Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Some Disneyland rumors I'm wondering about.

Just curious as to how valid the following rumors are:

-The skull above the bed in Pirates of the Caribbean is a real human skull. I'm referring to the one before you pass through the Davy Jones head, in the room full of treasure.

-On Main Street, the buildings become closer together as you walk into Disneyland. This gives the impression that the walk is longer than it really is. On the contrary, this means that the buildings grow further apart as you are on your way out of the park, making you want to visit more shops on the way out in order to extend your stay.

-There are fans blowing at your throughout Space Mountain in order to give the illusion that you are traveling faster than you really are.

-There is a small gold dot on the ground somewhere around Sleeping Beauty Castle that marks the center of Disneyland.

That's all I have for now.
    Last edited by PrototypeX85; 01-16-2014 at 02:01 AM.

• Minion

Re: Some Disneyland rumors I'm wondering about.

I know the one for the center marker is true, there it is

Name:  This_spike_marks_the_exact_center_of_Disneyland-32755.JPEG
Views: 2121
Size:  39.4 KB

I don't know about the PotC or SM rumors so I won't speak to those, but as far as main street goes, I believe its actually more to do with the height of the buildings and they get gradually shorter to make the castle seem bigger then it really is (more important in DL then in MK). as for spacing, apart from town square the buildings are pretty much all just butted up against each other with one gap in the middle on each side if memory serves correctly
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

PotC skull is true - it's real.

EDIT:

The one on the headboard.
    Last edited by SunsetLament; 01-16-2014 at 05:25 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The only rumor you've listed that may be true is the skull. Everything else has been verified as incorrect throughout the years.

The gold marker is simply a survey marker and is definitely not the center of the park. The next claim is that it was on opening day, but even then it does not seem to be true.

The fan rumor can be proven incorrect by looking at pictures of the attraction with the lights on.

Finally, alternate versions of this rumor include that the buildings get taller or shorter, or, that features on the buildings or the street are changed, moved or become bigger or smaller. However, the only real version of forced perspective that is confirmed to be in use on Main Street USA and throughout the park is that the second stories of the buildings are made smaller than normal to give a sense of scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The only rumor you've listed that may be true is the skull. Everything else has been verified as incorrect throughout the years.

The gold marker is simply a survey marker and is definitely not the center of the park.
    We have a Disneyland DVD, which we bought from Disneyland, and it states that the bronze circle was placed there, to mark the geographical center of the property.

It is located on the back side of the castle entrance (the underpass), as soon as you walk out and cross into Fantasyland.

I've stood at that point, and often wondered how it could be the center, because it seems to be set farther back from the front entrance of the park (the main gates). but I suppose they are taking into account the complete property, which includes a lot of land behind Toontown (behind the scenes). Also, if you look at Disneyland on Google Maps, the castle doesn't look like it's in the dead center, but then, the property is not circular, so it's hard to judge. I'm just reporting what was told in an official Disney 'Park Facts' DVD.
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 01-16-2014 at 05:52 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    We have a Disneyland DVD, which we bought from Disneyland, and it states that the bronze circle was placed there, to mark the geographical center of the property.

It is located on the back side of the castle entrance (the underpass), as soon as you walk out and cross into Fantasyland.

I've stood at that point, and often wondered how it could be the center, because it seems to be set farther back from the front entrance of the park (the main gates). but I suppose they are taking into account the complete property, which includes a lot of land behind Toontown (behind the scenes). Also, if you look at Disneyland on Google Maps, the castle doesn't look like it's in the dead center, but then, the property is not circular, so it's hard to judge. I'm just reporting what was told in an official Disney 'Park Facts' DVD.
    One of the reasons so many Disney legends persist is because they are retold by Cast Members, on tours and in promotional materials.

It can be hard to see by looking at modern maps because of the many additions and alterations to the park and the berm since opening day, as well as the fact that it is unclear whether this was supposed to be the center of the guest areas, or whether it included backstage. But, the truth of the matter is that the far edge of the Rivers of America is farther from that point than the edge of Disneyland's property on the East side. Those two things have not dramatically changed, meaning that it would be basically impossible for the marker to be the center of the park. Similarly, Main Street's length would put the other side of the park somewhere in Toontown. Whether the marker includes Toontown or not, it doesn't work properly either way.

Considering it is a survey marker, its location is very exact (within fractions of an inch). If it were the true center of the park, it would reflect it quite obviously. If you look, survey markers are common and are placed all over. Disneyland has several, as do most cities.

• Minion

It's funny, that same Disneyland video also places Pirates of the Caribbean in Adventureland. There is a bit of fact checking needed in those videos.

• Hooterville, USA

Here's a thread from the past that will help you.

Lets put an end to the myths...

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm a Lutheran

According to Jason Surrell's Pirates of the Caribbean From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, all of the skeletons in Pirates on opening day were initially real human remains borrowed from a medical school, as fake skeletons back in the day weren't as convincing. Apparently, once good, real skeletons were installed sometime later, the real ones were sent to proper homes. The skull on the headboard is real.

So, if Jason is telling the truth, then the skeletons you see in this video are real human remains.

Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• I'm not really here

The marker at the castle is not the center of anything. Except the centerline N/S of Main Street. If you get on Google Earth with the ruler and measure from it to the edges of the property (N/S or E/W), or the edges of the public areas of the park, both currently and opening day, it is really far off the center. It is merely a marker to make sure that Main Street stayed straight.

Google Earth can also be used to measure the distance of the buildings on Main Street from each other. It is uniform down the length of the street. This is pretty obvious actually if you think about it. The effect would work well ONLY from Town Square. If you were at the castle looking back, it would look really odd and totally ruin the view. Plus the width of the sidewalks and street don't change and to pull this mythical illusion off, they would have to. Also, there is no psychological reason for why a widening street would make people want to shop.

Fans on Space Mountain I'm going to call as not true. Given that you can't actually see anything, so you have no reference by which to judge your speed, they don't really need this. Also, in video and photos of the ride with the lights on, I have never once seen a fan.

As to the skull and crossbones on the Pirate Captain's bed's headboard, I have heard this quite a few times from quite a number of places. I have no solid proof one way or the other on this one. I'm inclined to believe that it isn't actually a real skull, but a cast of a real skull. But again, I am not certain about this one either way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Disneyland Dreamer

As others have stated, the brass marker is simply a survey marker for the alignment of mainstreet to the castle N/S.

On opening day, the center of the park was the center of the hub. Nowadays it is where princess fantasy faire is due to the expansions of toon town/North Fantasyland, and NOS being built out.

I just finished listening to an EarzUp! podcast that gave the exact locations of every real and not-real skull in Pirates, they say that there are indeed real skeletons (and skeleton parts) in Pirates, but the one over the bed is NOT real. They say that their source is someone who currently works at disneyland in the props department for pirates or something. Sounds pretty legitimate.

Heres a link to the podcast where they talk about it: Disneyland Annual Passport - Is it right for you? • EarzUp!

and heres a link to the blog where the photos are: The Only Real Skeletons In Disneyland • EarzUp!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Even then, you just never know with these things. That prop cast member may just be passing along the rumors that everyone else tells in their department.

oh thats a good point. I just happened to be listening to that show last ngiht and thoguht I'd come here to check it out. Thanks!"

Indiana Jones at Disneyland has big giant industrial fans to make you feel like you are going faster. The ride never goes above 15mph and if it does the attraction breaks down. You can actually see one of the fans past the mummy room on the left, right before the bugs sequence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast