it from amongst the many hats that get blown off, there, every day.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Google Earth can also be used to measure the distance of the buildings on Main Street from each other. It is uniform down the length of the street. This is pretty obvious actually if you think about it. The effect would work well ONLY from Town Square. If you were at the castle looking back, it would look really odd and totally ruin the view. Plus the width of the sidewalks and street don't change and to pull this mythical illusion off, they would have to. Also, there is no psychological reason for why a widening street would make people want to shop.
    Exactly.
    The only strategies employed on Main Street is that the buildings are built at 5/8 scale and (allegedly) that the smell of cotton candy is pumped into the air, both effects adding to the charm and coziness of the feel of this area.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Exactly.
    The only strategies employed on Main Street is that the buildings are built at 5/8 scale and (allegedly) that the smell of cotton candy is pumped into the air, both effects adding to the charm and coziness of the feel of this area.
    If I'm not mistaken, they also blow the smell of waffle cones from Gibson Girl as well don't they?
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

There is one more thing I just thought of. I know it's not a "rumor" as I used to see it plenty of times.

On Pirates of the Caribbean, there was a shooting star that would move across the sky from the cabin to over the Blue Bayou. However, on recent trips I've tried showing it to people and end up feeling stupid because it just doesn't seem to be there anymore. What happened?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they also blow the smell of waffle cones from Gibson Girl as well don't they?
    Disney uses subtle simulated smells throughout the park. Many of the Main Street Stores have fake smells enhanced right outside their doors, while some of the parade floats and attractions also have subtle enhanced smells.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post

See that grating/opening under the window? That's where they pump the smells out; there's one on most of the Main Street buildings with food.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I remember in the Superspeed Tunnels of Tron there were fans blowing as the peoplemover rode by. Maybe that's where the fans on SM rumor came from?
    I agree, that part is near space mountain had fans blowing on the People Mover to simulate Tron cycles (before that motor cycles). Someone mixed that up with SM probably.

I'm not sure why people think there needs to be fans. Have you stuck your hand out of the car window even only going 30 mph? there is a lot of wind. The Santa Anas here have been 30mph and its knocked down lawn furniture and plants. No fans needed.

As far as the tunnel, it might just be the air temp difference between the unload area and the ride, kind of like the breeze you get walking into the mall when the door opens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast